News Clarkson news, media etc - he’s off into the Sunset!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you guys just need to step back and breathe.

Sam Mitchell is our next coach because the club had seen enough over the last 3-5 years to think Clarko’s time was up.

Sam and Clarko are not sworn enemies, no matter what gets written.

Everything else is just noise. Pay it no attention.

OsakaHawk

Dotonbori loiterer
Mar 22, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
This thread is a damn joke. Qanon levels of tin foil hat rubbish. The day when Clarko finishes up was always going to come. (I love the man and think he's doing a fine job, but it has to end someday) It absolutely should be the clubs decision, not Clarko's, as with any player or personnel at the club. Clarko *does not* run the Hawthorn football club, he coaches the team.

As far as things have gone, it's all completely logical. Why would Clarko even bring it up if there was no reason. He obviously had to foresee this as a possibility. Yeah there's emotion about an era ending (especially for Clarko himself), but there would be if it happened 2 years ago, now, or in 5 years. It's unavoidable.

The media are looking for a story plain and simple, and are clearly willing to bend the truth, or even make their own story if they need to. They can GAGF. The Hawthorn football club is bigger than this. Bigger than any one coach we've ever had. And we're gonna win premierships sometime down the road. Everything else is irrelevant. Looking forward to flogging the Crows on the weekend.

Do you think it’s been handled well? It’s not what I’ve come to expect from our club.

I have no issue with the decision, I just felt the whole announcement and the communication up until yesterday has been pretty average. Which is why we’ve had to listen to so much rubbish from the media. It’s not what I would call ideal.
Given the circumstances with the Pies job being available to Mitch, I don't know how else it could have been handled.

I'm genuinely curious to what others think the Club could have done better.

It’s easier to just whinge
Imagine the media narrative had we extended Clarko and lost Sam to the Pies!!!

I'm curious how the club could have handled this better once they made the call to go with Mitchell. The issues at the Pies forced their hand, and I think they've handled it pretty well since then

Sizzlesilk

Premium Platinum
Jul 10, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Please do remember... there is someone from every major media outlet on every single clubs page.

There are people from the club... other clubs... sacked/disgruntled players... their families/friends. Ex staff.

There are absolute nobodies that just stay slightly ahead of the news that can spin hard & may seem like they have genuine info...

We have so many that just talk plain sh*t as they have personal agendas.

The media have almost an obligation to sexy this stoush up. It’s just noise. Let our performances going forward do the talking.

Time to ride these bumps with a grin.

Last edited:

burton5

Senior List
Sep 20, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My read from undisputed public information and other sources:
-2018: Clarkson coerces Mitchell into coming back to Hawthorn with an unclear long term view of him taking over at some point in time; Board extends Clarkson to 2022, Clarkson/board unclear if he will still have the energy to coach beyond 2022.

-2020: Board views Clarkson as done at end of contract; sees Mitchell as likely successor appoints -him @ Box Hill for 2021

-2021: Clarkson, reinvigorated by young prospects, has passion for coaching beyond 2023 (could commit to an additional 5 years or so). Hears Mitchell engaged in Collingwood coaching process, goes to board seeking an extension of his contract believing he will get it on the basis that the board still has faith in him, and that their chosen successor (Mitchell) has been thwarted. At worst, in Clarkson’s eyes, he gets a two year extension with Mitchell staying on being a secondary priority to his own future.

Board boldly pulls the trigger on Mitchell and offers him the job from 2023 onwards. Board doesn’t consult with Clarkson. Key stakeholders (Reeves + Kennett and OTHER board members) had formed the view that Mitchell would take over from Clarkson in 2023 at latest March this year. These announcements/discussions would have occurred at the end of the season with the board being comfortable for Clarkson to take a job elsewhere 2022 onwards. Clarkson largely unaware of the writing on the wall internally regarding his future.

It appears the sycophantic board has completely blindsided Clarkson hence the public, partly media induced, leaking from multiple parties.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My read from undisputed public information and other sources:
-2018: Clarkson coerces Mitchell into coming back to Hawthorn with an unclear long term view of him taking over at some point in time; Board extends Clarkson to 2022, Clarkson/board unclear if he will still have the energy to coach beyond 2022.

-2020: Board views Clarkson as done at end of contract; sees Mitchell as likely successor appoints -him @ Box Hill for 2021

-2021: Clarkson, reinvigorated by young prospects, has passion for coaching beyond 2023 (could commit to an additional 5 years or so). Hears Mitchell engaged in Collingwood coaching process, goes to board seeking an extension of his contract believing he will get it on the basis that the board still has faith in him, and that their chosen successor (Mitchell) has been thwarted. At worst, in Clarkson’s eyes, he gets a two year extension with Mitchell staying on being a secondary priority to his own future.

Board boldly pulls the trigger on Mitchell and offers him the job from 2023 onwards. Board doesn’t consult with Clarkson. Key stakeholders (Reeves + Kennett and OTHER board members) had formed the view that Mitchell would take over from Clarkson in 2023 at latest March this year. These announcements/discussions would have occurred at the end of the season with the board being comfortable for Clarkson to take a job elsewhere 2022 onwards. Clarkson largely unaware of the writing on the wall internally regarding his future.

It appears the sycophantic board has completely blindsided Clarkson hence the public, partly media induced, leaking from multiple parties.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Clarkson didn't bring Mitchell back for him to then spend 7+ years as an assistant

Board didn't initiate the Mitchell to Box Hill thing. That was Clarko and Mitchell

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I havent read all of the last 7 or 8 pages, but caught some of the Sam Mitchell comments, and saw what Caroline Wilson had to say.

And to be quite frank, I am disgusted. The media will do what the media will do. But our club has not set itself up for success in the process.
It is very clear to me that this is a Kennett power play. I for one am happy to march him out the door.

The thing that annoys me most with this whole process is that it appears that Jeff didnt have the balls to sit down man to man and ask Clarko what he was thinking. This is a decision the board has made - driven by Kennett - and then Clarko was advised of the outcome.
I think Clarko deserves much better than this.
At least give him the courtesy to sit down over a coffee and discuss how he is feeling about the prospect of coaching the club beyond his current contract, in the clear expectation that the board is looking for someone to carry the club forward not just for the length of his next contract, but the next 5 - 10 years. Give him the courtesy to ask how he feels about this, and if he thinks it is the right time to move towards a succession plan. Whilst there has likely been some discussion over the last couple of years, clearly it had to come to a head in light of the circumstances at Collingwood.

I see no evidence the Kennett even have the common courtesy to sit down man to man with Clarko and seek his input on what ewas best for the long term future of the club. How many times have we heard about Clarko having "the chat" with aging senior players like Jordi, Hodgey, Roughy etc - this is a respectful mature way to go about it that values the individual. I dont think Kennett has afforded Clarko the same courtesy.
I dont believe this is the sort of culture you want at our club.
I was always taught to have respect for people - I think this process shows a clear lack of respect for Clarko, and by extension Sam.

As a result, we have what can only be described as a media shite storm that can only be of the club's (Kennett's) doing.
Blame the media all you like
The root cause of this is Jeff Kennett and his ego - had to get the last word in.
Its time to go Jeff - you have done enough damage

Opens positions

Senior List
Oct 30, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Double dipping fail.
Bargain chip fail.
Undermine fail.
Rival wants more fail.
Attempts to drag HFC thru mud with leaks.Bad move fail
Facts favour HFC pass.
Amateur political game playing fail
HFC will come out the other end much better pass.

Last edited:

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given the circumstances with the Pies job being available to Mitch, I don't know how else it could have been handled.

I'm genuinely curious to what others think the Club could have done better.

Having the common courtesy to sit down and talk man to man beforehand might have helped.
Notwithstanding that Clarko got Mitch back to the club as his potential successor, the whole thing has been very poorly managed.

Now the club, including Clarko and Mitch, have to pick up the pieces to try to get some clean air, and so as not to damage reputations and relationship within the club.

Its a slippery slope

Very poor leadership by our board - in particular Jeff Kennett

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AC has told a number of people at the HFC he would be more than happy to commit to 2025.

Kennett and his Board have handled this poorly.

But he couldn't commit post that.....

Funnily enough, Sam's contract is also only to end 2025.
So I guess you can say he hasnt committed beyond then either

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
As expected Jeff not pulling any punches here; "I don't watch the show and I suspect many of you do not as well" - BANG!!!!!

I started reading the letter and had a hard time moving past this doozy:

I will never forget the scribblings of former coach Allan Jeans who wrote before a Grand Final we won, “if you win the tackles, you win the game”.

Such was the case on Saturday when we delivered 81 tackles to Melbourne’s 60.

sociable hawk

Senior List
Aug 16, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hmmm. Have you been listening to Gerard lately buying into the whole mess and suggesting it will fail? He has run through it on his radio show and then doubled down with Robbo on his Tv Show .

Gerard is a politician. He knows when to hold them and when to fold them. He plays his role very well and will change with the breeze depending on what the general feeling is.
Must admit haven't listened to him lately, but have always found him to be very level headed in all conversations. Maybe as you say ,he speaks well like a politician.

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
I started reading the letter and had a hard time moving past this doozy:

I will never forget the scribblings of former coach Allan Jeans who wrote before a Grand Final we won, “if you win the tackles, you win the game”.

Such was the case on Saturday when we delivered 81 tackles to Melbourne’s 60.

is JK aware we didn’t win?

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Yep, yawn. They are going to stir up the Lewis/Clarkson angle only now the Clarkson/Kennett angle as hard as they can. See if they can get Clarkson to talk on it. Whately is a little turd, I guess. Can't help but do the New Idea gossip angle.

Were I a journalist, here are some questions I would be interested to ask:

- You played with many of the men in the side. How will you deal with that level of familiarity? What happens when it's time to cut Gunston?
- Many say Clarkson has gone a little stale, yet you played and coached virtually your entire career under him. How are you fresh?
- Where is the game going and why?
- You've got list and development responsibilities for the next 18 months. What does Hawthorn need?

And maybe a few more. Instead? Kardashians. Frickin disgraceful efforts by the media.

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Clearly I do not agree with the initial decision, that said, I love Sam Mitchell, but why do we think he is the individual to take over from AC, what is the process of due diligence about such a decision ??
Look, Kennett wanted Sam, Kennett wanted AC replaced, Kennett convinced his Board, Exec (he just reappointed the silent CEO for five years….quietly), then turned his hand to the footy dept, and when he got them on side conjured up the succession plan so he did not have to pay out $1.2m plus.
Finally, do you think every player recruited to our Club within the failed List Management strategy did not need to be signed of by the Board and its President. Of course not. This decision “protects and distracts” the President and Board from holding the necessary responsibility for the earlier strategy. They are equally if not more culpable for the decisions made. After all THEY are your Board or so Mr Kennett, the prince of all corporate governance constantly reminds us of.
I am staggered HFC people are so trusting.

I don't think the politics of your story is right, but if it were then, although disappointed, I'm still ok with the change. I (for what my anonymous opinion is worth) think it was time.

Do you think Clarkson actually went to the club and said, "You better have a think about going to Sam now because Collingwood will grab him and you won't have the chance to make this decision if you wait" or do yo think Clarkson was telling a little white lie when he said he started the whole thing?

Last edited:

Carl Spackler

Club Legend
Jul 29, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yep, yawn. They are going to stir up the Lewis/Clarkson angle only now the Clarkson/Kennett angle as hard as they can. See if they can get Clarkson to talk on it. Whately is a little turd, I guess. Can't help but do the New Idea gossip angle.

Were I a journalist, here are some questions I would be interested to ask:

- You played with many of the men in the side. How will you deal with that level of familiarity? What happens when it's time to cut Gunston?
- Many say Clarkson has gone a little stale, yet you played and coached virtually your entire career under him. How are you fresh?
- Where is the game going and why?
- You've got list and development responsibilities for the next 18 months. What does Hawthorn need?

And maybe a few more. Instead? Kardashians. Frickin disgraceful efforts by the media.

Like water to a thirsty camel. Now, a few more drinks please, media types. Give us peasants some love.

AFL 2021: Sam Mitchell opens up on long-term goals at Hawks

“Right now, what I am doing is starting to look at the under 18s, the draft, list profiling, how successful teams have built their list, and list management strategies,” he said.

While he did not want to go into detail about the club’s long-term strategies, Mitchell said: “We are certainly going to go to the draft this year and next year.”

They made that decision, told said coach, then approached favourite son, who fortunately said yes and we move on.

This is only true in isolation and ignores the whole thing Sam said about the succession plan going right back through his move to WCE and back again and then in to the Box Hill job.

For people to believe it was just a decision without a plan and "fingers crossed Sam says yes" are basically saying BS to Sam and everything he said about those preceeding years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back