Autopsy Freo Give Up and Go Down by 40

Remove this Banner Ad

I think watching it gives a different perspective. 1st quarter was excellent skills and effort with some dockery sh*t chucked in. 2nd and 3rd quarters were just blokes jogging around or not competing. Last quarter the effort increased a bit but Sydney were in cruise mode

Some???!!! * it must get bad. Our effort and structures should've seen us well ahead but our complete lack of quality held us back.

I really don't know where to begin with our list or what we really need to fix/change as a team it's all a bit overwhelming. We should take solace in the fact that we do have the foundations of a great team we just need to continue to build our team list and work on our skill execution.
Honestly think we’re a key forward, defender and a winger away.
It’s astounding how the forward line works. Watch the top teams and it’s like synergy. Everyone knows their roles.
Frederick, Cox, Chapman, Treacy is a positive.
Have to shift through the old deadwood. At this point, Colyer is limiting a youngster progressing such as Western. Gets what, 8-9 touches a game with hardly any goals. I back Western to match if not better that next season
Tucker is a real concern. He’s now 24, 70 games in. He did have 20 today but he’s just looks slow and indecisive.

Oh and why the hell was Hughes dropped with Acres? Two hard bodies vs Crowden and Blakely in? I know they’re emergencies. But come on. What’s the whole point of Hughes rehabbing, having a quiet game where we for smashed anyway then dropped? The message’s weak.

Not exactly unexpected. I called it at half time.
Fyfe was bossing the clinches, Walters was linking up really nicely & we were winning.
Lose both those players, Darcy on one leg, Pearce on & off the ground. What do people expect to happen?
No Lobb, Treacy, Tabs barely functioning.
If anything I was impressed how we fought it out once the structure was gone.
I’m angry but I’m angry at the injury gods. I’m so sick of never having our strongest squad available at the same time. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tucker is a real concern. He’s now 24, 70 games in. He did have 20 today but he’s just looks slow and indecisive.
[/QUOTE]

Tucker is 90 games into his career compare him today to a similar player like ollie florent who is 12 months younger and tell me who is a better player. Tucker has gone backwards if you ask me and hasn't kicked on which comes back onto the club

Our gameplan and effort definitely had Sydney on the back foot in the first quarter.

When we showed some composure and the appropriate skill, we looked fantastic! It was just that far too many times we broke down due to our lack of class/quality letting Sydney back in the game.

They did say they are taking the opportunity to see what we have. Some of these guys will be given the flick, I assume. We are slow in the midfield, so we can't bring a guy like Tucker in there and he is a horrible defender. Surely we look elsewhere. Banfield would have been given one more opportunity, surely we are done with that.
As for Colyer keeping Western out. I doubt that. Players like Western and Henry should be rotated in and out of the side, so they can get experience and then have a break.

As frustrating as today was, I still don’t think Freo is that far off
Assuming Fyfe and Walters fit, the players to come in to todays side gives me some confidence.

Cox, Frederick, Chapman, Treacy, Lobb
Then hopefully we finally get Sturt and Hamling back. Some solid ins to push out some of the average fringe players.

even if Lobb left, you’d assume that’s only for a 1st round pick.
If Cerra leaves, couple more good picks.
So worst case there, adding a couple mids/key forwards and Motlop.

I dunno, I’m still optimistic

We did okay. I watched the Swans thrash the Eagles at GMHBA and thought we were in trouble. Losing Treacey ****ed us, and then to be crueled further by injuries mid game. Sonny’s was especially shot seeing as he was finally coming into form.

We screwed ourselves with poor skills and bad misses in the first when we should have been putting on scoreboard pressure. Then we lose self belief when the opposition pushes through the door we leave open. What are our leaders doing? There is something missing at the club that means we don’t have the kill switch. Gotta find it, and quick.

Our gameplan and effort definitely had Sydney on the back foot in the first quarter.

When we showed some composure and the appropriate skill, we looked fantastic! It was just that far too many times we broke down due to our lack of class/quality letting Sydney back in the game.
Started been too cute, overused the ball highlighted by Logue kicking 15k on the back pocket then Young trying to switch 50m across goal, in front of Sydney’s. Just go down the line

Hey
So the inferior team brought great effort to take it up to the superior team but couldn't sustain it and ultimately the much better team was the much better team? Sounds about right if so. It's a very, very common plot. I'll watch anyway.
Not how I saw it. We had decent effort the 1st quarter, not like it was amazing. We had some terrific skills which was the difference between the teams. Twas shite effort afterwards

Assuming Fyfe and Walters fit, the players to come in to todays side gives me some confidence.

Then hopefully we finally get Sturt and Hamling back. Some solid ins to push out some of the average fringe players.

Agree, but we are too soft and don't run hard enough both ways for long enough or often enough. If teams know they can just lead and chip all the way to their half forward line, they will just keep doing it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got this bitter taste that Freo will be bullied to take SPS and a junk pick for Cerra

Hey
Not how I saw it. We had decent effort the 1st quarter, not like it was amazing. We had some terrific skills which was the difference between the teams. Twas sh*te effort afterwards

Not to sure about the decent 1st quarter. I thought it was more Sydney not being switched on.
Posted watch out when Sydney get rid of the cobwebs. When they did it was an 8 goal avalanche and that was all he wrote.

We aren't going anywhere with 2 ******* tackles in the forward 50 for a whole game.
When the ball came to ground, our smalls were nowhere, and Sydney just strolled it out.
That's Henry, Banfield, Schultz, Crowden etc
They were nowhere

Got this bitter taste that Freo will be bullied to take SPS and a junk pick for Cerra

im Ok with taking SPS, reckon he would go ok to replace Cerra. Carlton haven’t played him right positionally for years. Give him a wing, at least he can kick.
But he will come with their first pick, or we can just grab him again in the draft, we will finish below them

I cant see how this style will win finals. We have been shown up by all of the top 6 and throw a depelted west coast as well. Outside of the dogs game and the Sydney win we havent come close and thats the biggest disappointment for me. If we went down in a tight tussle that went deep into the 4th you could cop it.

We will probably miss the finals because we couldn't beat carlton twice and kick straight against essendon. Those games are the killers really.

In terms of style our inability for small forwards to put pressure is abysmal. Go back to the 2013 PF against the Swans when we were at our peak our pressure was so manic even zac clarke was making tackles. That stat of inside 50 tackles shows we are way off. I have said for numerous weeks we dont value pressure as we are ranked 17th ans JL just brushes it off when asked
I don't think it's the style rather the application. We are the worst tackling side in the league, fix that and we improve dramatically. It also doesn't help that we continually fumble, give bad handballs or too slow to think.
We quite simply do not have enough clean ball users.

Agree, but we are too soft and don't run hard enough both ways for long enough or often enough. If teams know they can just lead and chip all the way to their half forward line, they will just keep doing it.

100% agree. I don’t like the system set up at kick ins. Zone seems too loose. Ball consistently goes from kick in to wing

That first quarter showed how good we can be if we actually work hard, I just don’t have the confidence this team is willing to do the hard work for 4 quarters

When someone like Tucker is being gifted games and he offers nothing yet gets selected every week, it’s no surprise players don’t do the hard work, there’s no accountability

So far in the second, we've been good. Effort is still really high and hanging tough as Sydney lift and re-adjust (aided by Sydney's poor goal shooting)

Random thoughts:

- Building a list is easy when the AFL give you priority access to players like Heeney no matter where you finish (Bitter much? Yes)

- At least we fought the game out in the last qtr. Can't simultaneously bemoan we don't fight games out while decrying last qtr as junk time

- Fixed the slow start today at least. If we started like that every week we'd be a few extra wins on the ladder

- Did someone give Banfield the mistaken impression he's in the team for his silky skills and creativity? Because those two times he gave up chasing in the 4th are unforgivable for a player on the edge whose only strength is his athleticism

- Pearce was magnificent on Buddy. With an uninterrupted career he'd be the best KPD in the game. Logue was good too when he moved on him

- That last 5 minutes was enough for me to think Henry is a winger, not a deep small forward

- Colyer is a waste of a spot. I'm encouraged JLo made the call on Acres, now do the same with Colyer. Barely gets involved and then when he does he butchers the kick even though he's supposed to be one of our most skillful players at training

- Tucker instantly looked better back in the midfield, he's clearly not a defender. Play him as a mid where he can push forward and have shots on goal, or don't play him at all

- Meek is about as good as a back-up ruck as you could hope for. Hope we can keep hold of him

Good points but tough on banfield in my opinion. He didn't have the match fitness to chase those guys in the 4th quarter. At least he was chasing - same can not be said for some of his team mates. Don't get me wrong I don't think he should get a game but he was trying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back