Opinion Dockers sailing under the radar

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo bottled an unbelievable soft first 6 weeks and first half of the fixture. They will need to perform out of their skins to go 50:50 from here and I suspect finish in the 10-13 range.

My preseason ladder had Freo in 8th so for me they are performing slightly below where they should be with what i think is a reasonable list - albeit that is at least partly due to injuries - but probably around where most people predicted they would be.

To be honest, it’s hard to take them seriously as a finals team when they haven’t put in a good showing in a Derby for some time.

It was an interesting fixture when it came out. But yeah I agree, That 1st 3rd of that draw was the best part about it. Did ok in it. Disappointed in round 1. But looking back now, Demons look solid so no shame in losing to them.

That middle 7-8 or so games was ok. I didnt expect freo to win vs the crows in Adelaide and Collingwood in Docklands. I did expect hme wins vs Suns, North and Hawks.

but that last 6-7 games of the season is Brutal: Hawks away in tassie, swans in the scg and Saints in Docklands. Home games vs Cats, tigers , brisbane (originally was supposed to be in the Gabba but the fixtures was traded, hence we got brisbane at the gabba mid season) and derby.

I disagree about the derby comment. Yes west coast have won the last 11 in a row but there has been a couple of 8 point losses in the last 3-4 years.

Matt taberner has kicked 27 goals and 15 behinds in 2021
How long did it take Tabs to get a game? Does Tabs chase and tackle? Does Tabs crash packs? Does Tabs lead straight at the ball carrier? Does Tabs dob them from 50mtrs?
Treacy ticks all those boxes at 19 or however old he is. I didn't say he's already better, I said he's already shows more.

Also where did Mundys form come from? in aa contention

He's just doing what he's done for the last 12 years, but there are three differences to previous years:

1) He's now the second or third oldest player in the league so the media are buying into the romance of it (Robbo gave him his weekend hero twice in the first five weeks on 360 for example).
2) Fyfe and Walters are having really down seasons (compared to usual) so he's getting more of the coaches votes.
3) Our younger midfielders (Darcy, Brayshaw and Serong especially) are more experienced and getting better so it means he's getting the ball a bit more on the outside than when he had to always be in the guts.

The reason people are now saying he could go around another year is because his body is still standing up (he's played every game) and also because it's hard to slow down when you were never especially quick in the first place. The epitome of the first couple of metres being in the head type of player (often referred to in the media as the Scott Pendlebury phenomena).

I suspect he will make the AA squad, but if I take my purple tints off, I don't think he's quite in the 22. But, coming back slightly on topic though, that's awesome for Freo. We're out of the eight on percentage after R15, and not one of our players is close to a lock in the AA. After Mundy there isn't another player even close to the squad (Luke Ryan probably next but he's missed too many games and Sean Darcy showing he will be an AA in the next couple of years). It really speaks to our future that with zero stars and one of the youngest teams on the park that we are where we are.

In 2024, I wouldn't be surprised if the Top 4/5 were (in no order) Freo, Bombers, Swans, Demons and Lions.

Lots to like as a Freo fan.

How long did it take Tabs to get a game? Does Tabs chase and tackle? Does Tabs crash packs? Does Tabs lead straight at the ball carrier? Does Tabs dob them from 50mtrs?
Treacy ticks all those boxes at 19 or however old he is. I didn't say he's already better, I said he's already shows more.
Have you been watching dockers games in the last 10 years?

Matt Taberner was a rookie pick in 2013.

His debut year was in 2013 and he played 2 games in his debut year.

He then kicked 7 goals from 9 games in 2014. He then kicked 14 goals and 7 behinds from 15 games in 2015. He played most of his games in the 1st half of the 2015 season when freo were 9-0. He was out CHF and Pavlich was FF.

Tabs then kicks 18 goals and 6 behinds from 17 games in 2016.

In 2017 he kicks 11 goals and 6 Behinds from 8 games. Ross Lyon sends him to the WAFL to improve his skills. Taberner plays the 2nd half the season in the WAFL. He leads Peels thunders team in the Goal kicking with 41 goals. He kicks 2 goals in the WAFL grand final as Peel beat Subiaco 11.6.72 to 7.14.56.

In 2018 he Kicks 10 goals and 7 behinds from 9 games. Gets a season ending injury in the 2nd half of the season.

in 2019, He kicks 13 goals and 10 behinds from 9 games. Again, gets a season ending injury in the 2nd half of the season.

In 2020, he kicks 29 goals and 13 behinds from 16 games.

Does Tabs chase and tackle? Yes he does.

Does Tabs Crash into packs? Yes he does. But sometimes he doesnt need to because he is a good marker. If you actually watch his games?

Does Tabs dob them in from 50 metres? Possibly. Again he kicked 29 goals and 13 behinds last season and 27 goals and 15 behinds from 11 games this year and he has been accurate from 40 metres out from 30-40 degree angles.

I am seriously thinking if you are an acutal freo fan or a troll account.

I mean I live in Adelaide and I actually have watched Taberner and Josh Traecy play.

He's just doing what he's done for the last 12 years, but there are three differences to previous years:

1) He's now the second or third oldest player in the league so the media are buying into the romance of it (Robbo gave him his weekend hero twice in the first five weeks on 360 for example).
2) Fyfe and Walters are having really down seasons (compared to usual) so he's getting more of the coaches votes.
3) Our younger midfielders (Darcy, Brayshaw and Serong especially) are more experienced and getting better so it means he's getting the ball a bit more on the outside than when he had to always be in the guts.

The reason people are now saying he could go around another year is because his body is still standing up (he's played every game) and also because it's hard to slow down when you were never especially quick in the first place. The epitome of the first couple of metres being in the head type of player (often referred to in the media as the Scott Pendlebury phenomena).

I suspect he will make the AA squad, but if I take my purple tints off, I don't think he's quite in the 22. But, coming back slightly on topic though, that's awesome for Freo. We're out of the eight on percentage after R15, and not one of our players is close to a lock in the AA. After Mundy there isn't another player even close to the squad (Luke Ryan probably next but he's missed too many games and Sean Darcy showing he will be an AA in the next couple of years). It really speaks to our future that with zero stars and one of the youngest teams on the park that we are where we are.

In 2024, I wouldn't be surprised if the Top 4/5 were (in no order) Freo, Bombers, Swans, Demons and Lions.

I doubt Darcy will make the AA team until Gawn/Grundy/NicNat are all past it. He's a potentially elite player but those 3 are exceptional.

Love Mundy though, the midfield group you guys have put together around Darcy is very enviable. Too bad Cerra is leaving end of season ;)

Have you been watching dockers games in the last 10 years?

Matt Taberner was a rookie pick in 2013.

His debut year was in 2013 and he played 2 games in his debut year.

He then kicked 7 goals from 9 games in 2014. He then kicked 14 goals and 7 behinds from 15 games in 2015. He played most of his games in the 1st half of the 2015 season when freo were 9-0. He was out CHF and Pavlich was FF.

Tabs then kicks 18 goals and 6 behinds from 17 games in 2016.

In 2017 he kicks 11 goals and 6 Behinds from 8 games. Ross Lyon sends him to the WAFL to improve his skills. Taberner plays the 2nd half the season in the WAFL. He leads Peels thunders team in the Goal kicking with 41 goals. He kicks 2 goals in the WAFL grand final as Peel beat Subiaco 11.6.72 to 7.14.56.

In 2018 he Kicks 10 goals and 7 behinds from 9 games. Gets a season ending injury in the 2nd half of the season.

in 2019, He kicks 13 goals and 10 behinds from 9 games. Again, gets a season ending injury in the 2nd half of the season.

In 2020, he kicks 29 goals and 13 behinds from 16 games.

Does Tabs chase and tackle? Yes he does.

Does Tabs Crash into packs? Yes he does. But sometimes he doesnt need to because he is a good marker. If you actually watch his games?

Does Tabs dob them in from 50 metres? Possibly. Again he kicked 29 goals and 13 behinds last season and 27 goals and 15 behinds from 11 games this year and he has been accurate from 40 metres out from 30-40 degree angles.

I am seriously thinking if you are an acutal freo fan or a troll account.

I mean I live in Adelaide and I actually have watched Taberner and Josh Traecy play.
See reply in other thread where you dragged me i front of the class. Cheers mate :thumbsu:

I doubt Darcy will make the AA team until Gawn/Grundy/NicNat are all past it. He's a potentially elite player but those 3 are exceptional.

Love Mundy though, the midfield group you guys have put together around Darcy is very enviable. Too bad Cerra is leaving end of season ;)

Darcy will be the premier ruck in the competition by 2023. Max Gawn will be refusing to get out from under the doona to play against him

Don’t suppose anyone knows what insufferable know it all David King had to say about Freo and ‘the karma bus’ on SEN this morning? Apparently it’s the reason Carlton will ‘whack em between the eyes this week’.
What did they do? Even playing in Melbourne their form is much stronger than ours and they're getting Fyfe back. If we manage to pull off a miracle upset with the win, it'll be by under 10 points.

What did they do? Even playing in Melbourne their form is much stronger than ours and they're getting Fyfe back. If we manage to pull off a miracle upset with the win, it'll be by under 10 points.
I only saw it in tweet form which is why I’m curious to get some context. I assume it’s because we wanted to avoid Marvel and the G and maybe this has made scheduling the other games more difficult.
I think it will be close. Longmuir in the presser yesterday definitely looks to be framing this as a season defining game so the boys should look a bit more alive out there than in round 3. We will have a 50% stronger team out there this week too but Carlton are our bogey side of late (apart from the dirty birds of course).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Underselling Tabs..whenever he gets a solid bank of games without injury he is the league’s best contested mark, in the Coleman race and banging on the AA door as a CHF/FF.
Agree on Treacy…he is getting better with each game and looks a gem of a late pick.

Don’t suppose anyone knows what insufferable know it all David King had to say about Freo and ‘the karma bus’ on SEN this morning? Apparently it’s the reason Carlton will ‘whack em between the eyes this week’.

Apparently he doesn't understand why a team would complain about the venue or state a game is played in.

Wondering if Kingy was as strong about choice of state and venue being important when Hardwick was complaining about driving across the road to Marvel or when the Vic media was writing about the #sobrave Vic teams heading to QLD last year?

He’s also kicking goals. With 11 on the board to date and 19 being his best in 2018, there’s every chance he gets close or surpasses it.

Spotlight is the number 1 enemy. They have been plugging away with injecting some criminally under-rated youth in the team and finally have a defender over 184CM who isn't injured. Now shining the light back on Alex is gonna break his leg again. Logue start butchering it and Walker/Serrong/Brayshaw are all going to hit a wall. While Aish/Acres are going to go back to not producing.

They also running into some danger teams. 1-2 upsets and keep on winning all the winnable games they might make finals

Spotlight is the number 1 enemy. They have been plugging away with injecting some criminally under-rated youth in the team and finally have a defender over 184CM who isn't injured. Now shining the light back on Alex is gonna break his leg again. Logue start butchering it and Walker/Serrong/Brayshaw are all going to hit a wall. While Aish/Acres are going to go back to not producing.

They also running into some danger teams. 1-2 upsets and keep on winning all the winnable games they might make finals
If you could all turn around and look the other way that would be great.

He reminds me of Pav a bit. Totally uninspiring and probably overrated/living off of good seasons that happened years ago.
I reckon he's taking a backseat to prolong his career/blood the new midfield. He'll be around for years and if gets a flag will steamroll (like his play style) up the All Time ranks. Having a bad year in front of goal though. His 2011-2015 was some of the greatest footy seen IMO and also bobbed up for a 2019 throwback.

I reckon he's taking a backseat to prolong his career/blood the new midfield. He'll be around for years and if gets a flag will steamroll (like his play style) up the All Time ranks. Having a bad year in front of goal though. His 2011-2015 was some of the greatest footy seen IMO and also bobbed up for a 2019 throwback.

Fyfey has taken on whatever role has been asked of him in the last few years and there hasn't been a bad word or bit of bad body language. That's what being a strong leader is about.

It's been said in the media before but watching someone like Cripps trying to 'superman' his team over the line versus Fyfe taking a step back at times and supporting our young mids development has been interesting to watch.

Longmuir just needs to tweak the gameplan a little in the off-season.

Just don’t ask me how so…

No, No. You've got it all wrong, no tweaking required. We just need to tinker.

I'll tell you how: just play like the good teams.

It was noteworthy enough for you to respond! Shaun would be disgusted by your response to a fitting tribute to his cousin!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back