Player Watch Trey Ruscoe (Delisted 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

^ Thanks I will fire up Kayo and have a look. I’m excited by the prospect of Ruscoe having found a pulse off half-back.
Decent athlete with good skills. I never understood the angst over him not being able to get a kick in a forward line where not even Darcy Moore could get a kick.

One tiny thing that really impressed me from Sunday is the moment (about 9 minutes to go in the 3rd) where Aarts is charging down the wing with support and Ruscoe plays it brilliantly by not overcommitting and instead keeps stepping forward towards him and then backing off. It created confusion for Aarts who was looking for the easy handball overlap and forced him into taking a bounce. As soon as he started the bounce, Ruscoe goes straight at him, which causes Aarts to get flustered and he sprays the handball straight to us. We then take it forward and it ends with Thomas kicking the goal that kept us in the game.

I was sitting the other side of the ground and I thought it looked deliberate by Ruscoe but wasn't sure. Having watched the replay last night I'm definite that it was. Like I said, it was just a tiny moment but it ended up being pivotal, and good evidence that Ruscoe has a good footy brain.

Well spotted...this moment and two in the last. One where he just bullies Tom Lynch off the ball in the center and gets a pearler of a handball away and the another on our half back line where he gets clean possession in a minor melee and kicks a ripper of a pass straight up the middle under pressure...

Never to be thrown forward again!

I thought he was really solid in the VFL the week before. Continued that into Sunday, which was really nice to see.

Particularly as they played alongside each other. It looked to me like Ruscoe replaced Murphy in defence and Murphy replaced Kelly.

Murphy was lining up on a wing in the first half then looked to float forward in the 2nd half after Kelly went off, wasn’t starting in the back 6-7 that I saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murphy was lining up on a wing in the first half then looked to float forward in the 2nd half after Kelly went off, wasn’t starting in the back 6-7 that I saw.

Thanks for the correction. Was Ruscoe playing as a defender? Or as a defensive wingman?

Thanks for the correction. Was Ruscoe playing as a defender? Or as a defensive wingman?
Looked like a 3-way shuffle with Noble moving up to a wing and Ruscoe in defence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But with personality. :p

I think Trey has a while to go before being favourably compared with Langdon. We can only hope.
Trey plays with more flair and is a better kick so I think it’s only a matter of time until we forget about Langdon.

Trey plays with more flair and is a better kick so I think it’s only a matter of time until we forget about Langdon.

LOL. Off 1 game where he was injected as the Medical sub. Lets see how he develops before we get too carried away. Langdon played 39 games in his first 2 years at the club, managed a rising star nomination, and was U22 AA both years. Ruscoe has big shoes to fill. It'll only take 1 bad kick and it'll become widely accepted on these boards that he can't kick, 1 missed tackle before he's poor defensively, get caught holding the footy and he's slow.

LOL. Off 1 game where he was injected as the Medical sub. Lets see how he develops before we get too carried away. Langdon played 39 games in his first 2 years at the club, managed a rising star nomination, and was U22 AA both years. Ruscoe has big shoes to fill. It'll only take 1 bad kick and it'll become widely accepted on these boards that he can't kick, 1 missed tackle before he's poor defensively, get caught holding the footy and he's slow.

I’m surprised Trey is even in the same conversation as Langdon. After one goodish game. It’s the old anti-Tommy sentiment again. Would love to still have him down back.

Trey has a long way to go. I hope he gets there.

I’m surprised Trey is even in the same conversation as Langdon. After one goodish game. It’s the old anti-Tommy sentiment again. Would love to still have him down back.

Trey has a long way to go. I hope he gets there.

Yep, I see that potential in him (posted similar prior to his game on the weekend) but still a long way to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back