Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Peoples thoughts on Rory Lobb?

Definitely a pass for mine. Talented but inconsistent in output, seems highly overpaid atm too.

Would also prefer to pick up a younger ruck/forward like a Lynch from the pies

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Hypothetical question: (more so for draft watchers)

Would Hawks fans accept acquiring Matt Crouch as a free agent and trading Tom Mitchell for a first round pick if it meant...

Midfield inclusions: Crouch, Callaghan, Goater
Midfield exclusions: Tom Mitchell

Would certainly result in some short term pain, but in 4 years time Crouch would be 29 and the young boys 22 when we'd hope to be challenging.

*Edit: mods feel free to move to hypothetical trade thread, but I posted here mostly for the reasoning of Matt Crouch as a free agency target.

Last edited:
Hypothetical question: (more so for draft watchers)

Would Hawks fans accept acquiring Matt Crouch as a free agent and trading Tom Mitchell for a first round pick if it meant...

Midfield inclusions: Crouch, Callaghan, Goater
Midfield exclusions: Tom Mitchell

Would certainly result in some short term pain, but in 4 years time Crouch would be 29 and the young boys 22 when we'd hope to be challenging.

*Edit: mods feel free to move to hypothetical trade thread, but I posted here mostly for the reasoning of Matt Crouch as a free agency target.
That concept was floated a week or 2 ago - it made good sense then as well.

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Crouch can’t run cover ground anything close to what Mitchell can and he needs a run up to kick a 30m up and under ball.

The suggestion isn't that Crouch entirely covers the loss of Mitchell. It's pondering if we would be better in 4 years time with Crouch and 2 high draft picks than with Mitchell and 1 high draft pick.

There are no wrong answers, but nobody is suggesting moving on Mitchell to acquire Crouch unless we had a trade scenario too good up pass up.

Tbh I'd much rather bring on someone like Billings to add a point of difference if we are looking at FA.

Our midfield hasn't been working as well as it should and if we decide to shake it up by moving on our best mid in Mitchell then I wouldn't want us to just replace him with Mitchell Lite....

May 3, 2018
Central Coast NSW
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
You never over pay a player, if Keenan Brooksby is on $150 000 you don't go and pay him $250 000. You do just keep front ending and banking for future years. You may go to the Premiership players who took unders for years and give them a nice bonus if you can't bank any more.

We don't have many premiership players left on our list. Think its Breust, Gunston, McEvoy and Burgoyne. Burgoyne is retiring and Gunston has only played a handful of games the last 2 seasons so unless he's been paid peanuts the majority of his career we'll need another way to hit the minimum salary floor. I'm not against offering big $$$ to Kelly as a FA mainly because he's exactly what we need and also due to the fact there are not many premiership players left that might be upset if a big money offer was to made to a FA. Now it's worth mentioning that my idea of big $$ isn't the North Melbourne idea of big $$$. I'd take 750-850k per over 5 years. It would all matter little because North would be willing to offer 1m over 6-7 years but IMO it would say a lot about him if he was willing to come to us on the terms I mentioned if North are willing to go 150-250k more pa over a long period.

We don't have many premiership players left on our list. Think its Breust, Gunston, McEvoy and Burgoyne. Burgoyne is retiring and Gunston has only played a handful of games the last 2 seasons so unless he's been paid peanuts the majority of his career we'll need another way to hit the minimum salary floor. I'm not against offering big $$$ to Kelly as a FA mainly because he's exactly what we need and also due to the fact there are not many premiership players left that might be upset if a big money offer was to made to a FA. Now it's worth mentioning that my idea of big $$ isn't the North Melbourne idea of big $$$. I'd take 750-850k per over 5 years. It would all matter little because North would be willing to offer 1m over 6-7 years but IMO it would say a lot about him if he was willing to come to us on the terms I mentioned if North are willing to go 150-250k more pa over a long period.
And Shiels.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we could bring in two FA in Kelly + Billings, but had to trade out Mitchell + Collingwood's 2nd Rounder for another Top 10 Pick, would we do it?

Would likely cost ~$2m a year, but we'd save $400k of that from Mitchell's wage.

End with:
Pick 2*
Pick 10*
Pick 22*
Kelly
Billings

*close enough

Mods: please move to Hypothetical Thread if this discussion doesn't belong here

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
If we could bring in two FA in Kelly + Billings, but had to trade out Mitchell + Collingwood's 2nd Rounder for another Top 10 Pick, would we do it?

Would likely cost ~$2m a year, but we'd save $400k of that from Mitchell's wage.

End with:
Pick 2*
Pick 10*
Pick 22*
Kelly
Billings

*close enough
I'd do that.
But we're a bottom dwelling club. Think we can definitely do better than pick 10.

End with:
Pick 2*
Pick 10*
Pick 22*
Kelly
Billings

*close enough
Wait you think Mitchell AND Pies 2nd for Pick 10?! How about Mitchell for Pick 6-10 and a 2nd Rounder!

Lickmesocks

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'm glad it's not just me who sees it. I often refer to him as Crispin...and it's a no from me as well. Talented, but inconsistent and the wrong age profile

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Back To Future Rory!!!

1EE19162-11E2-4BA4-8587-EAF3D2DA0D35.png

rei154

Premiership Player
Jun 13, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we end up with pick three or four before f/s bids, but going off having pick 2:
With that in Mind:
Titchell + Collingwood 2nd for GCS first round (currently pick 5) + eof compensation
Dan Howe + fourth for Richmond second rounder
(if the reports were true) Hanrahan + future third for Geelong second first rounder (ties to dons)
Geelong second rounder + Richmond second rounder for Brisbane higher first rounder

we lose:
titch
both seconds traded in
Hanrahan
Dan Howe
Future third

We gain (as it stands)
Pick 5
Pick 14
Pick 19

giving us a draft hand of 2 (callaghan), 5 (Goater/Erasmus), 14 (Rachele), 19 (McDonald), 21 (Murley)

Before I get lambasted for having Titch on the table, it is a hypothetical and I think this would be worth it

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think we end up with pick three or four before f/s bids, but going off having pick 2:
With that in Mind:
Titchell + Collingwood 2nd for GCS first round (currently pick 5) + eof compensation
Dan Howe + fourth for Richmond second rounder
(if the reports were true) Hanrahan + future third for Geelong second first rounder (ties to dons)
Geelong second rounder + Richmond second rounder for Brisbane higher first rounder

we lose:
titch
both seconds traded in
Hanrahan
Dan Howe
Future third

We gain (as it stands)
Pick 5
Pick 14
Pick 19

giving us a draft hand of 2, 5, 14, 19, 21

Before I get lambasted for having Titch on the table, it is a hypothetical and I think this would be worth it
You can only be lambasted if you suggest Bailey Smith and add ons for wingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back