Prediction The Race for the 8 - Last 4 Games for the Contenders

Remove this Banner Ad

AstuteTiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well, this is it, teams falling over around the top 8 to cement a place. Can we make it?
The draw looks favourable when compared to other teams remaining games. I think we'll sneak in.

I've highlighted the games that matter, Richmond, West Coast, GWS, Essendon, Fremantle and St.Kilda.
Dimma says Prestia will play next week. Vlustuin is 50/50 but I reckon he'll play the following week along with Macintosh V North
That leaves Balta, Broad and Houli to come back before finals if we make it. Dusty as we know out for the season.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Will be a tight race. WC are two wins ahead of 9th, so feel like it's really that one position up for grabs. I'm actually amazed that we're still a chance considering how trash we've been playing!

Sent from my CPH1951 using Tapatalk

West Coast still play Melbourne and Brisbane. Win out and we finish 7th. 3/4 prob gets us 8th even if we lose to GWS. Any less that that and its pretty poor really.

This really is extraordinary but I’m pretty indifferent to us playing finals this year, actually, I’ll go a step further and say I rather bank the higher draft picks and give our players a well deserved and well needed break.

I've been of that thought for a while. But Nick Riewoldt said in the coverage that we should still go for it, it might be the last chance some of these greats get to play in finals. There is no rule that says we wont get a much worse run with injuries next year. This could be it for Jack, Cotch, Edwards etc. We aren't winning the flag, but imagine winning an away final to Port or Brisbane in week 1, would be epic.

This will be the ladder after rnd 23.

d6d4621999159b2a909bf4e6ab14d454.jpg

I've been of that thought for a while. But Nick Riewoldt said in the coverage that we should still go for it, it might be the last chance some of these greats get to play in finals. There is no rule that says we wont get a much worse run with injuries next year. This could be it for Jack, Cotch, Edwards etc. We aren't winning the flag, but imagine winning an away final to Port or Brisbane in week 1, would be epic.

I agree with that too banzai, making the finals and wining a final as a reigning Premier (but depleted) would be something to be proud of, as opposed to bundling out and missing finals altogether.

Above all, I think all fans are really content and both scenarios have the club’s interests at heart.

We will beat Freo especially with them losing Fyfe on top of their current injuries then watch an improved North knock us off followed by GWS before finishing with a worthless win against Hawthorn.

Will finish 9th or 10th.

GWS game prob be at Metricon. We should win it. I too am worried about the North game, we are awful at the G, dont look like scoring.

We will beat Freo especially with them losing Fyfe on top of their current injuries then watch an improved North knock us off followed by GWS before finishing with a worthless win against Hawthorn.

Will finish 9th or 10th.

Walters out too with a hammy. No way North look to win a meaningless game and give pies or hawks the coveted No 1 pick

Walters out too with a hammy. No way North look to win a meaningless game and give pies or hawks the coveted No 1 pick
It's why North are s**t, they will win because it shows improvement while Hawthorn laugh all the way to the draft.

I have no doubt we will only win 2 of our last 4, as inconsistent as our season has been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon did us a massive favour by dropping the game against GWS.

4/4 means we're likely to finish 7th.
3/4 means we're likely to finish 8th.
2/4 or less and we don't play finals.

Personally, I've got us winning all 4. Don't think we were terrible today. There's just a really big gap between where we're at and where Geelong is at.

Not sure I'm overly excited about finals though, but I guess you have to be in it to win it.

I checked out before the game but am now checked in for an 8 game winning streak.

Club needs to show the boys the 99 cricket world cup where an unimpressive Australia looked like dudding out and Steve Waugh said "well we need to win every game so that's what we're going to do".

And we did!

If we make it, which I dont think we will, we will be well beaten by 5th imo.

Personally I reckon GWS will beat us and end our season. Freo could too.

Remember we've lost to the Saints, Collingwood and Suns recently before you scoff at that.....

We won’t make the 8 GWS will get that spot IMO

GWS play Geelong and Port. Most likely finish with 10.5 wins. Even if we only win 3, we’ll get over them. Bombers draw isn’t great either. Probably finish on 10 wins.

Essendon did us a massive favour by dropping the game against GWS.

4/4 means we're likely to finish 7th.
3/4 means we're likely to finish 8th.
2/4 or less and we don't play finals.

Personally, I've got us winning all 4. Don't think we were terrible today. There's just a really big gap between where we're at and where Geelong is at.

Not sure I'm overly excited about finals though, but I guess you have to be in it to win it.

Yep, that's how I've got it too, reckon we'll win at least 3 and hopefully all 4
Fyfe out for the year and Walters did his hammy.

7. West Coast
40 points (10 wins, eight losses), 98.6 per cent

The Eagles strengthened their grip on a top-eight spot and proved they were "up for the fight" with a gritty eight-point win against St Kilda, importantly seeing off one of their competitors for the last two finals spots. Liam Ryan's hamstring injury is a blow for a team that is having soft tissue setbacks almost weekly. The Eagles will be favoured to beat Collingwood next week, but their low percentage right now means the job of securing a finals spot won't feel completely done if they win. Difficult games loom against Melbourne and Brisbane and the round 22 Western Derby shapes as a high stakes clash for both clubs with finals spots on the line. - Nathan Schmook

The run home
R20: Collingwood @ MCG
R21: Melbourne @ Optus Stadium
R22: Fremantle @ Optus Stadium
R23: Brisbane @ Gabba

8. Greater Western Sydney
34 points (eight wins, nine losses, one draw), 96.6 per cent

The Giants now have their finals destiny in their own hands, with their gritty 13-point victory over the Bombers on Sunday catapulting them inside the top eight. The bad news is they have a difficult run over the next fortnight, with matches against premiership fancies Port Adelaide and Geelong sure to test their September credentials. The good news is that they face winnable matches against Richmond and Carlton over the final two rounds, which loom as decisive for Leon Cameron's side. - Jonathan Healy

The run home
R20: Port Adelaide @ TBC
R21: Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium
R22: Richmond @ TBC
R23: Carlton @ Marvel Stadium

9. Essendon
32 points (eight wins, 10 losses), 103.7 per cent

The Bombers missed a massive chance to strengthen their finals claims when they lost to the Giants on Sunday night and now face the prospect of a difficult run home and another year without September football. The Dons will probably need to snag an upset victory over the next fortnight against premiership fancies the Western Bulldogs and Sydney, while they have winnable matches in the final two rounds against Gold Coast and Collingwood. - Jonathan Healy

The run home
R20: Sydney @ Marvel Stadium
R21: Western Bulldogs @ Marvel Stadium
R22: Gold Coast @ Metricon Stadium
R23: Collingwood @ MCG

10. Richmond
32 points (eight wins, 10 losses), 98.2 per cent

Richmond's finals chances are hanging by a thread. However, in better news for the reigning premiers, a rather soft run home lies in wait. The club won't face another top-six side for the remainder of the year, though will endure two difficult road trips against Fremantle and Greater Western Sydney. If it can split those – and beat the lowly North Melbourne and Hawthorn on its home deck at the MCG – the Tigers will still be a fighting chance to make September. Never rule them out. - Riley Beveridge

The run home
R20: Fremantle @ Optus Stadium
R21: North Melbourne @ MCG
R22: GWS Giants @ TBC
R23: Hawthorn @ MCG

11. Fremantle
32 points (eight wins, 10 losses), 90.3 per cent

The Dockers were unable to capitalise on their strong start against the Swans and, with a second consecutive loss and injuries to Nat Fyfe and Michael Walters, now look unlikely to finish in the top eight. A round 10 win over the Swans is still the only time the Dockers have beaten a team now sitting in the eight but to reignite their finals hopes they will have to find that sort of form against Richmond, Brisbane and West Coast in the coming weeks. Even if the Dockers win those three matches, their poor percentage means they will probably also need to beat St Kilda in round 23 to extend their season. - Martin Pegan

The run home
R20: Richmond @ Optus Stadium
R21: Brisbane @ Optus Stadium
R22: West Coast @ Optus Stadium
R23: St Kilda @ Marvel Stadium

12. St Kilda
32 points (eight wins, 10 losses), 86.9 per cent

Saturday's eight-point loss to West Coast was a hammer blow to the Saints' finals chances after a month-long run of good form. With the worst percentage of the teams still contending, they have left themselves with too much work to do, probably needing to win all four remaining games to make it. They'll be favoured to beat Carlton next week, but Sydney and Geelong back-to-back are significant challenges before a clash against a Fremantle team that could be playing for a finals spot itself. Rowan Marshall's return will be a massive boost and the Saints can't be discounted in any match with Max King in brilliant form. - Nathan Schmook

The run home
R20: Carlton @ Marvel Stadium
R21: Sydney @ TBC
R22: Geelong @ GMHBA Stadium
R23: Fremantle @ Marvel Stadium

Win our next 3 and there is a strong chance that we have qualified for the finals.

GWS LLL Port, Geel, Rich
Ess LLW Syd, WBD, Suns
StK WLL Carl, Syd, Geel
Freo LLL Rich Bris WCE

1627249214006.png

Can manage players for last home and away games against the Hawks, plus will have they bye round also to freshen up.

Would much rather we put the cue in the rack, play the kids, let the older bodies have a good break to recover and refresh, hit the the draft with a top 10 pick and reset for next year. Let’s be honest we will not make it past first week of finals anyway, we haven’t looked like it all season.
Hopefully get at least 1-2 assistants in to help out.
Can’t underestimate how much losing Leppa and Fly has hurt us this season as well as our injuries.
We will be back next year!

GWS game prob be at Metricon. We should win it. I too am worried about the North game, we are awful at the G, dont look like scoring.
And norf play their grand final against us

Remove this Banner Ad

Back