Autopsy Freo Give Up and Go Down by 40

Remove this Banner Ad

We lost our structure. Yes it took too long to rejig after Fyfe & Walters went off & that’s when we lost the game.
For some reason Cerra was playing in the back half & Fyfe was our primary ball winner (teams are now locking Mundy down). Walters was being general between back & forwards & it was working beautifully. It fell apart when they got injured.
We had basically no forwards other than Darcy on one leg. Banfield, Shultz & Henry were mostly useless against a well organized Swans defense. Tabs couldn’t get into it.
Lobb, Treacy up forward, Fyfe & Walters playing full games & we win that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might be wrong but I thought it went to s**t a fair time before Fyfe and Walters were injured. You’re being very generous Eesh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't watch the second half, you could see it within minutes after Fyfe went down.

If you want to know why this year is different to say 2019, compare the form of Walters and Fyfe that year to this one. Stick those versions in this team and we'd have won 1-3 more games. Instead we have unfit Sonny and perma-injured Fyfe.

At one point just before half they said we had scored 6.5 (11 scoring shots) from`19 forward 50 entries - and actually should have been more with a couple of missed chest marks and some other bungles around goals.

We ended up with 43 forward 50 entries...so we had another 24 inside 50's for 2.4 (ie 6 scores).

If you're scoring like we did in the first half, you can get away without tackling and locking the ball in, but when its still coming in the forward 50, the forwards still have to fight for the ball and lock it up and give us another chance.

There was very little of that - Brereton highlighted it several times - non-competing, not fighting for position in marking contests and just lack of chase, lack of speed and broken tackles that let the Swans defenders out easily.

Our defenders gave up some turnover goals from misdirected kicks and gave away some free kicks in front of goals - maybe too many, because I can think of about 6 off the top of my head - but overall I thought they put in a much more honest performance than the forward half.

How do people think our mids went? We won the clearances. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong had 90 possessions between them. They weren't smashed, although Kennedy and Parker were the best two mids. We won the hitouts and the clearances. (Cerra looked like he played a fair bit of the game on the wing).

Maybe around the outside with players like Heeney, Dawson, Lloyd, Gulden and Rampe running off and were more effective kicking and under less pressure than our best ball users - especially after half time. In the first half they were using their pressure gauge to talk about how our pressure around the ball was above average.

Last edited:
Not sure what was worse, Freo forward line or the commentary line up of Underwood, Dermy and King. Couldn’t select a worse trio.

I know hes not popular on here but I thought Kings comments were mostly spot on all day. Gave us credit where it was due and flak where it was due.

At one point just before half they said we had scored 6.5 (11 scoring shots) from`19 forward 50 entries - and actually should have been more with a couple of missed chest marks and some other bungles around goals.

We ended up with 43 forward 50 entries...so we had another 24 inside 50's for 2.4 (ie 6 scores).

If you're scoring like we did in the first half, you can get away without tackling and locking the ball in, but when its still coming in the forward 50, the forwards still have to fight for the ball and lock it up and give us another chance.

There was very little of that - Brereton highlighted it several times - non-competing, not fighting for position in marking contests and just lack of chase, lack of speed and broken tackles that let the Swans defenders out easily.

Our defenders gave up some turnover goals from misdirected kicks and gave away some free kicks in front of goals - maybe too many, because I can think of about 6 off the top of my head - but overall I thought they put in a much more honest performance than the forward half.

How do people think our mids went? We won the clearances. Brayshaw, Cerra, Serong had 90 possessions between them. They weren't smashed, although Kennedy and Parker were the best two mids. We won the hitouts and the clearances. (Cerra looked like he played a fair bit of the game on the wing).

Maybe around the outside with players like Heeney, Dawson, Lloyd, Gulden and Rampe running off and were more effective kicking and under less pressure than our best ball users - especially after half time. In the first half they were using their pressure gauge to talk about how our pressure around the ball was above average.

Re the midfield, Fyfe was doing a fair bit up until he got injured too and we missed that when he went off. Mundy was well tagged and as you say, Serong, Brayshaw and Cerra did all they could. Who was on the other wing if Cerra was on one? Was it Tucker or Aish or combo of the two? Either way, we needed more support.

Re the midfield, Fyfe was doing a fair bit up until he got injured too and we missed that when he went off. Mundy was well tagged and as you say, Serong, Brayshaw and Cerra did all they could. Who was on the other wing if Cerra was on one? Was it Tucker or Aish or combo of the two? Either way, we needed more support.

Hard to tell with the way players switch around and cover for each other. Aish and Tucker sounds about right - probably noticed Tucker moving into space wing/ forward areas more than Aish today.

Just saw that Cerra started on the wing (on the camera side of the ground) at a few centre bounce downs. Sometimes it looked liked Cerra was with Parker. Sometimes Heeney was on a wing, sometimes he was forward- one ocassion Cerra had to track him back to the goal square and couldn't catch the Heeney lead.

Did Henry play more up the field in the final quarter? Don't know if it was wing but he was in our D50 a couple of times - and looks better when he has more space around the flanks of the ground.

I wouldn't mind seeing Walker on a wing sometime.

Taberner got exposed again for the useless crab that he is. Good grief, we need to trade him.
First game back. No Lobb, no Treacy, Darcy on half a leg. About as worst as you could imagine coming back in.
The rest of the forward line was woeful. Why are we playing Schulz, Crowden and Colyer if we have 2! Tackles inside 50. Stuff that

Watching a replay of the game it's obvious Franklin has a licence from the umpires and the AFL to act like a dog. Disgusted to know this player can get away with stuff that gets other mere mortals weeks on the side lines.
What you expect? Got 3-4 of his goals vs Logue at home via free kicks.
Douche that’s been protected for years. See the tackle on Pearce. Guess who was the umpire behind that? Nicholls. The same guy that umpired the 2013 GF. It is what it is. If only Tabs got even close to 10% of his free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy would be close to my all time favourite player so don’t get the hate. He will get a week for his elbow on Ryan but god damn he’s a champion.
The hate was because he was an absolute flog on the weekend, running around legitimately trying to hurt our players.

My 2nd favourite non Freo player of my football watching life (behind Judd), but flog is the nicest word I can call him for what he did against us

The hate was because he was an absolute flog on the weekend, running around legitimately trying to hurt our players.

My 2nd favourite non Freo player of my football watching life (behind Judd), but flog is the nicest word I can call him for what he did against us
The hate was the same last time we played him. There are so few genuine champions of the game at the moment so I’m not calling one a douche etc. Running around trying to hurt, one of the things we love about Treacy. The elbow was s**t and will get a week.

Edit: Probably one for the vent thread tbh. It’s more to do with the defensive minded AFL than anything else. The more Buddy’s the better.

I'm going to do something foolish here and defend Schultz re tackles inside F50.

Schultz does tackle. He had 4 tackles on the weekend. Its just none were inside F50.

The thing is Schultz often doesn't play the pressure forward role inside F50. He is often playing higher, more likely to lead up towards half-forward than be at the feet of pack at the hotspot. When the ball hits the deck he is often a far way from the ground ball and thus not in position to apply pressure as the defenders handball/run the ball outside their D50.

You might say that Schultz shouldn't be wandering around at high half forward and he should be closer to goal. I think you would be right, but I also think that the high role is the one he is specifically given by the coach. After all, he often plays that way and he keeps on getting picked.

Not sure what was worse, Freo forward line or the commentary line up of Underwood, Dermy and King. Couldn’t select a worse trio.
Derm makes commentary entertaining because sometimes the other commentators just ignore him and it's fun to imagine the looks he gets when he says dumb s**t

I'm going to do something foolish here and defend Schultz re tackles inside F50.

Schultz does tackle. He had 4 tackles on the weekend. Its just none were inside F50.

The thing is Schultz often doesn't play the pressure forward role inside F50. He is often playing higher, more likely to lead up towards half-forward than be at the feet of pack at the hotspot. When the ball hits the deck he is often a far way from the ground ball and thus not in position to apply pressure as the defenders handball/run the ball outside their D50.

You might say that Schultz shouldn't be wandering around at high half forward and he should be closer to goal. I think you would be right, but I also think that the high role is the one he is specifically given by the coach. After all, he often plays that way and he keeps on getting picked.
Salim said it first and best, Schultz isnt a small forward, he's just small. His crumbing is poor, but he's a decent mark for his size. He's a bankrupt man's Toby Greene.

Henry actually seems to have the best crumbing instincts of any of our small forwards but clearly has serious limitations at the moment. Switta has ok crumbing ability that's made up for with being our best tackler and Crowden is too slow to be a good small forward (regardless of whatever stats you show me, the eye test tells me he's too slow).

Salim said it first and best, Schultz isnt a small forward, he's just small. His crumbing is poor, but he's a decent mark for his size. He's a bankrupt man's Toby Greene.

Henry actually seems to have the best crumbing instincts of any of our small forwards but clearly has serious limitations at the moment. Switta has ok crumbing ability that's made up for with being our best tackler and Crowden is too slow to be a good small forward (regardless of whatever stats you show me, the eye test tells me he's too slow).
Yep, Sturt and Schultz basically play the same role. Perhaps its Schultz plays the role that Sturt would play if he was available. I thought it interesting earlier in the season when Schultz went out with concussion Sturt came straight in off limited prep. Schultz was available a week later and Sturt went back to Peel for some more match preparation. If they both can complete a full pre-seasons, Sturt would get picked first. But Schultz has the advantage in terms of durability.

On some positives, my gawd is Walker exciting to watch. Dude is going to be close to unbeatable in 1v1s in a couple of years, dude is just incredibly strong. His speed is also something else. There are quicker players in our team, yet alone the rest of the competition but he seems to be able to use it as well as anyone where he can get to 4th gear off two steps then if some numpty comes near him, he casually rolls into 5th gear and burns them. That run he had out of backline was awesome.

I agree with others that Cerra uncharacteristically poor with disposal early but turned it around to have his best game to date, some more of that before the end of the year thanks Cez.

Meek is an anomaly for a ruckman, he's really really good off the ground and following up his work but his aerial stuff leaves a bit to be desired though his tapwork was exceptional in parts. As good a back-up ruck you can hope to have and hopefully we can keep him around

Sean Darcy going around on one knee was still our most dangerous forward, I'll leave it at that when talking about the rest of forwards...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back