Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

I know this is a bit of a needle in a haystack, but I would appreciate any help on trying to pinpoint the location on Middle Beach Road where Peter Stogneff was found. Even what side of the road would be helpful. Was it near any identifying marker?

I know this is a bit of a needle in a haystack, but I would appreciate any help on trying to pinpoint the location on Middle Beach Road where Peter Stogneff was found. Even what side of the road would be helpful. Was it near any identifying marker?

The ebook says that "It is possible that whoever dumped Peter's remains had envisaged plenty of water at Middle Beach, but soon realised it was a tidal beach and therefore unsuitable. They likely turned the car around and dumped the body along the first turn off track on the way back. "

So by that logic - the last track before the road gets to the tidal beach.

Beyind that you would need to check old newspaper reports from 23 June 1982 onwards, which may provide a map or a better description. You could also look at some of the old media photos which may show identifying features in the landscape - there are pictures around of the scene where his body was found. This one below appears to suggest the the ocean is in the background (top of the pic), with the farmers field between the ocean and the track.

1628222186494.jpeg

Last edited:
The ebook says that "It is possible that whoever dumped Peter's remains had envisaged plenty of water at Middle Beach, but soon realised it was a tidal beach and therefore unsuitable. They likely turned the car around and dumped the body along the first turn off track on the way back. "

Beyind that you would need to check old newspaper reports from 23 June 1982 onwards, which may provide a map or a better description. You could also look at some of the old media photos which may show identifying features in the landscape - there are pictures around of the scene where his body was found. This one below appears to suggest the the ocean is in the background (top of the pic), with the farmers field between the ocean and the track.

View attachment 1197509
You think that is the sea in the background? Perhaps the location is closer to the beach. Most interesting.

View attachment 1197509

jeez that pictures sad isnt it - also an oddity that he was buried, considering the rest of the boys were just left

That piece of footage of the police cars and 4wd is misleading i believe, the contour of the land is nothing like the flat baron ground in the Middle Beach area.
Id say it was a clip from another disposal site, somewhere in the Adelaide hills and probably where either Mark Langley or Richard Kelvin we're found.
The Commodore is a VH model which didn't go into production until October 81, PS discovered in June 82 but footage not consistent with Middle Beach surrounds, that leaves ML or RK, both of which were found in the hills after october 81.
Im leaning towards it being from the RK scene as it looks more arid and northern than the Summertown area.

Looking at the picture and a few things stick out, firstly, you wouldn't be able to see the water from that elevation as the whole coastline is lined with hundreds of meters of Mangrove trees.
I believe the picture is in the opposite direction of the coast and would suggest the part you think could have been ocean is actually the northern reaches of the Adelaide/Mt lofty ranges.
Secondly, the distance from the road to the fence line, it is a good 5 meters, there appears to be 4 isolated areas of tree's in the back ground and the paddock behind has been cropped.
Lastly the fence looks to be a combination of timber posts and star or flat droppers, common enough on its own.

Looking at a google Earth map of the Middle Beach area from 2008 and working back towards the highway from the beach its obvious that the land on the right of Middle beach Rd before the 3 way intersection is still salt scrub and hasn't been cultivated so it couldn't be along this stretch, the opposite side of the rd has some cultivated land but apart from a thick scrub area around the dwelling or sheds it doesn't have the isolated trees.
Following MBR past the 3 way intersection and the road is scrub lined which isn't consistent with the picture, there are a few spots on the southern side that have no scrub but there is also a lack of isolated trees in the back ground, any further east and you're back at the highway which would be risky if dumping a body.

Looking at what Squawk said...
The first side road when heading away from the beach is Smith rd.
Smith rd is devoid of roadside scrub, tick.
It has a wide verge between the road and fence line on the eastern side, tick.
If you drop down in to street mode you see that the first field past the first dwelling on the eastern side has an old fence that comprises timber posts and droppers, tick.
You will also see a few clumps or isolated trees in the paddocks in the background, tick.
Lastly, looking across the wide verge, beyond the timber/dropper fence, over the cultivated paddock, past the clumps of trees, on a clear day, you will see the faint outline of the rolling hills that frame the eastern side of the Adelaide plains.

Obviously a lot has changed over the years but if i had to take a guess factoring in the above, id say that photo taken where PS's body was discovered is of the eastern side of Smith rd somewhere in the vicinity of the Davis Rd T junction.

Last edited:
Looking at the picture and a few things stick out, firstly, you wouldn't be able to see the water from that elevation as the whole coastline is lined with hundreds of meters of Mangrove trees.
I believe the picture is in the opposite direction of the coast and would suggest the part you think could have been ocean is actually the northern reaches of the Adelaide/Mt lofty ranges.
Secondly, the distance from the road to the fence line, it is a good 5 meters, there appears to be 4 isolated areas of tree's in the back ground and the paddock behind has been cropped.
Lastly the fence looks to be a combination of timber posts and star or flat droppers, common enough on its own.

Looking at a google Earth map of the Middle Beach area from 2008 and working back towards the highway from the beach its obvious that the land on the right of Middle beach Rd before the 3 way intersection is still salt scrub and hasn't been cultivated so it couldn't be along this stretch, the opposite side of the rd has some cultivated land but apart from a thick scrub area around the dwelling or sheds it doesn't have the isolated trees.
Following MBR past the 3 way intersection and the road is scrub lined which isn't consistent with the picture, there are a few spots on the southern side that have no scrub but there is also a lack of isolated trees in the back ground, any further east and you're back at the highway which would be risky if dumping a body.

If you drop down in to street mode you see that the first field past the first dwelling on the eastern side has an old fence that comprises timber posts and droppers, tick.
You will also see a few clumps or isolated trees in the paddocks in the background, tick.
Lastly, looking across the wide verge, beyond the timber/dropper fence, past the clumps of trees, on a clear day, you will see the faint outline of the rolling hills that frame the eastern side of the Adelaide plains.

Obviously a lot has changed over the years but if i had to take a guess factoring in the above, id say that photo taken where PS's body was discovered is of the eastern side of Smith rd somewhere in the vicinity of the Davis Rd T junction.
That is most interesting. I'll have to scrutinise Google Maps further. Thank you for such a detailed examination. I'm not sure if you've seen the documentary The Butchered Boys, but at around the 20.10 minute mark, there is brief news footage of the area.This is the link.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is most interesting. I'll have to scrutinise Google Maps further. Thank you for such a detailed examination. I'm not sure if you've seen the documentary The Butchered Boys, but at around the 20.10 minute mark, there is brief news footage of the area.This is the link.

Yes, i edited my previous post to address this footage.

That piece of footage of the police cars and 4wd is misleading i believe, the contour of the land is nothing like the flat baron ground in the Middle Beach area.
Id say it was a clip from another disposal site, somewhere in the Adelaide hills and probably where either Mark Langley or Richard Kelvin we're found.
The Commodore is a VH model which didn't go into production until October 81, PS discovered in June 82 but footage not consistent with Middle Beach surrounds, that leaves ML or RK, both of which were found in the hills after october 81.
Im leaning towards it being from the RK scene as it looks more arid and northern than the Summertown area.

Lastly, looking across the wide verge, beyond the timber/dropper fence, over the cultivated paddock, past the clumps of trees, on a clear day, you will see the faint outline of the rolling hills that frame the eastern side of the Adelaide plains.

Great work there PenfoldsFan! 👏👏

Gday all !!!! Dell43 was chatting with me about Alan and helped me remember that the weekend Stevenson was killed Alan was with me at home . That weekend west play central’s at Elizabeth oval and my friend and I where beaten up. Alan joined my friend and I at Salisbury railway station to get back at same of the people who beat us up . This was about 530 pm that Saturday night and later we walked Jeff my friend to the bus stop on cross keys road . This was about 830 pm . Alan and I walked home and stayed home that night . Alan did not go out the night Stevenson was killed .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gday all !!!! Dell43 was chatting with me about Alan and helped me remember that the weekend Stevenson was killed Alan was with me at home . That weekend west play central’s at Elizabeth oval and my friend and I where beaten up. Alan joined my friend and I at Salisbury railway station to get back at same of the people who beat us up . This was about 530 pm that Saturday night and later we walked Jeff my friend to the bus stop on cross keys road . This was about 830 pm . Alan and I walked home and stayed home that night . Alan did not go out the night Stevenson was killed .

John Barnes

Charlie - I saw this article today and thought of you and what you said about DNA in this case. Interesting to see what the Professor at Flinders Uni says about having successfully obtained samples from the 1400s.

Last edited:
Last edited:
John Barnes

Charlie - Central and West played on 9 June 1979. See
https://australianfootball.com/seasons/season/sanfl/107/premiership+season/3/3/1979

Stevenson’s death is believed to have been overnight 4 June into early hours of 5 June. A Monday night/Tuesday morning. See http://netk.net.au/soi/SOI8.asp .
Do you recall what you all did that night?
Yes, according to the 2008 SA Football Media Guide, which lists every SANFL League game between 1907-2007, Central District played West Adelaide at Elizabeth Oval during Round 10 on Saturday, June 9, 1979. The week before, Round 9, Centrals played Port Adelaide at Alberton Oval on Saturday, June 2, 1979.

Yes, according to the 2008 SA Football Media Guide, which lists every SANFL League game between 1907-2007, Central District played West Adelaide at Elizabeth Oval during Round 10 on Saturday, June 9, 1979. The week before, Round 9, Centrals played Port Adelaide at Alberton Oval on Saturday, June 2, 1979.

Sorry all I thought Stevenson was killed on the 9th . Alan was on the 2nd at hungry Jack’s at 6 pm that weekend and took the train home with me . West hosted the tigers at Richmond oval and Jeff wells and I got the bus back to town and meet Alan with preacher . I don’t know what game they went too it could have been the port game . Preacher is a port fan

John Barnes

Charlie - Central and West played on 9 June 1979. See
https://australianfootball.com/seasons/season/sanfl/107/premiership+season/3/3/1979

Stevenson’s death is believed to have been overnight 4 June into early hours of 5 June. A Monday night/Tuesday morning. See http://netk.net.au/soi/SOI8.asp .
Do you recall what you all did that night?

If Stevenson was killed on the Monday night/ Tuesday morning then I just don’t know . Week nights Alan was home most of the time so I would say he would have been home that night . I can place thing with most weekends as Saturday I was at the footy and remember most of that but a week night was school day so I don’t remember every week night . It would have been unusual for Alan not to be home . That’s why mom rang the cops when Alan was not home by Sunday night the day he went missing .

If Stevenson was killed on the Monday night/ Tuesday morning then I just don’t know . Week nights Alan was home most of the time so I would say he would have been home that night . I can place thing with most weekends as Saturday I was at the footy and remember most of that but a week night was school day so I don’t remember every week night . It would have been unusual for Alan not to be home . That’s why mom rang the cops when Alan was not home by Sunday night the day he went missing .

I think that if it was anyone known it is probably more likely to have been Neil Muir. I don't know if Stevenson represented Neil in any of his Court cases but maybe?

Hi everybody,

for the last few months I've been one of the "silent onlookers" of this thread and I am impressed by how much detailed information has been forwarded and brought into the spotlight. I would like to join your group of independent investigators and I am looking forward to exchanging views/theories with you.

It's incredible that there are actually people here who witnessed those times in Adelaide themselves and have deep insights into names, addresses, even phone numbers and further details like the circumstances at DR's shop. I even read that some of you knew victims, their families or some circles that BVE was part of back then.
I would especially like to say hello to you, Charlie (John Barnes), I can only imagine your perseverance and strength!

Another reason why I would like to join this thread is because I wanted to ask if anybody has access or knows how to get access to the full 1984 and 1990 court documents or any other case files? I came across some documents on AustLII, but unfortunately the 1984 trial is missing and 1989/90 is only partially available. I wonder how Roles, McInerney or Marshall managed to get access?
A further question would be if there is any trace of the 1988 60 minute episode or other TV coverages during the 80s?
In the City of Evil episode were some glimpses and I wondered if anybody has encountered TV archives that include some of the coverage on the Family back then?
I also remember that Trevor Kipling recorded some of his interrogations with BVE, is that true?

Sorry for all these questions! They are just spilling out of me, because I feel that I have finally found the best group of people to answer them.

Sending kind regards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back