Can Robert Harvey coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think one reason for moving on bucks and having a caretaker is so that Graeme Wright can have more hands on influence and the club can go into list building mode. I'd expect in the second half of the year we continue to blood players and really find out who can play and in what capacity

Been tried and failed. I'd like to see Kelly tried down back and Daicos in the guts

Daic's has been playing predominantly midfield.

It depends on how much the players relate and want to play for him. After Bucks going and no prospect of making the eight it will be tough from him to get them up. Some will be playing for their careers which might help, but will ALL the team buy in for the rest of the season? Harvs is an introvert and doesn’t have the public persona of Bucks. He has had a strong development career as a coach and a great career as a player. I wish him well in the knowledge that he couldn’t have a tougher period to show what he has to offer as a coach.

It depends on how much the players relate and want to play for him. After Bucks going and no prospect of making the eight it will be tough from him to get them up. Some will be playing for their careers which might help, but will ALL the team buy in for the rest of the season? Harvs is an introvert and doesn’t have the public persona of Bucks. He has had a strong development career as a coach and a great career as a player. I wish him well in the knowledge that he couldn’t have a tougher period to show what he has to offer as a coach.

What do you mean ‘he couldn’t have a tougher period to show what he has to offer as a coach?

We are the form team of the competition. Last week we beat the only team to beat the top team, we then beat the top team.

We are flying.

What do you mean ‘he couldn’t have a tougher period to show what he has to offer as a coach?

We are the form team of the competition. Last week we beat the only team to beat the top team, we then beat the top team.

We are flying.
Lol, now that is a glass half full analysis. Hope you are right long-term.

For sizeable chunks of time for most of the year

Yep, started slow following an interrupted preseason, played the first couple of games at HF, moved to a wing for a week, then into the guts. Been predominantly there ever since.

This is a very good question, on face value he is our midfield and transition coach (up until Monday). If you look at Monday then you'd say great, if you look at the last two and a half seasons you'd run for the hills.

Of course he is not solely responsible for the midfield and transition and a lot of that is on the panel as a whole, so the litmus test can't be on a small sample size.

The greater questions are can he be the 'leader' of the panel and the team, get the most out of his coaching panel to develop game and players?

If he's smart he won't try to reinvent the wheel, he'll stick to largely what is the goal of the game plan. My tip is that is what Monday looks like, or hope so at least.

I suspect that Sando won't be there next year regardless of Harves pinching the job or not, unless of course Harves holds firm and wants to keep him. However going on the last decade of 'decisions' I think the winds of change will say that the club will be averse to 'gambles' like that, especially since GW will likely make the recommendations on the FD and how and who operates within it.

So we don't know, and won't know after the next game - we'll likely know by seasons end.

For mine, I would rather Nathan stay on for the development of the squad and game as they gain continuity together. Would that have changed Monday's different game? Who knows, I just think it would've been more stable to hold for the rest of the year while GW and co can find the new coach for next year which they've probably already been doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a good read.

TL;DR version, because they couldn't really hand the reigns over to Bucks' best mate now could they.

Skipworth has been there for five minutes relatively speaking in comparison to Harvey so you're not giving him the job either.

Harvey won a race in one for the caretaker coach role.

Last edited:
Any person who has been in the AFL system for that long must be good at their job.
The AFL system quickly exposes weaknesses & spits out those who are below standard.
I find it laughable that he is ridiculed by BF posters who don’t have 5% of his Football knowledge.
Posters who have no idea how he operates day to day within the Club.
Social media know it alls...who know nothing in reality.
Shame on you.

Agree - when you’ve gone deep into the selection process and made the short list for senior jobs, then that’s instructive.
He’s not incompetent as many here suggest.

Right at this moment, this is the charting thread on coaching in the Pie forum. Nothing on who people want to see as coach...nothing on why buckley isnt a good coach. It's a curious thing.

Just as an aside, two of the likely people to become coach are Voss and Mitchell. Both I find teeth grating. It could be an interesting dynamic if either win the race.

Harvey may be the greatest coach the AFL has seen. Has yet to coach a game, yet as it stands now, the Pies have moved up 1 spot on the ladder. Could possibly be 2 spots after this round is done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back