Toast Presidency and The Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Thank you 76woodenspooners

One of BigFooty’s all-time-favourite posters, Reykjavik , was all across the board level stuff. He once posted a list of the responsibilities of a Not-For-Profit board like that of Collingwood …

abcdef.....ijklmnop

NFP board responsibilities
Specific responsibilities of a not-for-profit (NFP) board include:

• Driving the strategic direction of the organisation
  • Working with the CEO to enable the organisation to obtain the resources, funds and personnel necessary to implement the organisation's strategic objectives
  • Implementing, maintaining and (as necessary) refining a system of good governance that is appropriate for the organisation
  • Reviewing reports and monitoring the performance of the organisation
  • Regularly reviewing the board's structure and composition, so that these are appropriate for the organisation
  • Appointing – and managing the performance of – a suitable CEO
  • Succession planning for the CEO
While the above points are also applicable to for-profit boards, NFP boards also face a unique range of issues, such as:

• Difficulties in defining and measuring organisational effectiveness
  • Transgression of role boundaries
  • The negative impact of the structural compositions of some NFP boards, including those arising from representative models
  • Funding dependencies and constraints

In practice, the role of the board is to supervise an organisation's business in two broad areas:

1. Overall business performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements strategies and supporting policies to enable it to fulfill the objectives set out in the organisation's constitution. The board delegates the day to day management of the organisation but remains accountable to the shareholders for the organisation's performance. The board monitors and supports management in an on-going way.
  2. Overall compliance performance - ensuring the organisation develops and implements systems to enable it to comply with its legal and policy obligations (complying with statutes such as the Corporations Act 2001, adhering to accounting standards) and ensure the organisation's assets are protected through appropriate risk management.

http://www.companydirectors.com.au/...ctor/NFP-governance/The-role-of-the-NFP-board

Link to original post …

1. recruiting Beams was an outright failure

2. Korda's job was / is more than make sure $$ are available. Board's role is to ask searching questions of managers - keep them accountable. Goes against all rules of governance to suggest that Korda had "absolutely nothing to do with management of the cap". Why do Boards get sued in the corporate world?

The finance committee is responsible for ensuring the organisation has the money to meet its budget. Its not responsible for micromanagement of individual areas of expenditure. The place you should be pointing at is the Football department for the mismanagement.

So, who (other than the football department) is responsible for the * up by the football department?

Well, lets look at origins.

If you want to look at where the rot started, some hints might be

1) Spending too much draft capital on Treloar, and locking in a long term deal on good money end 2015

2) Parachuting in Gubby out of nowhere, loss of Balme, and subsequent recruitment of Mayne and Wells end 2016 on ridiculously overpriced contracts with apparently no oversight. I will guarantee this is where the salary cap problems really started, because this money was no longer available to bank, and then move anyone elses contracts around (including Treloars) when things got tight.

3) Gubby's skeletons catch up, in comes Walsh, another from a time more familiar to Eddie, but not suited to modern football business.

4) We were already not in a position to even realistically approach recruiting Lynch by end 2018, note this is BEFORE the recruitment of Beams and the long Grundy contract.

5) Recruitment of Beams, all wrong. Driven by ego and sentiment.

6) Grundy contract.

The factors spiralled on top, but the rot began a while ago, eroding what flexibility we had. IN there were also some rather ridiculous contacts for Cox and others as well.

I'm afraid I read the causes of our woes in this list as follows

- Incompetent football department leadership and selection of people to fill roles. I dont think we have had someone who has a clue until Wright. It has run more as an old school boys club operation. Hine to list manager was a disaster, but came about partly as a result of the whole Gubby fiasco. The first port of call on that would be the CEO, but beyond it was our president pulling the strings.
- Decisions either made without any apparent governance by people hand appointed by Eddie, or and heres the kicker, made with what appears direct interference by Eddie on the basis of ego or sentiment. If there is a knock on the board, its that they should have resigned en masse rather than allow this. They appear to have been playing a long game for a while, trying to preserve Ed's legacy while restraining him as much as possible.

We have not been a professional organisation at operational level for too long, and our President has been the root cause. My read of the tea leaves has been a slow progressive unwinding of his authority and ability to get away with this as the costs of his interventions have mounted and his gaffes have multiplied by Murphy and our new CEO with the board working as fast as it felt it could given his unquestioning support amongst rank and file supporters.

Now to Browne - someone who I diagnose frankly as a stalking horse if not for Eddie, then for at least a return to Eddie style approches. And nothing, nothing he has said so far tells me he gets what the problem was, and what is needed to fix it. We finally, finally have the beginnings of a professionally run organisation emerging. Why the hell would be want to upend that after all the pain in favour of someone who isnt being honest about what the problem is, or what the solutions are?

The finance committee is responsible for ensuring the organisation has the money to meet its budget. Its not responsible for micromanagement of individual areas of expenditure. The place you should be pointing at is the Football department for the mismanagement.

So, who (other than the football department) is responsible for the fu** up by the football department?

1) Spending too much draft capital on Treloar, and locking in a long term deal on good money end 2015

2) Parachuting in Gubby out of nowhere, loss of Balme, and subsequent recruitment of Mayne and Wells end 2016 on ridiculously overpriced contracts with apparently no oversight. I will guarantee this is where the salary cap problems really started, because this money was no longer available to bank, and then move anyone elses contracts around (including Treloars) when things got tight.

3) Gubby's skeletons catch up, in comes Walsh, another from a time more familiar to Eddie, but not suited to modern football business.

4) We were already not in a position to even realistically approach recruiting Lynch by end 2018, note this is BEFORE the recruitment of Beams and the long Grundy contract.

6) Grundy contract.

The factors spiralled on top, but the rot began a while ago, eroding what flexibility we had. IN there were also some rather ridiculous contacts for Cox and others as well.

- Incompetent football department leadership and selection of people to fill roles. I dont think we have had someone who has a clue until Wright. It has run more as an old school boys club operation. Hine to list manager was a disaster, but came about partly as a result of the whole Gubby fiasco. The first port of call on that would be the CEO, but beyond it was our president pulling the strings.
- Decisions either made without any apparent governance by people hand appointed by Eddie, or and heres the kicker, made with what appears direct interference by Eddie on the basis of ego or sentiment. If there is a knock on the board, its that they should have resigned en masse rather than allow this. They appear to have been playing a long game for a while, trying to preserve Ed's legacy while restraining him as much as possible.

We have not been a professional organisation at operational level for too long, and our President has been the root cause. My read of the tea leaves has been a slow progressive unwinding of his authority and ability to get away with this as the costs of his interventions have mounted and his gaffes have multiplied by Murphy and our new CEO with the board working as fast as it felt it could given his unquestioning support amongst rank and file supporters.

Now to Browne - someone who I diagnose frankly as a stalking horse if not for Eddie, then for at least a return to Eddie style approches. And nothing, nothing he has said so far tells me he gets what the problem was, and what is needed to fix it. We finally, finally have the beginnings of a professionally run organisation emerging. Why the hell would be want to upend that after all the pain in favour of someone who isnt being honest about what the problem is, or what the solutions are?

Not sure how you can absolve the board of its responsibilities (because its not their job to micromanage) and then go on to blame the President for most of the mistakes the club has made... and say the board should have done something about it.

Failing to manage the clubs risks include failing to call out Eddie for decisions he has made without due process being followed. They are definitely responsible for the position we are in now.. or at least quite lot of them are. Thats not to say the board needs to be thrown out though. But they do need to implement better governance.

So, who (other than the football department) is responsible for the fu** up by the football department?

6) Grundy contract.

Very well said.

Despite Korda’s terrible public performances, I do like that he’s introduced some process, is allowing the people employed to do their jobs, and doesn’t seem inclined to captains calls. Now if he were to introduce term limits as recommended by Murphy’s review, that would shore up my support.

My concern with Browne, other than the fact that he hasn’t outlined what and how he intends to address our issues, he’s shown no interest in being involved while Ed was there and now he is only interested in being president. Thats a red flag for me, indicative of someone wanting to be the boss, the decision maker. We’ve been through that approach already, it would be a step backwards.

6) Grundy contract.

Magnificent summary and 100% correct, worse decision ever to move Balme sideways and bring in Allen shocking decision.

6) Grundy contract.

overseeing and asking hard questions is not micromanaging

Not sure how you can absolve the board of its responsibilities (because its not their job to micromanage) and then go on to blame the President for most of the mistakes the club has made... and say the board should have done something about it.

Failing to manage the clubs risks include failing to call out Eddie for decisions he has made without due process being followed. They are definitely responsible for the position we are in now.. or at least quite lot of them are. Thats not to say the board needs to be thrown out though. But they do need to implement better governance.

Much of the board are fairly new. Korda the only really long termer.

Magnificent summary and 100% correct, worse decision ever to move Balme sideways and bring in Allen shocking decision.
Ed involved again - more evidence he was quite confused about the difference between management and governance.

Failing to manage the clubs risks include failing to call out Eddie for decisions he has made without due process being followed. They are definitely responsible for the position we are in now.. or at least quite lot of them are. That's not to say the board needs to be thrown out though. But they do need to implement better governance.

I'm absolutely holding them responsible for failing to rein in Eddie. I'm not sure how you think I am absolving them of that, I was clear I was not. As I said, they probably should have resigned en masse as soon as he started interfering.

What I am saying is, having gone through that and now having the right things in place, why go back to someone who I frankly associate with a continuation of Eddie?

In the end, my decision is pragmatic. Tell me Browne is better and I'm in like Flynn. But everything that he has put out so far tells me the opposite. So I'd rather stick with the people who at least have first hand experience of why we got into the s**t and would be determined not to do it again.

Do you think that Graham Wrights review of the senior coaching position at Collingwood be delayed until when?
Once a recommendation is made, surely the board moves fast to approve or disapprove.
I have always been a Bucks supporter & would have been happy to see a 2 year year extension to see if the Wright/Bucks combo could set us moving up the ladder & contending.
This didn’t happen. I was sad last week (like many). At least we are ahead of the pack searching for the best candidate.
Its a new direction…which many supporters were calling for.
I don't think there was a need to review the coaching role. Not that we'd find out but I'd like to know who instigated it and why. Was it Wright or the board asking him to? And then why. To save themselves by removing further ammunition from Browne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me, Korda's achievements are two-fold and interrelated. The first is that he didn't let his longstanding support of McGuire get in the way of forcing change when it was needed, which was the removal of Ed himself. On the contrary, Korda seems to have been pivotal in forcing that change.

The upshot of this and the second major achievement is that we now have a more independent football department. This has already initiated the appointment of a new coach. But even if you don't agree with Buckley's departure, the operation of a football department without external interference is most definitely a step in the right direction.

Korda may not be the hero we all think we deserve, but he just might be the steady hand the club needs.

The alternative is looking less impressive by the day, while at the same time his mystery campaign undermines the stability of the club he suddenly hopes to serve.
Our 2 most prominent figures have gone before their time in poor circumstances in my mind. I don't agree Eddie should have finished when he did, he should have been able to continue till the end of the year. And the same for Bucks. Least that could be done for both of them given their standing.

So Korda and his board is responsible for Eddie and most likely Bucks. So I don't believe they're as independent as you say.

And I'll reserve my judgment on Browne and his ticket. All I'll say is the actions and media performances of our board members bar Anderson of late have been under-whelming to say the least and full of self-preservation.

Korda has already ‘outplayed’ Brown. In my opinion, Brown is looking a worse candidate each week that passes.
Let's disagree on that. All Korda and his VPs have done is hit the media to try and protect themselves. That's not exactly been successful.

But to sack the board because the club got creative (whilst staying legal) in a quest to win Premierships? That makes no rational sense.
What tripe.

Would have thought it'd be more creative to stay within the cap. Everyone can overspend.

And it only remained legal because we had to get rid of 2 contracted players plus our best endurance runner. Not a great business model getting rid of contracted players for next to nothing. Then lets blame the coach and have a review when we have a dip and morale plummets.

I believe that makes no rational sense.

Let's disagree on that. All Korda and his VPs have done is hit the media to try and protect themselves. That's not exactly been successful.
That’s exactly what Browne has done and looked like a fool in doing it.
Browne announced he wanted 3 of the existing board members to stay. They board has come out and said they stand together against him.
Korda has at least been consistent in his messaging that he will not interfere in G Wright’s role and responsibility.
I have little doubt that Buckley’s position would of been part of Brown’s call for change. Well, he is now gone.
And the guy calling for change and obtaining signatures for an EGM gets taken out for a schnitzel by Licuria and Murphy and is satisfied that an EGM is unnecessary.

Korda is probably smart enough to not make this contest being about himself but about the board.
So what has Brown actually done? A clumsy letter and that’s it? Still working on a board. He has not put out one bit of dialogue as to what strategy or what he can offer to put the club in a better place. He has failed to articulate why he and his team will be better for Collingwood.
I was one of those who thought Browne would be the better President. Today, I hope he doesn’t come in.

I don't think there was a need to review the coaching role. Not that we'd find out but I'd like to know who instigated it and why. Was it Wright or the board asking him to? And then why. To save themselves by removing further ammunition from Browne.

Bucks was OoC at seasons end so why wouldn’t a well run organization review his position after 10 years at the helm?

What tripe.

Would have thought it'd be more creative to stay within the cap. Everyone can overspend.

And it only remained legal because we had to get rid of 2 contracted players plus our best endurance runner. Not a great business model getting rid of contracted players for next to nothing. Then lets blame the coach and have a review when we have a dip and morale plummets.

I believe that makes no rational sense.

We did stay within the cap.

I think you’re overlooking the CV19 impact on TPP. In 2020 TPP was $13,013,257 and meant to grow to $13,273,522 in 2021. Another 2% in 2022. CV19 instead meant TPP was reduced to $11,842,063. A loss of $1,431,458. While 3% of that drop was worn by players across the board and the reduction of list sizes, the remainder had to be found somewhere. That we’d backended some significant contracts didn’t leave us too many options.

Last edited:
Korda has at least been consistent in his messaging that he will not interfere in G Wright’s role and responsibility.
I have little doubt that Buckley’s position would of been part of Brown’s call for change. Well, he is now gone.
So in your eyes Korda won't interfere with Wright's role but Buckley, and the coaching role, might have been part of Browne's agenda but Buckley is now gone.

Hmmm. Sounds like interference there...

Bucks was OoC at seasons end so why wouldn’t a well run organization review his position after 10 years at the helm?
A - because he got us to the finals the last 3 years, last year in trying circumstances and
B - this year is a rebuild after the cap misspend so not his fault there.
C - If Ooc at year's end, tell me why the review now. Looming election battle perhaps...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back