Opinion Matthew Nicks: Adelaide's Coach

Is Matthew Nicks the right coach for Adelaide's rebuild?

• Firmly yes (I love what I'm seeing)

• Leaning yes

• Can't decide either way

• Leaning no (but don't sack him yet)

• Firmly no (he should be sacked)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. Nicks is legitimately incompetent. Playing Mackay is a sure fire way to finish lower but so is playing the kids and only one of those two things expedites our rebuild.
A bit harsh but football is results driven. If it was another sport he would have gone a while back. Closing in on his second season , one would like to see improvement. Some good signs there early in the season but that has all been snuffed out. The coach has to take responsibility.

If we win the wooden spoon this year, should Nick's survive?

Id accept a wooden spoon depending on the potential and progress.weve shown. In a year when Nick's favoured the mature senior players and ends up with the spoon, I'm not so forgiving.

So for me, if we get the spoon, Nick's should go.

What do others say?

If we don’t get the spoon he should go

Well Done Nicks

Prioritise wins, build a winning culture and winning habits

Not to many number 1 picks are redrafted at 1 in a mock draft 10 years later, and there are several number 1 picks who have never played in flags

There is so much value that comes from wins especially with a young group, and we will still bring in an ACE with a top 5 pick

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well Done Nicks

Prioritise wins, build a winning culture and winning habits

Not to many number 1 picks are redrafted at 1 in a mock draft 10 years later, and there are several number 1 picks who have never played in flags

There is so much value that comes from wins especially with a young group, and we will still bring in an ACE with a top 5 pick

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

FFS TSR,

why stop there, why not just advocate making the finals and anything can happen?

One thing I have noticed that has changed in the past 2-3 weeks is some of our rebound out of D50.

Schoenberg had 10 in the 1st 16 games this year.
He's had 5 & 6 in the past 2 weeks. At 5.5 average sits only behind Smith.
Jones is averaging 5 for the past 3 weeks.

Hopefully this is something he has identified vs just happening.

1627189069904.png

One thing I have noticed that has changed in the past 2-3 weeks is some of our rebound out of D50.

Schoenberg had 10 in the 1st 16 games this year.
He's had 5 & 6 in the past 2 weeks. At 5.5 average sits only behind Smith.
Jones is averaging 5 for the past 3 weeks.

Hopefully this is something he has identified vs just happening.

View attachment 1186424
I think he's just spending less time at half forward the last few weeks (thank god)

For anyone who had any doubts about Nicks needs to listen to his pregame address of the lads. This is the arguably the greatest thing I have ever heard a coach of Adelaide say. This video has completely and unequivocally strengthened my faith that this man is the right person for the job. It gave goosebumps

For anyone who had any doubts about Nicks needs to listen to his pregame address of the lads. This is the arguably the greatest thing I have ever heard a coach of Adelaide say. This video has completely and unequivocally strengthened my faith that this man is the right person for the job. It gave goosebumps

Pre-game address is but one component of the package that makes up an AFL coach. The result of this address was that we beat 17th on the ladder, any idea why the club hasn't posted these goose bump addresses in the past? To be honest, it would need to be pretty good to reverse the kitchy jokes and gags we see them play. Everything you see is stage managed to within an inch of its life. Nothing is off the cuff.

Its baffling that Nicks is being shat on for daring to want to build a winning culture. That people are actually pissed that we aren't trying to tank.

No draft prospect is worth sabotaging building a winning mindset, plenty of top picks don't become the next messiah that most convince themselves that they'll become pre-draft. Carlton are a golden example that stockpiling high draft picks by being perpetually s**t doesn't equal success. We'll still get a top 5 or there abouts pick who should still be a very good prospect. In fact it's very rare for the guy everyone rated number 1 pre-draft to still be rated there even 2 years later.

Its baffling that Nicks is being shat on for daring to want to build a winning culture. That people are actually pissed that we aren't trying to tank.

No draft prospect is worth sabotaging building a winning mindset, plenty of top picks don't become the next messiah that most convince themselves that they'll become pre-draft. Carlton are a golden example that stockpiling high draft picks by being perpetually sh*t doesn't equal success. We'll still get a top 5 or there abouts pick who should still be a very good prospect. In fact it's very rare for the guy everyone rated number 1 pre-draft to still be rated there even 2 years later.
I think there is a right way and wrong way to tank. Given our ladder position, stage of rebuild etc. I think it's fair to want honorable losses so we can maximise our hand at the draft. You know the kind of game where the team plays reasonably well but still falls short. I would have been fine if we'd lost to Hawthorn on the weekend because I'd seen enough good form in the game to walk away feeling encouraged. If we had been getting done by 100 points, I would be concerned about it from a team psychology point of view.

I think there is a right way and wrong way to tank. Given our ladder position, stage of rebuild etc. I think it's fair to want honorable losses so we can maximise our hand at the draft. You know the kind of game where the team plays reasonably well but still falls short. I would have been fine if we'd lost to Hawthorn on the weekend because I'd seen enough good form in the game to walk away feeling encouraged. If we had been getting done by 100 points, I would be concerned about it from a team psychology point of view.
I agree that I wouldn't have been disappointed by a close loss for that very reason. But I'm not going to throw the toys out of the pram because it didn't happen, a good performance and the young guys getting another taste of victory can't ever be a bad thing.

The fact is we're highly unlikely to win any of our next 3 and even if we beat North, we're still unlikely to rise above 14th as you'd think our awful percentage would prevent it.

What about the supporters that don’t live in SA?
Do they not matter?
He completely left them out 😆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No draft prospect is worth sabotaging building a winning mindset, plenty of top picks don't become the next messiah that most convince themselves that they'll become pre-draft. Carlton are a golden example that stockpiling high draft picks by being perpetually sh*t doesn't equal success. We'll still get a top 5 or there abouts pick who should still be a very good prospect. In fact it's very rare for the guy everyone rated number 1 pre-draft to still be rated there even 2 years later.

Richmond finished bottom in 2007, guess what 3x premiership captain they ended up with?

Richmond finished bottom in 2007, guess what 3x premiership captain they ended up with?
Kreuzer was pick 1 in 2007, Cotchin was pick 2. If anything that just proves my point, pick 1 isn't the be all, end all.

McEvoy went pick 9, Danger 10, Rioli 12, Taylor 17, Rance 18.

How does the record look the last 15 years for pick 1s after removing those destroyed by the 2 active tanking clubs in Melbourne and Carlton? GWS screwed a couple too from memory.

There haven't been too many pick 1s not go to an absolute basket case of a club.

How does the record look the last 15 years for pick 1s after removing those destroyed by the 2 active tanking clubs in Melbourne and Carlton? GWS screwed a couple too from memory.
2006 - B. Gibbs (Carl)
2007 - M. Kreuzer (Carl)
2008 - J. Watts (Melb)
2009 - T. Scully (Melb)
2010 - D. Swallow (GC)
2011 - J. Patton (GWS)
2012 - L. Whitfield (GWS)
2013 - T. Boyd (GWS)
2014 - P. McCartin (StK)
2015 - J. Weitering (Carl)
2016 - A. McGrath (Ess)
2017 - C. Rayner (Bris)
2018 - S. Walsh (Carl)
2019 - M. Rowell (GC)
2020 - J. Ugle-Hagen (WB) / R. Thilthorpe (Adel)

There's a fair few flops and just slightly above average players on that list.

Even throughout the 30-year draft history, it's bleak on a team success front. Like you can kiss any hope of winning a premiership in the next decade bleak if you got pick 1 without trading for it unless of course your really a top 4 team who inexplicitly had a bad year (seeing the only team to have won a spoon, then a premiership within a decade is Brisbane). Though of course, had Carlton not got a priority pick in 2007, it would have been a different story*.

In terms of player quality, providing injuries don't get in the way, you're going to get a good player. Heck, even Melbourne and Carlton got good players from that number 1 pick, as much as both clubs pinned their hopes on it being more than.

*This also happened in 2010, seeing West Coast won the spoon, but didn't receive pick 1. They would go on to win a premiership within a decade.

For another fun coincidence, the four teams to have won a premiership after that decade mark of legitimately receiving pick 1 have done so without that pick 1 being a key factor in their side. Sydney moved on Gasper after two years, Fraser was overtaken by Jolly in the early part of 2010, Dogs had traded Cooney and Richmond Delideo. The football gods do not like most pick 1s on a team success front.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back