Recommitted Zach Merrett [Re-Signed til 2027]

Remove this Banner Ad

lol

never change Carlton

You signed Williams to 800k/6 Years

You signed Saad to 650K/5 Years

but you apparently now don't want Merrett?, who is far better than both

We literally signed Merrett to the same deal you signed Williams too hahaha

While I think 6 year deals are bad... there are levels of bad. I would for sure choose Merrett x6 over Williams x 6.

I cant think of any Hawk getting 6 years. OMeara and Mitchell I think were 5 years.

Very likely that Merrett takes the mantle as captain next year too, with Heppell likely to pass it across and finish his career off being in a leadership role/style to how Boak is for Port. Six years will take Merrett into his 30s, as captain it makes sense for stability too. Don't think you'd be hard pressed to find many Essendon supporters angry at this contract length given what he means for their future.

While I think 6 year deals are bad... there are levels of bad. I would for sure choose Merrett x6 over Williams x 6.

I cant think of any Hawk getting 6 years. OMeara and Mitchell I think were 5 years.
I don't think we used to do them either. Heppell was 5 years. Hooker was 5 years.

I think Hurley might've been 6 years after 2016 (2017-2022), and Shiel was 6 years when he came across (2019-2024). But prior to that I don't think we ever did 6 year deals, it seems like clubs are going for longer and longer deals as a sort of reaction to free agency.

Other clubs go the 8, 9, 10 years sometimes though, which is a bit exorbitant imo.

lol

never change Carlton

I never ever wanted him so i don't know what the feck you are talking about !!

lol

never change Carlton

embarrassing, ain't it?

Uh well. No problem paying a guy knowing what you are going to get in a key position for ones football club.

I wish contract amounts were released and public

that way we get the full picture of what dons had to do to keep him
Can you email me you financial information.

Cheers

(not having a go at you for this comment)

People seem to forget that Zac Merrett has litterally missed 10 games of football since he debuted. That is pretty bloody durable for a midfielder playing at such a high level.

well I mean its a case by case basis.

Merrett has missed like 10 games of footy his entire career, as well as being a consistently good player. He will be 30/31 when the deal ends. Absolutely deserves 6 years.

Id sure as s**t give Merrett 6/800 well before i would Williams, as a matter of fact i wouldn't have even have given Williams 4/500.

Could he do his navicular next week? of course he could but so can anyone. If you want the best players in the game to commit than you need to secure them long term.

Not so sure about my fellow Blues saying we didn't want him, he would have been a superb pick up, its good work by Essendon to keep him.

Talk like this will see you banned from the Blues board quick smart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

*Jack Martin flicks recliner back, puts glass down on stack of $100 bills next to him*

I'm not so concerned with martin's contract, it was heavily front-loaded which gives opposition supporters the false impression that he is being paid a motza.

Bear in mind, if you want to get a player out of their current club you have to make it worth their while to move. Merrett has taken less to stay at Windy Hill than what he would have received from another club(s).

I'm not so concerned with martin's contract, it was heavily front-loaded which gives opposition supporters the false impression that he is being paid a motza.

Bear in mind, if you want to get a player out of their current club you have to make it worth their while to move. Merrett has taken less to stay at Windy Hill than what he would have received from another club(s).
Still think the money was ludircous for a player pretty unproven like Martin, even if it was front loaded. Can't sit there and say he has been worth the money invested. Laughable deal in comparison to Merrett who is (reportedly) on less money on this deal.

Still think the money was ludircous for a player pretty unproven like Martin, even if it was front loaded. Can't sit there and say he has been worth the money invested. Laughable deal in comparison to Merrett who is (reportedly) on less money on this deal.

I'm still open-minded on Martin but will be expecting to see a full & consistent season from him in 2022, if he doesn't, show him the door.

I'm still open-minded on Martin but will be expecting to see a full & consistent season from him in 2022, if he doesn't, show him the door.
Open minded on Martin
Closed minded on Merrett

Carlton have been "open-minded" on more then 3/4 of their best 22 for years. If you don't think Merrett would've slotted into your best 22, delusional thinking. Being open-minded about Martin but apparently not wanting Merrett makes zero sense to me and kind of just feels like an excuse to hide behind the list of issues amongst on your list build and your players. But hey, you guys do you.

Very likely that Merrett takes the mantle as captain next year too, with Heppell likely to pass it across and finish his career off being in a leadership role/style to how Boak is for Port. Six years will take Merrett into his 30s, as captain it makes sense for stability too. Don't think you'd be hard pressed to find many Essendon supporters angry at this contract length given what he means for their future.

And you know Heppell would be ok with it too passing the captaincy to Merrett

Open minded on Martin
Closed minded on Merrett

Open-minded doesn't mean I'm jumping up and down singing his praises. I hope he becomes a really decent player for us but I do have some concerns right now.

As for Merrett, he cost you $600K, he would have cost us $850-900K which is overs in my opinion which is why I'm 'closeminded' on him.

Yes, you can use the Saad & Williams argument against me here but I don't agree with the money they were given either and if the truth be told, I wouldn't have traded for Saad at all.

Carlton have been "open-minded" on more then 3/4 of their best 22 for years. If you don't think Merrett would've slotted into your best 22, delusional thinking. Being open-minded about Martin but apparently not wanting Merrett makes zero sense to me and kind of just feels like an excuse to hide behind the list of issues amongst on your list build and your players. But hey, you guys do you.

80% of the players in the competition would slot in our "best 22" right now so I don't see how that is relevant.

80% of the players in the competition would slot in our "best 22" right now so I don't see how that is relevant.
You make absolutely no sense haha. Suggesting that 80% of the competition's players base would slot into your best 22 yet apparently not wanting Merrett just sounds like a lot of pretending.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back