List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently saints are looking at getting into the second round with multiple picks. Would look at dogs first round pick as they need points for Darcy.

There is a raft of very good midfielder types. Hoping we can pick up another Dal Santo, Montanga types with late first and second round picks.

NGA prospects in Windhager, Owens looking good with mid to late picks (Outside top 40). Peris more rookie pick.
But how are we getting into the second round? Trading out players? Who? Because I don’t think our free agents will get us into the second round

2 of Billings, Dunstan, Ross as free agents
Or trade 1 future first round pick for 2 picks in the 2nd round.
The Cal Twomey report early this week, sounds like both Billings and Ross have started negotiations on new contracts.

And you would have to be extremely confident on this years draft to be trading a first round pick for 2 picks in what would be the 20s and 30s.

Not gonna happen with those guys. Billing’s will stay and I reckon we will get the other two done as well unless dunny gets offered three years somewhere else. But won’t get us a second round pick. Saints don’t have a good history of trying to load up with picks. I still feel sick about the Stanley and big boy trades

Just keep 1st round draft picks

Which dead wood are you cutting?
I'm going to forget some here but the usual suspects. I'll back our Recruiters to find better young talent like they have done with Highmore, Connolley, Byrnes.

DELIST
Roberton
Carlisle
McKernan
P. Hunter
Alabakis
Kent

TRADE / FA LOSS
Lonie
Dunstan
Billings

BORDERLINE
Frawley
Joyce
Battle- if the price is right.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm going to forget some here but the usual suspects. I'll back our Recruiters to find better young talent like they have done with Highmore, Connolley, Byrnes.

DELIST
Roberton
Carlisle
McKernan
P. Hunter
Alabakis
Kent

TRADE / FA LOSS
Lonie
Dunstan
Billings

BORDERLINE
Frawley
Joyce

LOL its not getting rid of those players that is difficult, its replacing them with someone better.

DELIST
Roberton
Carlisle
McKernan
P. Hunter
Alabakis
Kent

TRADE / FA LOSS
Lonie
Dunstan
Billings

BORDERLINE
Frawley
Joyce

Yeah looks close to me, but I don't think we can dump both Hunter and McKernan, unless we can find another couple of mature rucks somewhere. Ryder's not getting younger, Marshall's not as durable as he previously looked, and Heath's presumably nowhere near ready. We need to have at least two other big bodied rucks on the list right now imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL its not getting rid of those players that is difficult, its replacing them with someone better.
Other than Billings, Dunstan and Battle, if we can't replace everyone on that list with someone better nearly immediately, we need to replace the list management team. They are all clogging our list and our Cap. They are simply not up to it, or past their best.

Put Hannebury on that list too, pay him out if possible with a deal.

Yeah looks close to me, but I don't think we can dump both Hunter and McKernan, unless we can find another couple of mature rucks somewhere. Ryder's not getting younger, Marshall's not as durable as he previously looked, and Heath's presumably nowhere near ready. We need to have at least two other big bodied rucks on the list right now imo.
I don't disagree with that, but unfortunately P. Hunter is not up to it and neither is McKernan.

There has to be another player on a list somewhere, or in a state league somewhere that is more capable than those two and looking for more opportunity. We should be tempting to someone, the opportunity to learn off Ryder and Marshall alone is huge.

Other than Billings, Dunstan and Battle, if we can't replace everyone on that list with someone better nearly immediately, we need to replace the list management team. They are all clogging our list and our Cap. They are simply not up to it, or past their best.

Hannabury has somewhere stated that he aint going anywhere. .

I don't disagree with that, but unfortunately P. Hunter is not up to it and neither is McKernan.

There has to be another player on a list somewhere, or in a state league somewhere that is more capable than those two and looking for more opportunity. We should be tempting to someone, the opportunity to learn off Ryder and Marshall alone is huge.

Fingers crossed! Problem imo is Hunter was going good in the SANFL and he’s 3rd in the VFL for hitouts per game, so he’s good standard at state league. Presumably most of the others are similar. Not sure it’s easy to get a couple of solid state league rucks!

I reckon we keep Hunter, dump McKernan, grab one other.

You're being incredibly short sighted though. If Carlisle, Geary, frawley, Kent and lonie agree to minimal contracts then I have no problem keeping them on as "break glass in case of emergency" players. All have shown AFL standard and will also teach the youngsters in the 2s how to play and prepare for game days.

It's all about building depth. You don't win a flag with a best 22...you win one with the best 30 that leaves your best 22, 4 emergencies, 6 depth and the 1st and second year players learning to be a core member of the team.

If we don't have those depth leaders there, then it's up to the sandy players to teach them....and that's worked out wonderfully well so far, hasn't it

You're being incredibly short sighted though. If Carlisle, Geary, frawley, Kent and lonie agree to minimal contracts then I have no problem keeping them on as "break glass in case of emergency" players. All have shown AFL standard and will also teach the youngsters in the 2s how to play and prepare for game days.

It's all about building depth. You don't win a flag with a best 22...you win one with the best 30 that leaves your best 22, 4 emergencies, 6 depth and the 1st and second year players learning to be a core member of the team.

If we don't have those depth leaders there, then it's up to the sandy players to teach them....and that's worked out wonderfully well so far, hasn't it
I don't disagree with that, I've put about a dozen names on that list and in no way do I think in reality that they would all go in one hit. I would be happy with 7+ out the door.

The youth coming through our list needs to be our depth, Byrnes and Connolley are the latest examples of this. Paton another one beforehand. I would back our team to keep finding a few talented youngsters to add to our depth.

Carlisle is 100% done.

Chip would be a waste of a list spot... looks like his body just can't hold up anymore

Kent is ok for depth but at minimum chips.

LoneDog the same.

I reckon Gears will go on. Impact injuries you can't avoid being his issue.

McKernan- gone

Hunter- gone if we can find a better option.

Robbo- Already gone.

The class is in the first round, trading them away is madness.

When we were bleeding players in the 2010's , with good players retiring quicker than we could replace them , it kind of made sense to get as many new players in as we can.
Now we have a team of GOP's there seems little point of getting more.
Hit the draft , don't try to be too clever, draft the best players we can.

Surely this year is the perfect sh*t show of being underprepared, injury ravaged, complacent and poorly coached that results in a fortunate/lucky Top 10 pick.

Come on in Sonsie.

Cut the dead wood.
Replace the coaches.
Get some forwardline structure.
Top 10 mid.
Bing 2022.
Away we go.

Sonsie is apparently falling our way aswell.
It would be a nice year to have one more first - to catch someone like Gibcus or the best pure midfielder available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back