Are you obliged to follow the same AFLW team as your AFL team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Obviously you're not obliged to do anything really but I'd generally say yes unless a) your club doesn't have an AFLW team or b) your club was an AFLW expansion side and you supported a different team beforehand and want to stick with them/support both.

What percentage of people support one club in the AFL and a different club in the AFLW? Are there Hawks/Bombers/Swans/Port fans who love women's footy that much they couldn't wait?

I don't care about AFLW and the fact there is a team called West Coast isn't going to bully me into caring, but I can't picture anyone going 'You know what I support the Crows, but I think I'll go for the Lions in the women's league'. That's just weird.

What percentage of people support one club in the AFL and a different club in the AFLW? Are there Hawks/Bombers/Swans/Port fans who love women's footy that much they couldn't wait?

I don't care about AFLW and the fact there is a team called West Coast isn't going to bully me into caring, but I can't picture anyone going 'You know what I support the Crows, but I think I'll go for the Lions in the women's league'. That's just weird.
Agreed, AFLW is too low rent for me, but it would be strange to suddenly start supporting the Lions or Crows in AFLW and Eagles in the real thing.

It's something that has put me off a bit from AFLW.

Agreed, AFLW is too low rent for me, but it would be strange to suddenly start supporting the Lions or Crows in AFLW and Eagles in the real thing.

The whole idea of setting it up like this is a marketing tool, kind of like GC and GWS in the AFL, to grow the game at lower levels.

Attaching AFL clubs to it is branding.

If you look at the growth in female Aussie Rules at local and junior level, it’s been an absolutely phenomenal success. It’s probably the most successful thing the AFL have done in recent times. Grassroots clubs all over the country have doubled in size.

There is no right or wrong way to go about starting up a women's league where there is an existing male equivalent. It's common for community level sports clubs to duplicate change rooms but that's about it.

WBBL is the same teams as the BBL, ditto W-League (minus a couple of teams + Canberra), whereas the WNBA and WNBL are totally different. Field hockey has gone from separate teams to common teams for the new Hockey One comp.

If you are setting up a women's footy comp it makes sense to leverage from the AFL branding power and existing infrastructure.

Scotland - perhaps fake news, but I heard a few Eagles members were surprised early this year when their usual membership fee jumped up by $60?
Upon further inquiry they were told by the club that this was a discounted 'supplementary fee' for their 'associated AFLW Eagles' membership. When they protested that they didn't nominate or want this, they were informed they needed to 'disable the option' on the related website form!
Must say, that is a pretty sneaky/deceptive way of 'selling' AFLW memberships, if true...?

Last edited:

It's something that has put me off a bit from AFLW. Instead of letting it evolve as its own league, the alignment with existing clubs feels like some sort of pantomime of the big league. I watched a few games and heard commentators talking about famous jumper numbers from AFL and history of this and that, but to me the woman's league is a new product and they need to make their own way. By aligning it too closely to AFL it just feels like some kind of weird second string version.

Interestingly, in Scottish soccer, Glasgow City, a woman's only club, has been able to fend off challenges from the women's teams of Celtic and Rangers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably wouldn't be such a big deal to flip-flop from low-rent franchises like the Suns to the Eagles, for example.

But it seems that supporters of real clubs with rich history are more loyal and really enjoy getting to see their spiritual homes revived by women's football.

So do netball fans jump ship from their team to Collingwood or GWS?

If your club released a brand of breakfast cereal, do you start eating it everyday just 'cause you support the club?

I would have thought that AFLW would finally be where Australian footy fans grew up and ditched this outdated 'club' mentality. The players have. Administrators have. The AFL have! It's just the gullible fans that haven't caught up.

Granted I don't support a club these days, but I thought that it would be easy to barrack for a player or team, or just enjoy the sport - rather than a club in the AFLW.

Last edited:
It's something that has put me off a bit from AFLW. Instead of letting it evolve as its own league, the alignment with existing clubs feels like some sort of pantomime of the big league.
You are miles and miles off what this league has actually done for all footy clubs across the country.

If you have nothing to add that is positive, then I suggest you stay out of this thread and take your views to the other several forms of social media that heap on AFLW. Its not happening here.

this is not even a question, it is unwritten law
not a real big fan of AFLW yet, unless Carlton is playing, then will tune in without question as my club is playing and as above you support the club
feel same sense of satisfacton beating those tattoed feral from collingwood, regardles of AFLM or AFLW

I think it’s an unwritten rule you support your club and don’t jump onto another for AFLW. I didn’t support any team when the Suns weren’t in the league, I waited for my team to get a license

I would rather watch McDonalds commercials, and barrack for Ronald.
Yeah I like McDonald's commercials too. Especially this one:

MaccasAFLW.jpg

No sign of any clown named Ronald though, must be a thing of the past.

Not passionate, but enjoy watching. So I like seeing Richmond win, but I supported Collingwood AFLW this year. Supported North in their first year. And the years before it was Brisbane. Only reason is who I think plays the more entertaining footy.

Big question is who supporters go for in the reserves. What do diehard Collingwood fans support in the VFL if they also supported Preston when it was VFA.

Do Norwood fans support Adelaide in the SANFL over the Red Legs?

How about West Coast fans? Eagles or Royals in WAFL?

so if it’s a different competition - then there should be no shame to barrack for another team then the one that plays in the AFL.

In fact it might be the only chance for most St.Kilda fans to know the joy of winning a Premiership ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back