Crazy eyes is watching you 😳
350FFBBF-E328-41C5-8FB5-C1C1EF561AB1.jpeg

Oct 3, 2006
Manchester
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EPL
It was funny as i remember in his draft year i was keen for us to get Neal-Bullen and then Howe with one of our Miles/Pittonet picks, i reckon he was more a pick 50 than 30-odd

I was hoping like hell that Touk Miller would fall to our pick at 31 - he went at 27, my back up was Brayden Maynard and was shattered when he went at 30. Howe is a honest, hard at it player but nowhere near as good as the above two. If we get a pick ini the mid to late twenty’s - take it and run

He's never been able to become an unquestioned first team player. A little like Timmy.
Good time for him to start fresh for all involved.

I presume you mean by some supporters.
Seems the club doesn’t feel the same - Apart from injuries and suspension, it appears he doesn’t miss that many games

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I presume you mean by some supporters.
Seems the club doesn’t feel the same - Apart from injuries and suspension, it appears he doesn’t miss that many games

Dan Howe.
Drafted 2014
Made debut 2015
Games: 81 in nearly 7 completed seasons.

Some injuries and suspensions, sure. Also dropped for looking off the pace, unable to execute under the pressure of AFL games, not establishing himself in any one part of the ground, rarely being in the best on ground.

He's a battler who has been serviceable or better at times suggesting the promise of more.
Like Timbo, has never delivered on it.
He will never get quicker, he will never get taller, has 17 career goals, and is hardly a plus skills player to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Could he continue on the list? Sure.
I'd be surprised and think he would be better off as the 21st best player on a contender elsewhere than someone we should build around.
And that's what we'll be doing the next 2 years.
Rebuilding.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Big fan of Howe, but for the right price... He does as instructed and probably one of our best players for the last 4-6 weeks.

Seriously, we going to have anyone left on the list capable of hurting anyone? The line in the sand is blowing away as hard nuts are thrown up as tradeable players. Next thing we'll lose Sicily or Moore...

I'd prefer we keep him, particularly with the draft being weak, unless we were able to trade up into the first round e.g. Richmond's first rounder for our second rounder and Howe.

Feb 6, 2004
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
Just remember everyone he is a Hawthorn player. SO, if you compare him to another player at another club who is similar make sure that you say he is s**t and they are awesome.

I love crazy eyes and think he should be given more time in the middle tagging and creating space for others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Dan Howe.
Drafted 2014
Made debut 2015
Games: 81 in nearly 7 completed seasons.

Some injuries and suspensions, sure. Also dropped for looking off the pace, unable to execute under the pressure of AFL games, not establishing himself in any one part of the ground, rarely being in the best on ground.

He's a battler who has been serviceable or better at times suggesting the promise of more.
Like Timbo, has never delivered on it.
He will never get quicker, he will never get taller, has 17 career goals, and is hardly a plus skills player to make up for his lack of athleticism.

Could he continue on the list? Sure.
I'd be surprised and think he would be better off as the 21st best player on a contender elsewhere than someone we should build around.
And that's what we'll be doing the next 2 years.
Rebuilding.

This is a tad harsh. In his early days he was asked to tag some decent mids and was relatively successful. Our game plan over the last few years has rarely required this and when it did Shiela normally got the job. This season he's shown he can be a good link up option and decent interceptor. He's knows the game plan and in terms of our rebuild he fits the age profile. Plus he's one of the few on our list that has any mongrel. He's a keeper for mine.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This is a tad harsh. In his early days he was asked to tag some decent mids and was relatively successful. Our game plan over the last few years has rarely required this and when it did Shiela normally got the job. This season he's shown he can be a good link up option and decent interceptor. He's knows the game plan and in terms of our rebuild he fits the age profile. Plus he's one of the few on our list that has any mongrel. He's a keeper for mine.

He's definitely a glass half empty / half full type player.
You see the positives, I see the limitations.
In a champion team, if we were one, I could see his value.
Adding HIS limitations, to Shiela's limitations, to Titch's limitations, would limit us in the middle to being the worst in the comp going forward. His only value as I see it is as an undersized defender.
And frankly, we have better on the park in that role and in the waiting too.
Won't be fussed either way tho I don't see Sam wanting to play with those limitations in a starting over phase, and Dan is certainly a quality clubman to be able to call on in need or as simply a squad member.

Aug 31, 2006
A state of delusion
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd prefer we keep him, particularly with the draft being weak, unless we were able to trade up into the first round e.g. Richmond's first rounder for our second rounder and Howe.

Would be amazed if they did that. Wonder if Tigers can do what Lions & Hawks didn't and squeeze out a 4th somehow. Pretty tough to do.

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
I will freely admit I have been very critical of him across the journey; but the last few weeks he has somewhat become a watch player for me, that is to say, I think I am starting to become a bit of a fan

He has become this really important link player from defense to attack, and just seems to work his butt off for the entirety of a game

Dan's biggest limitation for mine is he appears slow to make a decision with ball in hand.
He has work rate, grunt, disposal is OK and has kicked a goal or two the couple of games.
But most importantly Dan puts others first and is prepared to sacrifice himself for team mates.

His trade value wont reflect his worth.

Can play in a few different spots, has a bit of size & mongrel unlike really anyone else in our armoury, can kick reasonably well in space.

He's a useful squad member in a squad with our age profile.

While he'll still have to keep fighting every few weeks to stay in the 22 he shouldn't be turfed in the absence of a North-esque total clean out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back