Review Hamish 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't ever see James Rowe as ever being an "elite" AFL small forward because he just doesn't have the speed or defensive pressure which are key to being an "elite" small forward. Time will be the judge of that.
When did I say Rowe was elite? I was only talking generalisations between SANFL and AFL level.

I'm not one to lament on the loss of Gooch, he's had his chances. Though I think Gooch falls more in the group of bust development, for whatever reasons.
I would have given him a Rookie list given last year* and he had a serious injury instead of Mackay as he shown he did have the talent to play in the AFL but somehow didn't want to run both ways.

I don't ever see James Rowe as ever being an "elite" AFL small forward because he just doesn't have the speed or defensive pressure which are key to being an "elite" small forward. Time will be the judge of that.
He's an opportunistic forward, he can't create something the way the elites can. That's fine, but will limit how good he can be.

He's an opportunistic forward, he can't create something the way the elites can. That's fine, but will limit how good he can be.
If he can kick his 35 goals a year that'll be fine. He'll probably get to 25 this year.

I'm not one to lament on the loss of Gooch, he's had his chances. Though I think Gooch falls more in the group of bust development, for whatever reasons.

Sometimes it seems this board tries to fit everything into black and white (not talking race) categories, where there are many shades of grey. With Gooch, I feel like there was something in his attitude that caused his development to stall, whether he liked to party more than train, or didn't like the harder stuff when he had to step up against the bigger bodied men (was more physically developed as a kid than most of his U18 peers). Why did he never dominate a SANFL match? Even Poholke, who many said was found out at AFL level, dominated some SANFL games. Gooch had all the attributes on paper, and in athletic testing with no physical pressure he dominated, but we rarely saw his vertical leap or athleticism on an actual footy field. Should have had either elite overhead marking or chase down tackling. Coaches also gave him a rocket publicly for his attitude which never bodes well, then bad injuries at the wrong times hurt his chances in multiple seasons.

Gave me serious Atkins like, downhill skier vibes, might look great in a team like Richmond or Geelong where you've got other guys doing the hard grunt work for him, but in the most recent Crows game vs St Kilda, would he have been the one chasing in the 4th and sparking a massive come from behind win? Is he the guy to sacrifice his game for the other players on the field? Gut-running and tackling? Not sure. Richmond had a look at him for a free-hit in pre-season and didn't want him, everyone else passed mid-season. Is this our recruiting team's fault, or is it down to the player not leaving every stone un-turned to make himself the best. He had a taste of AFL, that is better than most footy players get a chance to do, and he may be relatively content now to go at 75% and be a decent VFL player. Just turned 23 though, so may still have time to pull the finger out and get another crack.

In AFL with the ball in hand, he did in general look better than Chayce Jones currently does, although hopefully Jones can work his way through all the voices in his head and find the player we hoped he would be. Looked better in the 2nd half against St Kilda with some of his lines and speedy forward forays. A win like that will do his confidence no harm, but still more to work on than most.

Sometimes hard to identify this sort of stuff just from watching U18 vision and conducting 3 interviews.
Recruiting, development, player attitude, physical development, injury.
What actually shocks me more than anything with the above is why half the players can't kick the ball to where they want while under pressure.

Lever a cross? He’s likely All Australian this year. I’m by no means a Hamish defender, quite the opposite actually, but his job is talent ID. What happens after that is on the clubs list management team. Ogilvie knocked that pick out of the park.

Not really. For a start it ignores premium position value.

Lever plays a cheap position fairly well, meh. the intention was certainly that he would shift over and become a more key defender able to anchor a defence

Instead now he’s a cheap 3rd intercept

You wouldn’t call him a fail but he’s no tick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes it seems this board tries to fit everything into black and white (not talking race) categories, where there are many shades of grey. With Gooch, I feel like there was something in his attitude that caused his development to stall, whether he liked to party more than train, or didn't like the harder stuff when he had to step up against the bigger bodied men (was more physically developed as a kid than most of his U18 peers). Why did he never dominate a SANFL match? Even Poholke, who many said was found out at AFL level, dominated some SANFL games. Gooch had all the attributes on paper, and in athletic testing with no physical pressure he dominated, but we rarely saw his vertical leap or athleticism on an actual footy field. Should have had either elite overhead marking or chase down tackling. Coaches also gave him a rocket publicly for his attitude which never bodes well, then bad injuries at the wrong times hurt his chances in multiple seasons.

Gave me serious Atkins like, downhill skier vibes, might look great in a team like Richmond or Geelong where you've got other guys doing the hard grunt work for him, but in the most recent Crows game vs St Kilda, would he have been the one chasing in the 4th and sparking a massive come from behind win? Is he the guy to sacrifice his game for the other players on the field? Gut-running and tackling? Not sure. Richmond had a look at him for a free-hit in pre-season and didn't want him, everyone else passed mid-season. Is this our recruiting team's fault, or is it down to the player not leaving every stone un-turned to make himself the best. He had a taste of AFL, that is better than most footy players get a chance to do, and he may be relatively content now to go at 75% and be a decent VFL player. Just turned 23 though, so may still have time to pull the finger out and get another crack.

In AFL with the ball in hand, he did in general look better than Chayce Jones currently does, although hopefully Jones can work his way through all the voices in his head and find the player we hoped he would be. Looked better in the 2nd half against St Kilda with some of his lines and speedy forward forays. A win like that will do his confidence no harm, but still more to work on than most.

Sometimes hard to identify this sort of stuff just from watching U18 vision and conducting 3 interviews.
Recruiting, development, player attitude, physical development, injury.
What actually shocks me more than anything with the above is why half the players can't kick the ball to where they want while under pressure.
He worked really hard this off-season to get himself into shape after we cut him, that may not have been his attitude all the time previously, but he just generally seems to have a problem that would put off a lot of teams in that he struggles to find a lot of the ball.

Now there was certainly reasons why he didn't dominate SANFL games that was down to coaching and the position he was put in, but even in those games where he was spending a lot of time in the midfield he had the same sort of issues Jones has had at times where it seems like the ball is allergic to him.

Lever. Cross. Failed character review which might have indicated he would leave at first opportunity.
Milera. Tick.
Doedee. Tick.
Galluci. Cross. Delisted.
Fogarty. Tick. Could still turn into a cross though.
Jones. Cross. Failed midfielder taking up a half back spot that will go to Milera upon return from injury.
McHenry. Tick. Sort of.
McAsey. Too early but hasn't been good so far.
Thilthorpe. Tick.
Pedlar. Too early but looks good.

If McAsey and Pedlar become good AFL players it's 70 percent strike rate.
Would like better than that from first rounders. More like 90 percent.
This is too simplistic.

Really need to consider the dire state of our 'midfield'.

The midfield is the most important part of the list yet we don't have one despite throwing numerous first and second rounders at it.

That's where Hamish's limitations really got exposed.

He's not good at picking midfielders with early picks.

This is too simplistic.

The midfield is the most important part of the list yet we don't have one despite throwing numerous first and second rounders at it.

Pedlar, Berry, Jones and McHenry.....give it a few years.

Ha ha - pretty hard on old Hamish and his crew on here. Any other job recruiter will look at a CV and has the benefit of employing based on experience.

These blokes don’t have that luxury at all. Quite the opposite. There is no experience to look at.

I'd be surprised if the club ever used a top 10 pick on a key defender again
Our recruiting of midfielders has been really poor for a lot of years, lets hope the recent draftees can change that

I'd be surprised if the club ever used a top 10 pick on a key defender again
Our recruiting of midfielders has been really poor for a lot of years, lets hope the recent draftees can change that
With how well Butts has developed off the Rookie list you'd have to think KPP defenders in the first round won't happen again for us for a long time

With how well Butts has developed off the Rookie list you'd have to think KPP defenders in the first round won't happen again for us for a long time

But even Butts was a highly rated by some. Knightmare had him in his top 20 in his draft year. Pretty sure Bicks was a fan also.

I think as club, AFC have done incredible with the KPD rookies we have picked up and Butts has been fantastic this year
Hopefully that sways them to not use a 1st rounder on a KPD any time soon

This is too simplistic.

Ahhh dear, it was always going to happen when you've been proven wrong.

Love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back