domus

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
Mooroolbark
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Mooroolbark footy club
I thought Josh Thomas was fantastic early. He looked to have some real zip with his running down players and used the pill well. He has had a very good year despite his critics on this forum.

anshell

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 10, 2008
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
manchester united
Well,keep Harvey as an assistant coach under Clarkson then.That should keep the players happy.:)

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
The confidence those kids will take out of that game will be massive well done pies
Agreed Joff - it's the type of performance that builds self belief and that can lead to accelerated improvement.

Doesn’t matter what personnel you’ve got available, this win proves that effort is free and when you apply yourself and execute a plan that every dog can have their day!

To me, this was bordering on a perfect game. Yep, we slowed down and we didn’t hit the scoreboard as much in the second half but we had to expect that a) being such a young side, we were going to tire and b) the sheer number of inside 50’s that they created (albeit a standard number) was eventually going to result in scores. They were running ridiculously low on scores per inside 50 in the first half, whereas we were tracking above average. All the second half was that stat balancing itself out.

I’m still extremely proud of the second half because we still executed from a defensive aspect (yep, they beat us in the second half but we still only conceded 5 goals), probably slowed down a bit on the play on/ corridor style, but found a score when we needed to settle and just kept plugging away.

Everyone played their role, I’m filled with positivity and I can’t wait to see how this squad progress’.

TheVillageIdiot7

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
Firstly, no AFL team with intent would lose against what the eagles dished up.

Fairly amusing that when we go fast and take it on....good things happen.
Coincidence that this is least i've seen us "bomb it long" in 3 years? amazing things happen when you move it fast...who'd have thought?!?!?!
How open was the forward line and how easy did we get shots????? all due to ball speed......again, who'd have thought!

Only going to comment on a few....

- Bianco. Well done. Had the most horrendous day by foot. We all know how good he is usually both in decisions & execution, but he had a mare. Why i rate him is that when he had a chance to score, he was super solid.
What would you take... an OOB and 2 smothers? or 2 goals from 2 shots (was unlucky with the siren).
To me, that shows class and a good mindset to contribute when its not going your way. That's not a standard mindset in my opinion.

- Mccrae....classy disposal and vision. that kick to checkers was pure class and also the one to noble. Confidence will give this guy a massive boost!

- Thomas. well done. sent him to the middle and he looked aggressive and fast!! interesting he took the 1 hander going back when he shirked one earlier in the year.

- Sidey - best game in 2 years. Worked hard, I was furious at his lack of intent to tackle early (he kept pulling up in the 1 qtr), but his offence was first class.

- JDG - I was super critical about his one way running in the past few weeks. But today he was far better defensively. Worked super hard in defence. apart from a 'one hander' moment, was our best.

- henry -sticky sticky hands!! as i said last week...has the pace of the game. Going to be a nightmare in a few years when we start looking for him.

- elliot. take a bow! i thought he was close to our best (with JDG). His second efforts and desire to compete got us at lest 3-4 goals.

- checkers - i feel like i have it in for checkers! But he was terrible. The entire team went fast, took first option and took risk. Every time checkers got it he held it up and either went sideways or bombed it long. hope they show him his game. plenty to learn.

- crisp - so consistent and aggressive in his rebound. Big part in why we smashed them on the rebound.

- adams - handball please! field kicking was 2nd worst (behind bianco)......but was super clean on the ground and made good decisions (just bad execution).

Lots of other contributors today obviously. a good result.
But what a difference a team can make when they just go fast and take risk.

Albeit this needs to be tempered by just how poor eagles were.
But still it looks good for the future that the young guys contributed and looked capable.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
I was wrong.

Ollie and Fin are gonna be alright, more than alright

Bianco is tired, but will be a star.

Ruscoe could end up being one of our most important down back in the years to come.

Poulter and McCreery willslot straight in next year.

trading that first round pick to get all of these kids - looking better and better as the year goes on.

Im sorry, I was wrong

Gonna add Nick into the mix next year also.

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
When we recruited Ruscoe I said we'd round our eventual Langdon replacement. Didn't think he was five times the better kick though 😂
His kicking out of defence has been a revelation - both in execution and direction.
Bloody good effort young man!

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
I thought Josh Thomas was fantastic early. He looked to have some real zip with his running down players and used the pill well. He has had a very good year despite his critics on this forum.

I never gave up on him either re.. that's intelligence on another level.. just like Aaron Neville.. on another level.. that is.. 50.. shades.. of.. sexy.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
When we recruited Ruscoe I said we'd round our eventual Langdon replacement. Didn't think he was five times the better kick though 😂
Ruscoe was good but he is not a Langdon replacement. He might be a better kick but Langdon was certainly a far better mark.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Firstly, no AFL team with intent would lose against what the eagles dished up.

Albeit this needs to be tempered by just how poor eagles were.
But still it looks good for the future that the young guys contributed and looked capable.

Yes the Eagles where Terrible but also we made them pay for it

jonmacTrag

Premiership Player
May 27, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yes the Eagles where Terrible but also we made them pay for it
Part of that terrible play was the pressure direct attacking play through the corridor to the advantage of the leading forward puts on the opposition.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Football is easy.. eliminate the politics.. don't overcomplicate things and Bob's your uncle re.. bit like the pandemic re.. takes 2 seconds to get vaccinated.. not worth worrying about it beyond that.. the rest of the time.. go and live a happy and productive life mate.

That's the key to success.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Can we now comfortably say - Ollie, McCrae, McCreery, Ginnivan, Poulter have the talent to make it?
I say that’s a definite yes - only poor attitude stops them from here.
So a big tick to our recruiters to have made such solid picks in a single year - with McMahon and Reef still looking likely prospects.

The new Coach will have a lot to work with, and a return to contention may be shorter than we think.

Last edited:
Can we now comfortably say - Ollie, McCrae, McCreery, Ginnivan have the talent to make it?
I say that’s a definite yes - only poor attitude stops them from here.
So a big tick to our recruiters to have made such solid picks in a single year - with McMahon and Reef still looking likely prospects.

The new Coach will have a lot to work with, and a return to contention may be sorter than we think.

Don't Forget about Poulter

Back