List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Green’s form is making it near impossible to get any sort of deal done while under contract. When he was dropped a few weeks ago I thought ok that could work in our favour. GWS have multiple young inside bulls if we offer a combination of player/s picks maybe we can get it done.
But not only is he a gun but a future leader. Exactly the type we need Now. And exactly the type GWS will be desperate to keep

GWS's problem is that they have too many players on BIG long term contracts, plus they have the Pies potential No. 1 pick for a super star. They will have to let good players go. Green is an obvious one to lose as they get good return and it frees up their salary for years.

They have paid $1m-ish to too many players and that causes them major issues. Hopefully we can get something done.

Who is the etc?

Again this will likely lead to several seasons of mid table rather than a realistic shot at the flag.

Which hurts as you don't challenge and don't get premium draft picks

If they club wanted to top up to pinch another 1 or 2 in this window I wouldn't be shocked
Rioli, Baker, Mansell, Nank with Balta and Bolton are the core of our next wave that we need to be building around

We won’t be a realistic shot at the flag next year with one or two 30 year old Mids, especially with rumours of Astbury, Houli and Cotch hanging up the boots at the end of the year

Jack will continue to be inconsistent, Edwards slowing down, Grimes getting old and even Dusty needing to be played more conservatively as he also gets older

If we can load up on mids that are ready to contribute, get a healthy list again, we can 100% challenge again next year.

Our back 6 when all available is still solid
Fix our midfield problem
The above then fixes the forward line with Dusty and Edwards spending their twilight years kicking snags

Rioli, Baker, Mansell, Nank with Balta and Bolton are the core of our next wave that we need to be building around

We won’t be a realistic shot at the flag next year with one or two 30 year old Mids, especially with rumours of Astbury, Houli and Cotch hanging up the boots at the end of the year

Jack will continue to be inconsistent, Edwards slowing down, Grimes getting old and even Dusty needing to be played more conservatively as he also gets older

That's. Pretty unimpressive young core compared to most teams.

It's be great to challenge in 5 years but it's looking a long shot ATM.

Geelong are favorites or there abouts with an old team and mid group.

That's. Pretty unimpressive young core compared to most teams.

It's be great to challenge in 5 years but it's looking a long shot ATM.

Geelong are favorites or there abouts with an old team and mid group.
Exactly so we need to be looking at improving that core now, not in 2 years time because we have sold all of our draft picks for the next two years on 30 year olds

Setset ourselves up for another 4 year window right now, like Sydney have done by injecting young guns to complement the guys we have now and also carry us into the future

Not go all in on next year and stare down the barrel of a 10 year rebuild when in two years time we lose Fyfe and Sloane types who would be just also stealing development off younger guys who will be there after they are gone

Exactly so we need to be looking at improving that core now, not in 2 years time because we have sold all of our draft picks for the next two years on 30 year olds

Setset ourselves up for another 4 year window right now, like Sydney have done by injecting young guns to complement the guys we have now and also carry us into the future

Not go all in on next year and stare down the barrel of a 10 year rebuild when in two years time we lose Fyfe and Sloane types who would be just also stealing development off younger guys who will be there after they are gone

Dunno if we are going to rebuild anything like swans without access to academy picks

Dunno if we are going to rebuild anything like swans without access to academy picks
Academy picks haven’t made that much of a difference sure they help but aren’t everything they are made out to be
Otherwise Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney would play in the grand final every single year
It’s a lazy excuse for teams that have just recruited and developed poorly

Personally not concerned about Edwards. He has been absolutely wrecked this season with his ankle, should never have come back after the injury, should have had surgery on it and done the 8-12 weeks rehab. Put his hand up to play cause he's a legend. Prior to the injury he had been decent enough without being his best, but barely had his full midfield around him all year.

I'm of the belief we'll be okay next season with our best side and a refreshed midfield.

Broad, Balta, Vlastuin
Short, Grimes, Stack
McIntosh, Cotchin, Lambert
Martin, Riewoldt, Bolton
Rioli, Lynch, Rioli
Nankervis, Prestia, Graham
Soldo, Edwards, NEW MID, NEW MID

I'd personally be trading CCJ to get a solid young defender from Gold Coast if we can, can't really rely on Stack getting back to his best so someone like a Ballard there would be great.

Academy picks haven’t made that much of a difference sure they help but aren’t everything they are made out to be
Otherwise Gold Coast, GWS and Sydney would play in the grand final every single year
It’s a lazy excuse for teams that have just recruited and developed poorly

Yeah not sure About that.

Look at the influence academy players had in the round 3 game vs the tigers.

It's be nice to rebuild like the swans but you might want to find a different pathway

Yeah not sure About that.

Look at the influence academy players had in the round 3 game vs the tigers.

It's be nice to rebuild like the swans but you might want to find a different pathway
We could do the same if we hit the draft hard this year, combine some of our later firsts and early 2nds along with picks we get for potential outs like CCJ we could easily be looking at multiple top 10 picks instead of using those picks for trading in guys like Fyfe and Sloane
That’s the crossroads we are at

We could do the same if we hit the draft hard this year, combine some of our later firsts and early 2nds along with picks we get for potential outs like CCJ we could easily be looking at multiple top 10 picks instead of using those picks for trading in guys like Fyfe and Sloane
That’s the crossroads we are at

We can't draft say Logan McDonald and then braeden Campbell due to the academy rules.

It's a significant advantage even if you claim it's a Richmond excuse

I'd very much like Richmond to win a couple flags in 4/5 years but I doubt following the swans path with have similar results

We can't draft say Logan McDonald and then braeden Campbell due to the academy rules.

It's a significant advantage even if you claim it's a Richmond excuse

I'd very much like Richmond to win a couple flags in 4/5 years but I doubt following the swans path with have similar results
But we could have multiple top 10 picks that is essentially the same thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS's problem is that they have too many players on BIG long term contracts, plus they have the Pies potential No. 1 pick for a super star. They will have to let good players go. Green is an obvious one to lose as they get good return and it frees up their salary for years.

They have paid $1m-ish to too many players and that causes them major issues. Hopefully we can get something done.
I reckon their preference would be to keep Green over Hopper and Taranto.
Green is only in his 2nd year after signing an extension last year so isn’t on the same sort of coin as Taranto (Hopper in negotiations).

Also Green is already producing match winning performances I can think of 3 off the top of my head. Has more upside than Taranto or Hopper ( who are both very good mids).

The only thing that might possibly make them trade him is if he told GWS he wanted out and demanded a trade to us. Haven’t heard/ read anything to suggest that ( a loose connection from Carro).

Here's a wild trade scenario.

We trade Caddy, Prestia and Lynch to Melbourne for Melbourne's first round picks in 2021 and 2022 plus extras and we help pay their salaries.

Who would we want back in return to help salaries player wise??

Presita used to go for Melbourne and some say Melbourne lack in the forward line.

I would do that for Oliver to come to Tigerland

Here's a wild trade scenario.

We trade Caddy, Prestia and Lynch to Melbourne for Melbourne's first round picks in 2021 and 2022 plus extras and we help pay their salaries.

Who would we want back in return to help salaries player wise??

Presita used to go for Melbourne and some say Melbourne lack in the forward line.

I would do that for Oliver to come to Tigerland
Definitely one of your worst suggestions mate
I don’t even know how you think the club comes out in a better position after it

Definitely one of your worst suggestions mate
I don’t even know how you think the club comes out in a better position after it

I would pay 400K of Lynch's salary each year and still do it if we got Oliver and the picks and the players wanted to have a crack for it elsewhere in the next few years

I didn't even think about it until some commentators reckon Melbournes weakness was in the key position forward stocks over the weekend as Weiderman, McDonald, and Brown where letting them down

I would pay 400K of Lynch's salary each year and still do it if we got Oliver and the picks
What would getting Oliver achieve? If we don’t have a key forward to kick it to? And we trade out our best mid in the 25 - 30 age bracket?

and what?
Two high teens draft picks?
It literally makes our list worse by trading out two of our best players in the positions they play
And you still want us to pay salary?

Like seriously you gotta be trolling

What would getting Oliver achieve? If we don’t have a key forward to kick it to? And we trade out our best mid in the 25 - 30 age bracket?

and what?
Two high teens draft picks?
It literally makes our list worse by trading out two of our best players in the positions they play
And you still want us to pay salary?

Like seriously you gotta be trolling

For starters we are stronger in the middle with Oliver, gives more opportunity to Graham, Bolton and others like Edwards and co, Dusty can play more forward, CCJ has more opportunity with JR. RCD and others like Ross get a better run at it. Cotch's load gets reduced to

I think it makes sense to be honest and we can ramp up opportunities for our next flag threats.

If you can't kick it to JR, CCJ and Dusty as well as Bolton, you can't kick!!

Four years ago we were kicking it to JR and Townsend!!

Helps Dusty play for RFC at 40 to if he's good enough up forward because he is resting more forward with a Oliver chop out

I was listening to David King talk about Dimma avoiding a Clarko scenario on First Crack and moving to another club like European sides getting into windows. He is talking right now, "can we have a philosophical discussion"

Well RFC could easily slip into another window by moving a few players around and shifting the timing on things and Melbourne will be desperate next year if they miss out this year.

I have no problem helping Melbourne win a premiership in 2022 if its helps RFC win a few premierships after that

Last edited:

Academy players a good if they are top 20 quality but they are no better than other top 20 kids
If we can trade our last 3 picks 29/42/47 to Doggies (1400 points) for their 1st round pick which will be around (1000) points
we will have 3 picks inside 20 and another inside 25

4 picks inside 25 is a bloody good start

I'd personally be trading CCJ to get a solid young defender from Gold Coast if we can, can't really rely on Stack getting back to his best so someone like a Ballard there would be great.

That would be impossible as they are also looking for Defenders and wont allow a good one to leave

Player i would be targeting is Hollands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back