Traded Adam Cerra traded to Carlton for pick #6 and F3

If he leaves (as widely reported), what will Freo get in return?

• Two good 1st round picks

• Top 10 pick and change

• A 1st & a 2nd

• Later 1st rounder

• Two 2nd rounders

• Early 2nd rounder

• Other 2nd round pick

• Less than a 2nd rounder

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality check: it's Clarko.

If he wants Cerra, he'll make the club hand over the top picks, the same way he did for Wingard, the same way he did for O'Meara.

Absolutely no doubt he still believes in the snap rebuild strategy he initiated in 2016, and still thinks Hawthorn can contend in 2022. I suspect the reason he hung onto the coaching job for 2022 is to have one last crack at making it work, and leaving the club on a positive note.
Clarko being removed from list decisions is part of that revamp. Both him and Wright. Wright acquiesced to Clarko’s want of players.

Now it is the Mitchell and McKenzie show. So a very different team. And all the talk from Mitchell so far has been about more draft picks. Unless hawks manage to get senior players out the door for picks, satisfying what Freo wants for Cerra will be very difficult.

Cerra is good value for a team who doesn’t want to wait for a draft pick to develop, where all hawks have now is time.

Cerra won't land in the PSD, but I hate the fact that this option exists and can be discussed.

There will be a time where we will see a great of the game that does a Jack Martin special, refuses to be traded knowing that they will pick them up in the PSD with either using unreasonable cap space or finishing bottom, so that the new club does not have to use its draft picks and can use them on obtaining quality players or draftees to speed up a rebuild.

For me, if a player on a list is offered a contract by the current club and no trade can be made, they should be forced into the national draft. This way the original club could redraft them like a F/S with a 20% discount or at the very least the new club would be coughing up a decent enough pick.

It would at least prevent a club from being extorted.

Cerra won't land in the PSD, but I hate the fact that this option exists and can be discussed.

There will be a time where we will see a great of the game that does a Jack Martin special, refuses to be traded knowing that they will pick them up in the PSD with either using unreasonable cap space or finishing bottom, so that the new club does not have to use its draft picks and can use them on obtaining quality players or draftees to speed up a rebuild.

For me, if a player on a list is offered a contract by the current club and no trade can be made, they should be forced into the national draft. This way the original club could redraft them like a F/S with a 20% discount or at the very least the new club would be coughing up a decent enough pick.

bit unfair on martin, asked for a trade to Essendon the year before, GC declined, then GC declined Carltons 2nd+3rd, demanding a 1st as they had a huge hand of picks the afl granted them.

PSD is there to protect the players from a Jack Martin special where the suns refused to trade him. It’s already pretty hard to move while in contract Fantasia and Daniher being held for 2 and 1 years respectively.

Last thing the AFL wants is clubs being able to chain players to them. Which would happen if the original club could redraft them cheaply. Though most clubs would avoid redrafting.

The PSD is pretty much never used. And generally it’s due to the club the player is coming from. Now need to worry there for Freo, Cerra will either get traded or stay.

bit unfair on martin, asked for a trade to Essendon the year before, GC declined, then GC declined Carltons 2nd+3rd, demanding a 1st as they had a huge hand of picks the afl granted them.

Yes agree, the wording of that does seem poor (in re-reading it).
However, if you use him as an example Carlton would have had a choice to use either their first or second in the National Draft. If Gold Coast wanted to dig their heals in then they would have had to meet that 20% discount.

PSD is there to protect the players from a Jack Martin special where the suns refused to trade him. It’s already pretty hard to move while in contract Fantasia and Daniher being held for 2 and 1 years respectively.

Last thing the AFL wants is clubs being able to chain players to them. Which would happen if the original club could redraft them cheaply. Though most clubs would avoid redrafting.

The PSD is pretty much never used. And generally it’s due to the club the player is coming from. Now need to worry there for Freo, Cerra will either get traded or stay.
Agreed, it is largely irrelevant in the Cerra case as the deal will get done.

However, if it was forced into the national draft you couldn't redraft them cheaply, you would be forced to bid on what the new club feels fit. Could be pick 1, could be pick 20 depending on several factors.

LOL indeed if you think we'd give up pick 1 for him...
Im curious as to what you think his trade value is and what hawks could give up?
Thing is, Hawks could grab him via PSD if push came to shove. Worst case scenario for Freo though.
Clubs dont act in bad faith like that. Especially with someone of a Cerra calibre
Swap of firsts for starters.

Agreed, it is largely irrelevant in the Cerra case as the deal will get done.

However, if it was forced into the national draft you couldn't redraft them cheaply, you would be forced to bid on what the new club feels fit. Could be pick 1, could be pick 20 depending on several factors.
The AFL and players are moving away from that model completely. They won’t give the club who the player is from priority. PSD is there to stop clubs holding players after their contract. No matter how cheap or expensive the player is. The whole thing would get dragged into court by the player and the player would win. Same as what happened with Rugby.

Much more likely it’ll be free agency the moment you are out of contract so players won’t get locked to teams.

Though this is going off topic. Back to Cerra.

Cerra to Richmond gives me huge O'Meara to Hawthorn vibes. A good young player going to a team that's at the end of their cycle and trying to ride on their coattails to one last bit of success.
No injury concerns with Cerra unlike O'meara.

No injury concerns with Cerra unlike O'meara.
+ we're not pushing our legends out the door
+ most of them still have a couple years left
+ we haven't avoided the draft like the plague
+ we have a bunch of promising kids coming up already
+ we've been decimated by injury
+ even if we trade for cerra we'll still have a very strong draft hand

It's really nothing alike.

I agree.
I think Freo would ask for Hawks 1st pick
Or they’d ask for DGB - who I think would be pretty untradeable in Hawks eyes.

to afford, probably have to split the 1st pick and package or something.

gets messy

It would be funny if Cerra chooses Essendon and Dodo is forced to give up 2 first round picks. :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ummm we got pick 19 for buddy and pick 20 odd for a 22 year old, 3 time premiership player Brad hill
We know how it feels, unfortunately these things happen mate

pick 19 for buddy was laughable. Should have moved it all the way up.

23 for Hill wasn’t too far off. Had no top 10 B&F finishes and that was Freos only pick after 8.

$700k? Tell him he’s dreaming..

I think he is that on current output. Saying that.... You guys got Crozier off us. Crozier has gone from a solid roatation player at the dockers to a good player at the dogs.

Cerra goes to the dogs, he will thrive and improve like crozier did. Cerra is a good player at freo, he will be a very good player at the dogs.

I think he is that on current output. Saying that.... You guys got Crozier off us. Crozier has gone from a solid roatation player at the dockers to a good player at the dogs.

Cerra goes to the dogs, he will thrive and improve like crozier did. Cerra is a good player at freo, he will be a very good player at the dogs.

Do the Dogs have the picks/assets required to satisfy Freo in a deal? Also I am not sure they could fit them under their salary cap given how much Cerra is reportedly wanting?

I can assure you that hawthorn won’t be giving up a top 5 pick this year or next. If Cerra decides to nominate hawthorn then they will offer a pick that they think is fair and if freo don’t want to take it then they risk losing him for nothing....Freo don’t hold the power here for an out of contract player wanting to return home

As crazy as it is, Hawks could trade away a top 5 pick, if another team is willing to pay overs for it. Pick 5 and 6 has been traded in the last 4-6 years.

I have seen Saints trade pick 6 traded for picks 12 and 18 back in 2019 trade period.

Freo traded picks 6 and a 2019 future 3rd rounder for picks 11, 23, 31 and 49 ack in the 2018 trade period.

Na I wasn’t saying Cerra to dogs. Just can’t believe that price tag!

Absolutely. It already has. No club has lost more talent to Free Agency than Hawthorn. PSD is another very select form of this if you think about it.

Thats interesting that you brought this up. Not So much about free agency, But I have seen the crows lose so many players via free agency or Trades or Preseason draft from 2010 on wards its not even funny....

2010: Lost Nathan Bock to Gold coast.

2011: Lost Phil Davis to GWS after 18 games from 2009-2011.
Lost Jack Gunston to the hawks. Crows got picks 24, 46 and 64 for Gunston, Pick 53 and 71.

2012: Lost Kurt tippett in a dodgy contract situation and lost 1st and 2nd rounders for 2012 and 2013.

2015: Lost Dangerfield as a free agent. Crows refused to take the 1st round compo as it would of been pick 13. Cats traded picks 10, 28 and dean Gore.

2016: Lost Ricky henderson as a (Delisted) free agent.

2017: Lost Both Charlie Cameron and Jake Lever to Brisbane and Melbourne. Both were traded out.

2018: Lost Mitch McGovern to Carlton as he was traded out too.

2019: Lost Alex Keath and Hugh Greenwood to the dogs and suns repectively and both were traded out.

2020: Lost Kyle Hartigan to the hawks as a free agent. Lost Brad crouch to the saints as a free agent

Who have the hawks lost to free agency?

Buddy franklin in 2013, Matt suckling in 2015, Taylor duryea in 2018 (was a free agent but was traded for a future 4th rounder) and Isaac Smith in 2020.

Guys Like Jordan Lewis, Luke Hodge and sam Mitchell were traded out.

Do the Dogs have the picks/assets required to satisfy Freo in a deal? Also I am not sure they could fit them under their salary cap given how much Cerra is reportedly wanting?

Depends where the dogs finish. I think they do regardless.

If Cerra is willing to go to the dogs at $600,000 a year, i think they can fit him under the salary cap or at worst de list one or 2 fringe guys at $300,000 a year.

Not many dockers would agree, I wont mind Jason Johansen on their team. But he is a free agent in 2022. I would love Naughton at freo, But I doubt he would join us.

Saying that. He would fit in the dogs midfield.

Depends where the dogs finish. I think they do regardless.

If Cerra is willing to go to the dogs at $600,000 a year, i think they can fit him under the salary cap or at worst de list one or 2 fringe guys at $300,000 a year.

Not many dockers would agree, I wont mind Jason Johansen on their team. But he is a free agent in 2022. I would love Naughton at freo, But I doubt he would join us.

Saying that. He would fit in the dogs midfield.
think freo will want draft picks for him

Thats interesting that you brought this up. Not So much about free agency, But I have seen the crows lose so many players via free agency or Trades or Preseason draft from 2010 on wards its not even funny....

2010: Lost Nathan Bock to Gold coast.

2011: Lost Phil Davis to GWS after 18 games from 2009-2011.
Lost Jack Gunston to the hawks. Crows got picks 24, 46 and 64 for Gunston, Pick 53 and 71.

2012: Lost Kurt tippett in a dodgy contract situation and lost 1st and 2nd rounders for 2012 and 2013.

2015: Lost Dangerfield as a free agent. Crows refused to take the 1st round compo as it would of been pick 13. Cats traded picks 10, 28 and dean Gore.

2016: Lost Ricky henderson as a (Delisted) free agent.

2017: Lost Both Charlie Cameron and Jake Lever to Brisbane and Melbourne. Both were traded out.

2018: Lost Mitch McGovern to Carlton as he was traded out too.

2019: Lost Alex Keath and Hugh Greenwood to the dogs and suns repectively and both were traded out.

2020: Lost Kyle Hartigan to the hawks as a free agent. Lost Brad crouch to the saints as a free agent

Who have the hawks lost to free agency?

Buddy franklin in 2013, Matt suckling in 2015, Taylor duryea in 2018 (was a free agent but was traded for a future 4th rounder) and Isaac Smith in 2020.

Guys Like Jordan Lewis, Luke Hodge and sam Mitchell were traded out.
If it’s pure numbers we’ve had 7. Franklin, Birchall, Ellis, Suckling, Murphy, Young and Smith.

Back