Autopsy Roast & Toast R16 vs Gold Coast & Changes for R17 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this is an odd feeling.

Its been a while since i havent been able to look at the fixture and pencil in atleast a few wins in a block of 6 games but were here now.
this past 3 games have just been bizarre, lets not forget our last game before these 2 we were 3 goals up with 8 minutes to go against
the weagles in WA, since then weve probably been the worst performing team in the competition. I personally cannot explain the sudden
and dramatic drop off, Yes players are injured, but players have been injured all year and we still were managing to beat the bottom 10
teams, now were getting belted by the saints and comprehensively outplayed all game by the suns in melbourne, Make no mistake, all this talk about the umpires costing us the game are irrelevant, the only reason we were in any position to steal this game (and yes it would have been a steal) was because of gold coast poor conversion and tom lynch.

So where are we now, after sifting through the rubble, barring fremantle, essendon, GWS and carlton all deciding
to suddenly start playing worse than we currently are and dropping games to bottom 4 teams (this would result in us probably just getting belted week 1 of finals) or we turn around our form so dramatically that we come out and beat GWS and either brisbane or geelong (or all 3) something that would resemble lazarus himself returning from the dead, the season is pretty much dead and buried.

We will lose some players to retirements this year, some players will leave for opprotunity or money. Barring Bolton going to WA i dont believe we will lose anyone that i would define as essential to a bounce back flag tilt, So we are in a reasonably good position, we play our draft hand correctly, pick up an easier draw due to our sh*t position on the ladder this year and we could bounce straight back into the top 4, Play it wrong and we could be in the straight up rebuild.

Hopefully the club recognises what went wrong this year and looks to fix it, bring in some new assistants for dimma, target Free agents who will have immediate impact, trade for a ready made inside mid so we stop getting smashed in the centre, and draft the best 2-3 kids to prevent a drop off once the next batch of premiership players call time.

Really, while im dissapointed the season ends like a wet fart (and it never really got started) i have to remember that the reason im dissapointed, is because of how fuggin excelent weve been over the last 4 years, we were the bench mark for the entire competition for 4 years, and no one can take that away from the playing group or us supporters.
Excellent post.

Mate, your posting has been abysmal. Dimma can't coach, kids are no good. Seriously, we have won 3 out of the last 4 flags, the kids you are bagging were good enough to win the last vfl flag in 2019. This was always coming at some stage. The one coaching consistent has been Hardwick since he took over a club at rock bottom.
I hear the bombers are on the way up and Carracella and Truck are over there. Maybe that's more your cup of tea?
LOl I may have gone a bit overboard after another loss, but I stand by my statement, RCD has shown signs but I have genuine concearns about him and some of the others they have all been in the system for a number of years and it doesn't fill me with any confidence, I hope they prove me wrong. Also Dimma may be a great motivator and deserves some credit it's not because of him, it's a collective effort from key people who have helped him to achieve success. I was too harsh on him granted and I was emotional ****ed after last night but I don't attribute the 3 Premierships solely on Dimma. He is part of the system not the end all and be all. But I have to say he seems lost this year.

At least someone is saying something. He's called a sook by everyone for this clip but 10 free kicks to 1 in the final quarter. Any other team and this would be commented on.

We do play a style that lends itself to more free kicks against but 7-8 of those last quarter frees were soft ticky tack calls that should be let go. It gave GC momentum at crucial times. Dimma and the club should be doing something about it.

Maybe we win without the ridiculous calls, maybe we don't. We still have a lot of issues but doesn't make the biased umpiring any less frustrating.
And if GC kicked 8 goals 2 instead of 2 goals 8 game over. I disagree with 7 - 8 soft free kicks in last qtr ,. After watching the last qtr agaimn Id say maybe 3 would have been soft . GC were first 2 ball . From your review 7 - 8 soft? They threw the ball 2 times in the last qtr so I Would not say they are soft Id say free kicki every day of the week.

I think we did lose one of our big fitness guys to Sydney but I’m pretty sure Emma Murray is still working with us

But re injury’s as well I think that’s also just one of the reality’s of having an ageing list of core players
Their body’s are just more susceptible to those soft issue type injury’s Nank has been prone to them for a number of years

Impact injury’s like what happened to Balta and Lynch earlier in the season are more just bad luck more than anything else just copping a bad knock at the wrong time and nothing can be done to stop that
Nank had syndesmosis last year and PCL now, not soft tissue injuries.

Sydney game for me was the clincher. I know it was early in the season and in previous years we’d played stinkers and rebounded well, however they absolutely cut us to pieces and we couldn’t adjust at all. Literally destroyed in ever facet and to be honest we have barely recovered since then, albeit in a few glimpses of brilliance

i’m not annoyed or disappointed or angry about the year. I am absolutely content. After so many years of crap we became the greatest club of the AFL era. Thanks to the greats of our club and enjoy the twilight of your careers. Looking forward to watching them give it a huge crack next season.

I dont think we'll make the 8, but I dont think its as dire as some are making out.

for the entire season we have been missing 25% of our best 22 injured at any given point, and its VERY clear, another 25% of our team are playing injured.
That's a massive dint in competitiveness.

On top of that, I think mental fatigue has set in a little: we asked a lot of the players last year, and they stepped up and delivered against all odds; I think its just been too much time away from the MCG, too much time away from family and routine, too much change in training routines, and the loss of assistant coaches etc that have upset our internal systems and habits. Every team has faced this, but we won the premiership under that duress; and 2021 is taking payment. My feeling (based on nothing but opinion) is that we'll miss this year, be a finalist next year and premiers in 2023-24. See, its just like 1967-74... only we werent meant to win in 2020 (=1970). We got one fate didnt expect us to.

Nank had syndesmosis last year and PCL now, not soft tissue injuries.
He’s also had that groin issue that kept him out for large chunks in previous years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're not done yet. Although it looks like it.

I reckon the Stand rule and interchange caps have screwed our winning game plan and we just don't know how to react, or even worse we've tried to change everything mid-season and it's just confused and demoralised everyone.

reckon we are cooked 80%. 10% we'll recover but won't go past week 2 of finals, and 10% we'll get it right and come home like a steam train.

So I'm fairly much expecting a top 10 pick, perhaps pick 8 this year. But I wouldn't be shocked if we turn up and suddenly tear the comp a new one. Glass 80% empty ;)

He’s also had that groin issue that kept him out for large chunks in previous years
Yea 2019, but even that wasn’t a standard soft tissue, he slipped and was in an extremely awkward and unstable position when he tried to push off. Issues post that were because the initial surgery attached the tendon in the wrong spot (which they’ve gone back and fixed).

The umpiring was not the issue tonight. The umpire all night was paying any holds - was consistent all night, you hold - your gonna give away a free kick. In the last quarter, we went back to holding players all the time, which has been our style. We gave away most of those free's, unfortunately. Just not discipline enough
No...just no...never been our style of play...all the time!

One of our players (grimes I think), swung that campaigner to the ground

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah, it was Grimes. Such a stupid free kick that he gave away, it was super disappointing, certainly there.

Not sure what's going on down there with the development of young kids but...

- RCD skinny as a rake. Meant to be an inside mid. Not big enough after 3 years in the system. Why?

- Naish wafer thin hasn't changed since draft day. Been in the system 4 years and still not big enough. Why?

- Ross is not close physically to the strong, imposing inside mid that came to Richmond 3 years ago. Intentionally made to lose weight and is now a HBFer. Why?

- Dow 2nd year in the system and I don't see any physical development. Why?

All these youngsters are pushed aside and don't have enough physical impact in the contest offensively or defensively.
Has there been a cut to our food budget, I did hear that Monte Carlos were replaced by a no name alternative.

I suspect that Nank the Tank is more the heart and soul of the team than we realised. Will be interesting to see how much, if at all, the team improves with Nank back on the ground with a big bag of angry pills.
There is enormous drop off from Nank to the spuds we have to fill the void. Think back to last years PF and all the defensive marks he took. Put Chol/CCJ in the side and they'd have steam rolled us late.

If there’s any consolation at least Geelong won’t get the satisfaction of beating us in a FINAL, feels a bit like when Borg retired as soon as McEnroe beat him
and we also thumped Essendon after they got their hopes up ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back