Is it time for Michael Christian to go

Remove this Banner Ad

The amount of normal tackles being called dangerous and bumps being called on potential or injury will eventually cause fan loss.
Don’t think it would make a noticeable difference for the AFL

They have the monopoly on the sport with no real competition unless you want to follow a local league or club but the loss of even 1000 fans across the league wouldn’t make any difference for them

If Christian goes it'll only be because GWS need the same wage relief from head office for Leon Cameron as what North Melbourne got when they moved on Brad Scott with $ owing.

Shocking should be the first to go. Late faux head high spoils, elbows and tunnelling have been unpenalised by Umps and MRO has no interest.

Fair enough to address head high bumps and dangerous tackles, but the focus is narrow. It is like games being umped by 'rule of the week'.

Tunnelling is cowardly and obviously can cause serious injury.

Shocking should be the first to go. Late faux head high spoils, elbows and tunnelling have been unpenalised by Umps and MRO has no interest.

Fair enough to address head high bumps and dangerous tackles, but the focus is narrow. It is like games being umped by 'rule of the week'.

Tunnelling is cowardly and obviously can cause serious injury.

Yeah there have been so many players shoving other players in the air and noone is picking up on it.

Of course it will be all the news once someone ends up injured. But the AFL also needs to punish staging. With big fines. And stop rewarding players who duck or initiate high contact.

There is zero consistency.

How many incidents this year where 2 players with the sole focus being the ball has resulted in serious injury …unless I’m mistaken, it’s one. This is the greatest beat-up of all time.

A rule update is simple : If you are going for the ball but are second to the ball (I’d include a time or distance for clarity … 0.1 seconds or something similar) then you become responsible for any damage whether you choose to bump or not. And you only face suspension if the player you injure misses a week or more. If you are first to the ball or reach it simultaneously, ala Mackay and Clark, and you have eyes for the ball it’s fair game.

You cannot possibly legislate with a rule that says anything along the lines of penalising players for attacking the ball with too much speed or ferocity… it’s lunacy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Bump.

Surely it's time for this bloke to go. If anyone in the workforce made as many errors as this bloke they'd be out of a job pretty quickly. He wastes so much time, effort and money of everyone involved over and over. At the very least go back to having a panel so those with some common sense can pull him up when he's having another moment.

Get rid of him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rinse and repeat with his defense of Ablett a couple of years ago for two elbows to opposition players' heads in consecutive weeks.
I love these theories. Someone post the table showing Geelong getting more cumulative weeks of suspension than other clubs.

Remember that time Selwood got a week for lightly pushing his brother after play had stopped?

I love these theories. Someone post the table showing Geelong getting more cumulative weeks of suspension than other clubs.

Remember that time Selwood got a week for lightly pushing his brother after play had stopped?
My post from 2 years ago was talking about how Gerard Whateley defends Geelong players, a la Ablett's consecutive elbows to people's head that he somehow got off scot free.

The reasoning on the Harry decision was woeful.
He had a chance to tackle and didn't.
He had a chance to smother and didn't.
He took neither option but instead raised both arms to make contact with the head.

Deserved a week for bad football brain.

He’s an idiot.

I still don’t get how he got the role. Why was he anointed better than a majority decision from a panel?
My recollection was that the AFL wanted 1 person in the role so that there wouldn't be as much inconsistency in rulings.

Which has turned out to be an absolute * up as the guy is inconsistent from week to week.

For the record I don't think Cameron should've been suspended but did the umpire contact even get a mention in the MRO statement? I couldn't see it. Happy to be proved wrong

I think it's actually hard for this guy. The matrix idea is bloody stupid and would back him into a bit of a corner. Throw in the legal s**t going on in the background and there would be pressure on him to be seen to be doing things about knocks to the head. The AFL want that image now no doubt.

Lastly, not sure a result getting overturned at the tribunal is necessarily him losing. It's a pretty standard feature of a fair and robust legal system that there be processes like this that can be deferred to to resolve them. I think that is a sign the system can work. It'd just be nice if it wasn't always so conveniently the players of big Victorian clubs that seemed to get the decision each time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back