Does Murphy get to 300?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH I'm a p!ssed off that it's come to this.

He has been a great servant and great player, but the last couple of years he's been more greedy and entitled than anything.
He didn't take Geelong's offer. Any offer we gave him was going to be better, and he knew (like we all do) that if he went he'd be in the magoos within 1 season.

He clearly doesn't think that he deserves to play in the 2's or needs to earn his way back, and that's the club's fault.
It would be a shame if he doesn't get to 300, but if he gets gifted it through some sense of entitlement, then that's worse in my mind.
It is more important how he gets to 300 and not that he gets to 300.
Yeah no.

Geelong offer was clearly spoken about as being higher than ours.

Played reserves three or four weeks ago, played well and appeared to enjoy himself.

I have not seen one iota of greed or entitlement, apart from a few people on here with an agenda trying to make out that he has. Please feel free to quote examples to enlighten me.

I hope that he gets to 300 but have no issues if he doesn't get the opportunity. I just believe that he deserves better than people on here slagging him off.

If we somehow win today, we are right in the mix for finals, I think that would make Murphy’s chances of 300 drop as it would mean others would of played well and shouldn’t be dropped to allow for him just to get to 300.

The question was asked in MMM footy today.

Ross Lyon was unequivocal in his answer (pardon the paraphrasing) "clubs always talk about culture, Murphy gave his all for that club in tough times. It is vital for the culture of the carlton football club that Murphy plays 300 games"

Given the injury and his form he’s lucky the substitute is now an option - that’s probably the best way to get him 3 games to 299 before he runs out for his 300th

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And here we are... can't risk an underdone against must wins against North and StKilda in the next 2, leaving at least 3 games left where if we've won the next 2 do we play him even as sub? Fact of the matter is, he got injured at a bad time and the reality is he may not reach that milestone and should put up his hand honestly whether he thinks he's best 23 or not.

Is he ready to go this week in the vfl? If not and we win, hard to put him in the 1s first up, even as sub if we're serious about winning.

Other thing to consider is would he want to play his 300th, if it only about being sub for 297-299. It's one thing to have been sub in game 222 or something, but knowing that your last 3 weeks you didn't play would make 300 very strange.

Is he ready to go this week in the vfl? If not and we win, hard to put him in the 1s first up, even as sub if we're serious about winning.

Other thing to consider is would he want to play his 300th, if it only about being sub for 297-299. It's one thing to have been sub in game 222 or something, but knowing that your last 3 weeks you didn't play would make 300 very strange.
What do we do if final round of season and we're fighting for 8th with */Richmond/etc and need some % and Murphy is on 299 coming off playing 2 med sub games where he's not been used or had a minute or two game time in 7 weeks!

What do we do if final round of season and we're fighting for 8th with */Richmond/etc and need some % and Murphy is on 299 coming off playing 2 med sub games where he's not been used or had a minute or two game time in 7 weeks!
Let him decide if he wants to be sub and probably not get on the field in his 300th. In my opinion he's only this close due to decision makers not having the balls to make decisions.

Hypothetically, if we can make finals, he should not be coming in unless someone is injured. Even then, only if he has been playing vfl and better than the young guys.

I am not against Murphy in as sub.

Why? because he offers something different, can go into the middle if needed and needs to be respected on the offence by opponents.

He's not inherently best 22 anymore, but he can still do elite things.

Biggest drawback is of course his defensive stuff, which is why I am not bringing him straight onto the field

So, assuming no more changes to this week's team, Murphy needs 4 from 4?
The only way he can be guaranteed that now is 3 as the sub and play the last game of the year.
Even then, if he gets activated as the sub and gets injured, he's screwed.

EDIT: ignore me. Not reading properly.

Last edited:
The question was asked in MMM footy today.

Ross Lyon was unequivocal in his answer (pardon the paraphrasing) "clubs always talk about culture, Murphy gave his all for that club in tough times. It is vital for the culture of the carlton football club that Murphy plays 300 games"
Well..I’ve put a line thru his name on my potential coaches list!

Reckon the team, led by the “new breed” turned the corner yesterday.
If Teague/club are canny enough to recognise what’s unfolding, they’ll go all in with the new wave now and really set up for a breakout year next season.
There’s no turning back now, the team always and must come first !!
Exactly

So, assuming no more changes to this week's team, Murphy needs 4 from 4?
The only way he can be guaranteed that now is 3 as the sub and play the last game of the year.
Even then, if he gets activated as the sub and gets injured, he's screwed.
How so? He is one of 4 emergencies. One of these will be announced as the medical sub one hour before the game. Could be murph, Kemp fogarty or whomever else was named as an emergency unless there is something I am missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back