Coach Clarkson has left the building

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, although 'big coin' is debatable - but I'll see your Vickery, Scully and Patton and raise you Guerra, Gilham, Croad, Dew, Hale, Gibson, Burgoyne, Lake, Frawley, McEvoy and Mitchell....

Vickery - drafted as fill-in/replacement for Roughy who was fighting cancer. Probably should of paid the club for wasting our time, so in terms of 'big coin' being 'any coin', I agree...

Scully - his busted ankle/s were not expected to ever fully recover and GWS just wanted to get the highest paid player they had at the time off their books. Also wanting to return to Vic, I'd be shocked if we paid him more than 500k and some petrol vouchers.

Patton - unloaded by GWS (along with about 4 others) to help relive their TPP. Highly unlikely GWS and/or Patton were in any position to demand 'big coin' - but given he was obviously made of glass and did little when he was fit enough to actually play, see Vickery.
Considering the average AFL player makes around $260k a year I think a player making $500k a year fits the definition of big coin.

For instance some of best most consistent performers this year such as CJ, Scrimmers, Impey etc are probably only on $150 to $400k.

Compare their output to Patton, Sculley and Vickery (dear god Vickery) and on a pure output per $ spent each was a massive fail.

Considering the average AFL player makes around $260k a year I think a player making $500k a year fits the definition of big coin.

For instance some of best most consistent performers this year such as CJ, Scrimmers, Impey etc are probably only on $150 to $400k.

Compare their output to Patton, Sculley and Vickery (dear god Vickery) and on a pure output per $ spent each was a massive fail.
Vickery and Patton were on about $300k from memory. Can’t remember Scully but don’t think it was more than that. That’s not massive coin in footy terms and didn’t hurt us with the cap.

Vickery and Patton were on about $300k from memory. Can’t remember Scully but don’t think it was more than that. That’s not massive coin in footy terms and didn’t hurt us with the cap.

You maybe right but I'm pretty sure both flops were on around $380k. Scully was around $500k I know, which was less than half of what GWS initially signed him on for 6/7 years prior, when he was one of the highest paid players in the league...

You maybe right but I'm pretty sure both flops were on around $380k. Scully was around $500k I know, which was less than half of what GWS initially signed him on for 6/7 years prior, when he was one of the highest paid players in the league...
Pretty sure Vickery was on close to $500k

They don't publish AFL player salaries but seem to recall that was the figure being reported at the time.

We had just lost Cegs to a knee, literally a few weeks earlier.
Vickery was insurance and was the best available option at the time.
We only had BB and Fitzpatrick as our rucks.
What else was the club to do?

And no idea if Roughead was coming back

Like I said pick up a decent ruck from the VFL / SANFL / WAFL for less than half the price and twice the output.

The tiges couldn't wait to get rid of him, surely that must have sent alarm bells in our recruiting department considering he was only 26 when we recruited him

Anyway what's done is done but I just can't see how anyone can justify paying a massive (and I mean massive) hack like Vickery a million dollars anything other than a fail.

And let's not forget the whole Jake the push up king's acting as Tyrone's stand over man to get cash back from his dodgy business partner!

I don't mind Caro, but she's embarrassed herself on this Clarko/Sam/Jeff and her double/tripling down is getting to cringe levels now.

Tonight on FC was poor.

What was the line? "I neither back away, nor do I wish to clarify what I said!"

A lot of "I think", but very light on facts.

Last edited:
I don't mind Caro, but she's embarrassed herself on this Clarko/Sam/Jeff and her double/tripling down is getting to cringe levels now.

Tonight on FC was poor.

What was the line? "I neither back away, nor do I wish to clarify what I said!"

A lot of "I think", but very light on facts.

It's primarily simply the fact she's being paid to be a 'shock jock' in an industry she's been out-of-touch with for years, which has become more apparent recently with her attempts to double-down defending her 'sources/intel' who are perhaps (or not) unintentionally making her look like a complete idiot..!

I think it's actually quite sad to witness such a former highly respected footy scribe struggling to remain relevant...

Last edited:

Tyrone got two years at the Hawks for a cool million

Anyone who says that was a good deal for the Hawks.....

We could have paid a half decent VFL ruckman minimum wage and got better output than we did out of that spud
Yes but if you recall, we did something sneaky where it was meant to be a mil over three years but we condensed the payments to be over 2 so Richmond wouldn’t match and got a higher compensation pick.

Which netted them Shai Bolton..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This Kane Cornes? He’s only saying burton is playing ‘incredible’ to trigger hawks fans. If he was describing burton direct, it would be different

Exclusive
So called Mr H seen moaning and groaning in Melbourne alley way in the early hours.
Sources report was in a heated argument with a female hurling abuse and ended with a swift kick to the nuts before storming off.
Sources say it looked like caro but was to dark to be sure.

"WHY HAWTHORN MUST SEPARATE ALASTAIR CLARKSON FROM THEIR LIST MANAGEMENT"

Kane's headline, well I'll say it and totally agree with this.

Alternate headline:

"I'M WRITING IN CAPITALS ABOUT SOMETHING THAT ALREADY HAPPENED AND WHICH I CLAIMED JUST LAST WEEK WAS UNWORKABLE"

I mean I laugh when people, in particular Cornes say that it's hurt us getting guys like Patton, Scully cause we didn't go to the draft, when they were traded for future 4th round picks. Hardly that damaging.

Clearly if we hadn't drafted Patton we would have taken Noah Anderson.... :drunk:

Yes but if you recall, we did something sneaky where it was meant to be a mil over three years but we condensed the payments to be over 2 so Richmond wouldn’t match and got a higher compensation pick.

Which netted them Shai Bolton..
Yes but a million over two years is 500k a year no matter which way you look at it

Which is an insane amount of money to have paid a spud like Vickery.

Bloody hell Shai Bolton, the tiges made out like bandits in that trade!

Nup, she's lost it.
  • Discredited Kennett's view on the basis that he wasn't at the meeting, but maintains her own view, despite also not being at the meeting.
  • Is suggesting that the mood around these decisions is changing week to week based on our onfield performances, even though the board does annual and mid-year reviews every year (not weekly - FFS)
  • Refused to clarify her condescending warning to Sam Mitchell, maintaining her strange B grade thug persona on this issue "I think it's self explanatory" "Things were said". What things. By who. In what context. Without that - it's not even gossip, just innuendo.
  • Has changed her position that Clarko won't be there next year even though it was her leading edge of this story when she went with it.
Sorry Caro - you've lost me.

I mean I laugh when people, in particular Cornes say that it's hurt us getting guys like Patton, Scully cause we didn't go to the draft, when they were traded for future 4th round picks. Hardly that damaging.
He was outraged about both of those pickups.
I believe he called for an investigation when we got Scully.
Ah yes, here's the article.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back