Roast Vent Here

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that tackling hasn't been addressed is a ******* joke. I am waiting for someone to ask JLo in a presser or interview why he doesn't give a fu** about it but it just isn't happening.
I have been waiting for the last two weeks for one of the journos to actually ask a decent question, i.e. why are you 18th for tackiing in the comp? How can you have 2 tackles in your forward 50 for a game and why do you persist with a zone when the other teams consistently take it from back to forward without you touching it yet today 6 of the 9 questions were about injured players.

Fans saying Ross would be better off at staying instead needs a reality check.
This is the list JLo inherited. It’s not good enough for finals. Spuds everywhere. The fact we’re competitive in all games bar Geelong is a sign the club can go somewhere. But the problems yet again the list management. We can’t even have two or three injuries and the teams a joke. The best team have depth outside of the 22 each season
Ross was sacked for not making finals with a younger version of this list, the bar is set and the clock is ticking

Ross was sacked for not making finals with a younger version of this list, the bar is set and the clock is ticking
And an extra two years of mediocrity, Brownlow Fyfe, AA Walters and the not fat version of Brad Hill. The list is in a pretty similar spot all things considered because the gains in the kids have been offset by the fall in performance of the older players. Good thing is that there is a lot more growth in the young list then there is loss from the older players but we still have a lot of holes to fill in the forwardline in particular

Fans saying Ross would be better off at staying instead needs a reality check.
This is the list JLo inherited. It’s not good enough for finals. Spuds everywhere. The fact we’re competitive in all games bar Geelong is a sign the club can go somewhere. But the problems yet again the list management. We can’t even have two or three injuries and the teams a joke. The best team have depth outside of the 22 each season

Really?
We’ve been uncompetitive vs Carlton Round 3, Eagles, Brisbane, Port and Geelong.

The team is in no better shape, and no closer to taking the next step than they were this time last year, 2019 or 2018.

For every promising young player who starts coming along (Darcy) another one leaves (Neale-Langdon-Cerra?). We unearth some new young guns, and some older stars retire or lose form. By the time Serong etc take the next step, Mundy Fyfe Walters will be closer to the end and having less of an impact.
And then you have the revolving door of C Graders like Banfield Shultz and Colyer whose odd good games keep them in the side and keep our ceiling firmly set at the middle of the table.

We’re stuck in a rebuilding cycle constantly taking one step forward then one back, or just stepping sideways, I don’t think we’re making any genuine progress. We’re just a very disappointing team and continue to be.

And here we go again

Poor results to finish the year

Pressure mounts on the people in charge

Stupid shortsighted decisions get made by campaigners desperate to save their jobs

Start next season full of vigour

Shortsighted decisions rear their ugly head

Season descends down the toilet

Old regime sacked

New regime brought in to much fan optimism

And round and round we go

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
We're just a couple of wildly overpriced flanker signings away from being Carlton. Also need more number 1 picks.

Putting this here because it is my favourite vent topic...

Does anyone know of there is a way of contacting the club with honest feedback? I really would like to ask the club what the story with our tackling is. It’s atrocious and so far below professional standard that I’m not sure how it is going to improve quickly. Techniques are horrible and players don’t get into the right defensive positions at stoppages, we don’t protect space around the ball and the oppo just work it to the outside time and time again. We could kick at 85% and have the best defensive game plan ever invented but if we don’t learn to tackle properly we won’t ever get close to winning a final.

In 25 years we have had 3 players kick more than 50 goals in a season.
Let that sink in . The drafting and development of key forwards has been a festering sore for all of our history .
The panic of finding any WA forward and paying overs gets old.
Kersten - fail
McCarthy - overwhelming fail
Matera- started good then fail
Gumbleton- yikes
Hogan- absolute disaster. Cost us the pick nabbed King.

Others such as Tarrant, Croad, Anthony.

Just disaster planning. One of these days drafting a normal forward would be terrific.

People seem to be overlooking the grand final appearance. Like making a grand final is true mediocrity right? This isn't Freo pre-Harvey. Different beast.

And we lost the GF because of poor kicking for goal and lack of a decent tall forward to help out Pav. Why Freo persist with idea that you can turn a C grade mid into an A grade forward is beyond me.

And we lost the GF because of poor kicking for goal and lack of a decent tall forward to help out Pav. Why Freo persist with idea that you can turn a C grade mid into an A grade forward is beyond me.
Firstly thats not what I said. Secondly the errant kicking was at least in part Nat Fyfes issue. A grand final team is not, by definition "mediocre". Fremantle pre and post Harvey are different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting this here because it is my favourite vent topic...

Does anyone know of there is a way of contacting the club with honest feedback? I really would like to ask the club what the story with our tackling is. It’s atrocious and so far below professional standard that I’m not sure how it is going to improve quickly. Techniques are horrible and players don’t get into the right defensive positions at stoppages, we don’t protect space around the ball and the oppo just work it to the outside time and time again. We could kick at 85% and have the best defensive game plan ever invented but if we don’t learn to tackle properly we won’t ever get close to winning a final.
I realised watching the game on the weekend that I'm actually shocked when we stick a tackle and lock it in. It happened like 3 times and I was "wow, we locked it in"

Our tackling for whatever is reason is absolutely horrific

I realised watching the game on the weekend that I'm actually shocked when we stick a tackle and lock it in. It happened like 3 times and I was "wow, we locked it in"

Our tackling for whatever is reason is absolutely horrific
Yeah it is beyond a joke. I’m surprised it’s not a bigger talking point. To me it is issue number 1, 2 and 3 with our performances. Must be addressed as a matter or urgency yet Longmuir barely gets asked about it.

It's become embarrassing the lack of a decent game plan/or effort.
It hasn't changed since Ross Lyons later years.
Fair enough you can't kick a footy but surely you can chase & apply a tackle.
Show some spunk ya weak campaigners.

It's become embarrassing the lack of a decent game plan/or effort.
It hasn't changed since Ross Lyons later years.
Fair enough you can't kick a footy but surely you can chase & apply a tackle.
Show some spunk ya weak campaigners.
Dont agree on the gameplan, I like the gameplan where we are looking to hit players up and go through the corridor as much as possible and avoid long bombs but the tackling is a massive concern

Yeah it is beyond a joke. I’m surprised it’s not a bigger talking point. To me it is issue number 1, 2 and 3 with our performances. Must be addressed as a matter or urgency yet Longmuir barely gets asked about it.
Yeah, the tackling is greatest issue IMO because it has to be a directive to hold space rather than commit to the tackle and I want to know why. Every team that has won a final (yet alone a GF) for the last 20 years has won it in no small part due to pressure and tackling like madmen. Just thinking back to 2013 against Sydney give me goosebumps where Sydney couldnt take a breath without getting shat on by multiple Freo players, we were rabid. Whatever the * we are doing with pressure isnt going to take us anywhere

Game style has changed for the better since Lyon.

Our intensity has gone backwards though.

Need a Pyke or Choco type in the box. Maybe even Woosha..as assistants.

Actually starting to hate the AFL, the defensive tactics have got to me I think. Coaches wanting to stop goals more than score goals, there are about 5-6 genuine game winners in the entire comp. The product is ****ed when after each game the fans lament the forwards lack of defensive efforts.

Yeah, the tackling is greatest issue IMO because it has to be a directive to hold space rather than commit to the tackle and I want to know why. Every team that has won a final (yet alone a GF) for the last 20 years has won it in no small part due to pressure and tackling like madmen. Just thinking back to 2013 against Sydney give me goosebumps where Sydney couldnt take a breath without getting shat on by multiple Freo players, we were rabid. Whatever the fu** we are doing with pressure isnt going to take us anywhere
We averaged 65 tackles per game in 2013. This year we average a tad under 45 and 17 less than Melbourne. Our forwards are the biggest culprits. They have no spatial awareness at all as highlighted by the constant getting mowed down by a tackler 15m out in space. I'm looking at you Taberner, Schultz, Henry etc. At least Henry can tackle a bit, he just needs to put on some bulk. 2 tackles I50 for an entire game is an indictment on the lot of them though . Surely we could muster up more than 2 I50 tackles from forward 50 stoppages alone?

Our forward line is currently a joke. The opposition must love it when we go forward because it presents a gilt edged opportunity to walk it back down the other end and kick a goal out the back. Treacy will carve out a career on effort alone but he's going to be more Chris Maye than Matthew Pavlich. As for the rest of the forwards: Lobb could be the next Paul Salmon if he had the hunger to be The Man but I'm not convinced he wants the ball in his hand when the game needs a hero. Henry is a work in progress. Sturt could be anything but he looks pretty injury cursed. Schultz, Crowden, Banfield are all plodders that should be tackling like their careers depend on it because ultimately they are all delist material at this point. Switta has more upside than the lot of them when it comes to small forwards. He gives great effort and he has the attributes to pinch hit in the midfield later in his career. Tabs is what he is, he's hit his ceiling and gotten spades out of his limited footy IQ and kudos to him for that. Walters' best is behind him. Freddy has been a revelation and to me he's first picked HFF when fit. Colyer is playing well but he's just keeping someone's seat warm, hopefully Motlop's. All in all its a truly uninspiring forward group.

We averaged 65 tackles per game in 2013. This year we average a tad under 45 and 17 less than Melbourne. Our forwards are the biggest culprits. They have no spatial awareness at all as highlighted by the constant getting mowed down by a tackler 15m out in space. I'm looking at you Taberner, Schultz, Henry etc. At least Henry can tackle a bit, he just needs to put on some bulk. 2 tackles I50 for an entire game is an indictment on the lot of them though . Surely we could muster up more than 2 I50 tackles from forward 50 stoppages alone?

Our forward line is currently a joke. The opposition must love it when we go forward because it presents a gilt edged opportunity to walk it back down the other end and kick a goal out the back. Treacy will carve out a career on effort alone but he's going to be more Chris Maye than Matthew Pavlich. As for the rest of the forwards: Lobb could be the next Paul Salmon if he had the hunger to be The Man but I'm not convinced he wants the ball in his hand when the game needs a hero. Henry is a work in progress. Sturt could be anything but he looks pretty injury cursed. Schultz, Crowden, Banfield are all plodders that should be tackling like their careers depend on it because ultimately they are all delist material at this point. Switta has more upside than the lot of them when it comes to small forwards. He gives great effort and he has the attributes to pinch hit in the midfield later in his career. Tabs is what he is, he's hit his ceiling and gotten spades out of his limited footy IQ and kudos to him for that. Walters' best is behind him. Freddy has been a revelation and to me he's first picked HFF when fit. Colyer is playing well but he's just keeping someone's seat warm, hopefully Motlop's. All in all its a truly uninspiring forward group.
The last two weeks the first thing I do after a South's game is look at Motlop's tackle stats, I almost care more about that than his goals kicked. 2 last week and 4 this week have me pretty happy

When you've got Top 10 draft picks that can't kick to a target over 20m(Logue),
and you have seasoned players dropping marks (Tucker) with no pressure, I would say our skills are no better than when Ross was the coach.
That was one of the main reasons he got turfed, so until this part of the game gets better at the Dockers, we are pissing in the wind

Get Ryan Daniels to ask Longmuir, he'll do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back