Preview Round 19: Essendon vs Greater Western Sydney, Carrara, Sunday 25/07/2021 @ 6:10 PM

Whomst dost thouest thinketh will have a higher score?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like Francis and Shiel will be available over the next 2 weeks, Caldwell and Langford over the next 3 weeks and possibly McGrath in a month or so (unsure about Jones).

Crux of the story is Smith better pull his digit out otherwise he could be the first player to make way and possibly as early as this Sunday.

Ins: Francis, Shiel
Outs: Waterman, Ham
Would be very surprised if Ham omitted, he played one of his best games for the club.

B Redman Stewart Hind
HB Ridley Laverde Heppell
C Durham Merrett Cox
HF Snelling Wright Perkins
F Tippa Hooker Guelfi
FOLL Draper Stringer Parish
INTER Sheil, Ham, Francis, Clarke
SUB Waterman

In Francis, Sheil, Clarke
Out Cutler, Smith, Gleeson

Watermans done enough to show he will be a long term proposition. Guelfi and Ham too. Be good to see if Clarke is worth keeping on the list. Cutler, Gleeson and Ambrose I think can safely be delisted.

Some discussion around match could be played Gabba, not Metricon due to Swans playing there during the arvo.
Perhaps 7:25pm Gabba Sunday.

If it is going to be a night game, then probably prefer it at Gabba given the dew factor (not Stuart) at Metricon that wrecks games there.
Fox now flagging a 12pm start time therefore the game must be @ the Gabba. Since the Metricon game Sydney vs Dockers starts @1210. Now during the morning they have a stair walk challenge, last registration for that is 1045am to walk 600 stairs😲. Makes more sense to open the Gabba to fans in the evening or arvo than clean the 1/3 of the stadium for fans @ Metricon. The Bombers are currently in Noosa so makes more sense to travel to Gabba rather than the longer trip to Metricon.

Last edited:
Would be very surprised if Ham omitted, he played one of his best games for the club.
Agree but someone has to go out for Shiel. Other possibilities are Cutler and Durham. Cutler’s had his 2 best games in red and black and Durham would be pretty stiff and think he offers versatility. Other one would be Guelfi and he’s been very good when given the opportunity. I’d offer up Smith but they’ll never drop him. Who would you drop?

In: Shiel, Francis
Out: Dev Smith, Durham

Francis, Stewart, Laverde, Heppell, Ridley, Hind, Redman (Back 7)

Draper, Zerrett, Parish, Shiel, Stringer (Mid 5)

Cox, Guelfi, Cutler (3 Wings)

Tippa, Perkins, Waterman, Hooker, P.Wright, Snelling, Ham (Forward 7)

Durham as sub

Edit: Just seen Harry J potentially out for season

Last edited:
In: Harry J, Shiel, Francis
Out: Waterman, Dev Smith, Durham

Tippa, Perkins, Harry J, Hooker, P.Wright, Snelling, Ham (Forward 7)

Durham or Waterman as sub

Surely Jones does not play?

We need to win this GWS will bw fighting auper hard for this id suspect or maybe giving up on the season. Hopefully the latter.

They have no ruck (Mumford, Flynn, Briggs)
No Toby Greene
No M.Deboer
Unlikely J.Kelly

In: Harry J, Shiel, Francis
Out: Waterman, Dev Smith, Durham

Tippa, Perkins, Harry J, Hooker, P.Wright, Snelling, Ham (Forward 7)

Durham or Waterman as sub
I admire your optimism in these depressing COVID times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS missing Green, De Boer and likely Josh Kelly (ankle).

If finals are the goal for the club from this position, we have no excuse not to win this game.

Knock off Collingwood and the Suns and that might be enough, regardless of our results vs Sydney and WBD

And they don’t have a ruck. Flynn is out. Preuss still injured. Mumford is having back issues and shouldn’t be playing but I guess they could play him under duress this week?

Being injured for that long, you can’t afford to have a guy blow out the cobwebs at afl level.
VFL may not go ahead and Shiel is reportedly one of the most professional AFL players. I would therefore take the risk of him being ready to play a role at AFL level this week.

And they don’t have a ruck. Flynn is out. Preuss still injured. Mumford is having back issues and shouldn’t be playing but I guess they could play him under duress this week?
There's speculation that Mumford might have been at the Rugby too.

Sproule will probably be their first ruck, unless they go with Keeffe?

VFL may not go ahead and Shiel is reportedly one of the most professional AFL players. I would therefore take the risk of him being ready to play a role at AFL level this week.
There’ll be scratch matches. You can be professional as you want, it doesn’t give you match fitness after being out for 4 months. Look how much rowell has struggled coming back after a 10 week knee, shiel has been out even longer.

Sounds like Francis and Shiel will be available over the next 2 weeks, Caldwell and Langford over the next 3 weeks and possibly McGrath in a month or so (unsure about Jones).

Crux of the story is Smith better pull his digit out otherwise he could be the first player to make way and possibly as early as this Sunday.

Ins: Francis, Shiel
Outs: Waterman, Ham
Ham was pivotal i thought

Being injured for that long, you can’t afford to have a guy blow out the cobwebs at afl level.

That also includes Francis. His form before his time off was pretty ordinary.
No way I’m dropping anyone for him. He needs to really earn his spot back.

There's speculation that Mumford might have been at the Rugby too.

Sproule will probably be their first ruck, unless they go with Keeffe?
Hasn't Keefe done his acl? or is he back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back