News AFL - RD 15 Crowds Update

Remove this Banner Ad

Hate to say it but you probably live near a brothel or some such that deals exclusively at night
They have secret tunnels to groupie's dungeon.

7.50pm start is ridiculous.
Bloody oath..
After the Melbourne game the train got delayed to southern cross due to some technical s**t and then I missed last train home after midnight.
It’s not as though you can drive to the footy these days either.

Bloody oath..
After the Melbourne game the train got delayed to southern cross due to some technical sh*t and then I missed last train home after midnight.
After the Dogs game, trains were replaced by buses to Geelong at the last minute.
No buses around.
And when they finally did come, one lane was open on the West Gate.
Got home at 3.30am.
Said never again will I feel obliged to go to a night game just because I pay a heap for a membership.

7.50pm start is ridiculous.

I may just be an old man, but I'm up for work at 4.30 am. I really struggle to keep my eyes open on the way home. I'm always scared I'm going to miss my stop and I'd end up in Geelong. 7.50pm starts are shithouse!

I may just be an old man, but I'm up for work at 4.30 am. I really struggle to keep my eyes open on the way home. I'm always scared I'm going to miss my stop and I'd end up in Geelong. 7.50pm starts are shithouse!
You have a valid reason for not going.
In fact any reason is a valid reason.
I usually like to have a few beers at the game so it means getting an Uber from Marshall station to Barwon Heads at the end.
I won't get home until 1.15am on Friday if I can go.

After the Dogs game, trains were replaced by buses to Geelong at the last minute.
No buses around.
And when they finally did come, one lane was open on the West Gate.
Got home at 3.30am.
Said never again will I feel obliged to go to a night game just because I pay a heap for a membership.
Same after cats game with west gate and buses too. It’s a bloody mess here now and will be for ages, never ever thought I’d see the day that I hated living in Melbourne or Victoria but I’m there I think.

Agree with everyone's sentiments of a 7.50 start,bloody joke.

Corporate boy's club decision by Dill and Shocking.

Give the game back to the people AFL.

That time slot must be put in as a reason to obtain better TV deals instead of looking at the bigger picture of getting families into games?

And why did Geelong lock up 80 percent of their venue then allowing 7k of fans to sit together like hens cooped up in an egg farm in a few blocks.

Defeats the whole purpose of why only 20 percent are only allowed in the first place and it looks ugly on TV.

Once again,boy's club corporate decisions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody oath..
After the Melbourne game the train got delayed to southern cross due to some technical sh*t and then I missed last train home after midnight.

I always drive either park in for $10 or find a car spot within a 5-10 min walk.
By Car takes me about 40/45 mins to the G

Last edited:
An inconsistent approach has left the AFL’s application for capped crowds in significant doubt, despite the cap being delivered for the A-League.

Sam Landsberger and Jon Ralph - June 22, 2021

The AFL’s application for 50 per cent capacity crowds remains in significant doubt despite Victorian Health officials delivering the A-League exactly that for Sunday’s Grand Final.
The inconsistent approach will see AAMI Park half full on Sunday when, at the same time 4km down the road, Marvel Stadium could be capped at just 20 or 30 per cent for Carlton’s match against Adelaide.

Health officials will justify the decision by moving away from percentage caps and instead enforcing a spectator cap at Victorian venues.

For example, the most likely outcome would see the MCG capped at 30,000 and AAMI Park capped at 15,000, with both of those numbers deemed safe.
However, allowing 15,000 soccer fans to attend the Melbourne City-Sydney FC clash will see AAMI Park fill to exactly 50 per cent.

Footy stakeholders have grown frustrated with Victoria’s overly cautious approach.

On Sunday the Herald Sun revealed that the AFL and Melbourne Cricket Club had submitted a joint application for 50 per cent crowds in Round 15, but instead 30 per cent was likely to be the magic number.

That remains the case, although AFL powerbrokers were on Tuesday still waiting to learn their fate as news seeped out that the A-League decider would go ahead at a half full AAMI Stadium.

Government officials are likely to settle on AFL crowds by Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

It is understood the league is not pressuring the health department to reconsider its initial bid on the back of the soccer surprise.

There are four AFL games in Melbourne this weekend – two at the MCG and two at Marvel Stadium.

The biggest loser from the softly, softly approach will be Essendon, which hosts the ladder-leading Demons on Saturday night.

That marquee match could’ve drawn more than 70,000 fans in normal circumstances, given the recent fortunes of both clubs.

But instead it is likely that only 30,000 fans will attend.

Melbourne City fans will get their wish — and are set to have a 50 per cent capacity crowd at AAMI Park. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Melbourne City fans will get their wish — and are set to have a 50 per cent capacity crowd at AAMI Park. Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

Clubs hemorrhage cash when they are forced to play in front of reduced crowds.

Geelong lost $500,000 last Friday night when just 7000 fans attended GMHBA Stadium, despite the match being staged in a regional Victoria city which had not recorded a coronavirus case since last September

The Cats would love their crowd capacity boosted to 75 per cent (27,000 fans) for next week’s clash against Essendon, however the early frontrunner is 50 per cent.

A half full GMHBA Stadium would see the Cats almost break even.

But they would still have to write out a small cheque to stage the game due to the drastic reduction in gameday revenues such as food and beverage.

Last edited:
An inconsistent approach has left the AFL’s application for capped crowds in significant doubt, despite the cap being delivered for the A-League.

The AFL’s application for 50 per cent capacity crowds remains in significant doubt despite Victorian Health officials delivering the A-League exactly that for Sunday’s Grand Final.
The inconsistent approach will see AAMI Park half full on Sunday when, at the same time 4km down the road, Marvel Stadium could be capped at just 20 or 30 per cent for Carlton’s match against Adelaide.

Health officials will justify the decision by moving away from percentage caps and instead enforcing a spectator cap at Victorian venues.

For example, the most likely outcome would see the MCG capped at 30,000 and AAMI Park capped at 15,000, with both of those numbers deemed safe.
However, allowing 15,000 soccer fans to attend the Melbourne City-Sydney FC clash will see AAMI Park fill to exactly 50 per cent.

Footy stakeholders have grown frustrated with Victoria’s overly cautious approach.

On Sunday the Herald Sun revealed that the AFL and Melbourne Cricket Club had submitted a joint application for 50 per cent crowds in Round 15, but instead 30 per cent was likely to be the magic number.

That remains the case, although AFL powerbrokers were on Tuesday still waiting to learn their fate as news seeped out that the A-League decider would go ahead at a half full AAMI Stadium.

Government officials are likely to settle on AFL crowds by Tuesday night or early Wednesday.

It is understood the league is not pressuring the health department to reconsider its initial bid on the back of the soccer surprise.

There are four AFL games in Melbourne this weekend – two at the MCG and two at Marvel Stadium.

The biggest loser from the softly, softly approach will be Essendon, which hosts the ladder-leading Demons on Saturday night.

That marquee match could’ve drawn more than 70,000 fans in normal circumstances, given the recent fortunes of both clubs.

Geelong lost $500,000 last Friday night when just 7000 fans attended GMHBA Stadium, despite the match being staged in a regional Victoria city which had not recorded a coronavirus case since last September

The Cats would love their crowd capacity boosted to 75 per cent (27,000 fans) for next week’s clash against Essendon, however the early frontrunner is 50 per cent.

But they would still have to write out a small cheque to stage the game due to the drastic reduction in gameday revenues such as food and beverage.

Health Officials have lost the plot. Was happy to back them last year but it’s just way too conservative atm.

I wrote the other day that all major events here in Melbourne should send a message to the vic government and move their events elsewhere and i'm talking Oz Open, F1 Grand Prix, all AFL finals, Boxing Day Test with the threat " we can't trust you "

I mean everything, move it all out of Victoria until this paranoid government snaps out of it.

I always drive either park in for $10 or find a car spot within a 5-10 min walk.
By Car takes me about 40/45 mins to the G
I tried driving to the swans game, I got to the bridge at rod laver 45 min before bounce and it was quarter time by the time I got to Punt rd gates only to find they’d closed it.
Watched last 5 min of second quarter at the cricketers and then drove home.

Last edited:
I tried driving to the swans game, I hit yo the bridge at rod laver 45 min before bounce and it was quarter time by the time I got to Punt rd gates only to find they’d closed it.
Watched last 5 min of second quarter at the cricketers and then drove home.
Swans was a bloody day game, were you working in the morning . I’d give my left nut for day fixtures , Friday Night games give me the shits ,

F'kn circus!! Campaigner of a government!! Lost the plot totally.

Last weeks Geelong v Bulldogs game was capped a 7000 for Covid reasons. Then WTF cram them into half a dozen bays!!?? Surely if the numbers are limited you need to spread out around the whole stadium. Got me f'kd!

You have a valid reason for not going.
In fact any reason is a valid reason.
I usually like to have a few beers at the game so it means getting an Uber from Marshall station to Barwon Heads at the end.
I won't get home until 1.15am on Friday if I can go.
That's crazy!! Home with the heater, beers and a pizza sounds good to me!

Swans was a bloody day game, were you working in the morning . I’d give my left nut for day fixtures , Friday Night games give me the shits ,
Had an appointment to go to so had no other option but to drive.
Couldn’t believe how s**t it was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back