Is there a club that handles adversity worse than the West Coast Eagles?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a club they have never faced and significant hardships in their entire history, yet their fragile supporter base somehow thinks they are hard done by
Travelling every second week?

Winning 4 flags, including 3 GFs against Victorian sides.

Sit down, blowhard.

There is no question that WC are hot and cold, but it is kind of funny to watch the pile on. Funny how WC got dumped on for getting antsy while most Victorian players were sleeping in their own beds last year (which apparently gives you magic powers). Shoes on the other foot, and the AFL rolls out 5 star resorts, families staying and still there were tears, there were further demands, there were claims that teams like Port had it easy despite being FIFO into Qld and had a couple of extra (and only a couple) games in their home state. Meanwhile, who are the players sooking so they don't get drafted to certain clubs, who are the ones 'going home' after 2 years. Sooky Vic metro kids. WC are 1 of 2 clubs to win a flag in the past 4 years and 1 of 5 in the last decade, they are equal top on the AFL premierships list, they will probably play finals this year, and still have a decent side. They're one of the richest clubs in the comp. Not sure why people are getting stuck into a club that is most likely better than theirs.

Dunno what you've got to complain about, looks like Port had it the best of everyone last year's finalists. Port even had the two home finals and couldn't even get into the gf let alone win it. Don't blame others because South Australia doesn't have any 5 star resorts.

The Top 8 from last year.

Port Adelaide :
H&A - Adelaide Oval x 7, Gold Coast x 6, GABBA x 4
Finals - Adelaide Oval x 2

Brisbane :
H&A - GABBA x 9, Gold Coast x 4, MCG x 1, SCG x 1, Cairns x 1, GWS x 1
Finals - GABBA x 2

Richmond :
H&A - Gold Coast x 6, MCG x 4, GABBA x 2, Adelaide Oval x 2, Marvel x 1, Darwin x 1, GWS x 1
Finals - GABBA x 2, Adelaide Oval x 1, Gold Coast x 1

Geelong :
H&A - Gold Coast x 4, Kardinia Park x 3, Perth x 3, GABBA x 3, GWS x 1, MCG x 1, Adelaide Oval x 1, SCG x 1
Finals - GABBA x 3, Adelaide Oval x 1

West Coast Eagles :
H&A - Perth x 7, Gold Coast x 6, GABBA x 4
Finals - Perth x 1

St Kilda :
H&A - GABBA x 6, Marvel x 4, Gold Coast x 3, Adelaide Oval x 2, MCG x 1, Alice Springs x 1
Finals - GABBA x 1, Gold Coast x 1

Western Bulldogs :
H&A - Gold Coast x 8, Marvel x 4, Adelaide Oval x 2, SCG x 1, GABBA x 1, Cairns x 1
Finals - GABBA x 1

Collingwood :
H&A - GABBA x 7, MCG x 3, Perth x 3, GWS x 2, Marvel x 1, Adelaide Oval x 1
Finals - Perth x 1, GABBA x 1.

Last edited:
Dunno what you've got to complain about, looks like Port had it the best of everyone last year's finalists. Port even had the two home finals and couldn't even get into the gf let alone win it. Don't blame others because South Australia doesn't have any 5 star resorts.

Port Adelaide :

Brisbane :
Finals - GABBA x 2

Richmond :
H&A - Gold Coast x 6, MCG x 4, GABBA x 2, Adelaide Oval x 2, Marvel x 1, Darwin x 1, GWS x 1

Geelong :
H&A - Gold Coast x 4, Kardinia Park x 3, Perth x 3, GABBA x 3, GWS x 1, MCG x 1, Adelaide Oval x 1, SCG x 1

West Coast Eagles :
Finals - Perth x 1

St Kilda :
H&A - GABBA x 6, Marvel x 4, Gold Coast x 3, Adelaide Oval x 2, MCG x 1, Alice Springs x 1

Western Bulldogs :
H&A - Gold Coast x 8, Marvel x 4, Adelaide Oval x 2, SCG x 1, GABBA x 1, Cairns x 1
Finals - GABBA x 1

Collingwood :
The point is how different the AFL treated clubs like Port Adelaide starting the year with 6 of first 7 on the road, whilst teams like Geelong were playing 5 of their first 6 in Melbourne/Geelong.
And then how much the AFL changed their tune when Victorian clubs moved up to Queensland.

It's not about the flag, we weren't good enough to beat the Tigers when it counted, then again, neither were Geelong.

Port Adelaide :

Brisbane :
Finals - GABBA x 2

Richmond :

Geelong :

West Coast Eagles :
Finals - Perth x 1

St Kilda :

Western Bulldogs :
Finals - GABBA x 1

Collingwood :

2 Home finals we'd earned, oh no, the sky will fall in. As I said 2 more games in our state than some Victorian teams (i.e St Kilda). 1 of our 7 a neutral showdown seeing though Vic v Vic games apparently don't count. As has been mentioned countless times, the only reason we got as many AO games is we elected to FIFO in Qld. I am not sure what kind of advantage we got from getting up at 4am to travel to another state to play a team that had spent the last several weeks in a 5 star resort 200m away from the ground with their families waiting for us. It is certainly not the sort of advantage Victorian teams getting every non-covid year and seem to shrug their shoulders. All I know is Port have played in Melbourne 2 weeks ago, played a home game at our opponents 2nd home ground last week having multiple false starts at the airport, have flown from Adelaide to qld to Melbourne this week and when Ken Hinkley gets asked about it, he won't complain. Meanwhile dickheads from Vic clubs have whined non-stop about every inconvenience put before them. Guaranteed when some Victorian side in the top 4 doesn't play away for the last 6 weeks in 2022 we will have some ********* spouting 'err, you've got to win everywhere, hur dur'.

On the topic of 2020. Why didn't you win? We softened Richmond up for you, whilst Brisbane didn't rock up. Vlaustin knocked out in the first 5 minutes of the game. Played at a neutral ground instead of your opponents home ground (a right they had earned for a change). A flag right there for the taking and Geelong s**t the bed. Have I missed anything?

2 Home finals we'd earned, oh no, the sky will fall in. As I said 2 more games in our state than some Victorian teams (i.e St Kilda). 1 of our 7 a neutral showdown seeing though Vic v Vic games apparently don't count. As has been mentioned countless times, the only reason we got as many AO games is we elected to FIFO in Qld. I am not sure what kind of advantage we got from getting up at 4am to travel to another state to play a team that had spent the last several weeks in a 5 star resort 200m away from the ground with their families waiting for us. It is certainly not the sort of advantage Victorian teams getting every non-covid year and seem to shrug their shoulders. All I know is Port have played in Melbourne 2 weeks ago, played a home game at our opponents 2nd home ground last week having multiple false starts at the airport, have flown from Adelaide to qld to Melbourne this week and when Ken Hinkley gets asked about it, he won't complain. Meanwhile dickheads from Vic clubs have whined non-stop about every inconvenience put before them. Guaranteed when some Victorian side in the top 4 doesn't play away for the last 6 weeks in 2022 we will have some ********* spouting 'err, you've got to win everywhere, hur dur'.

On the topic of 2020. Why didn't you win? We softened Richmond up for you, whilst Brisbane didn't rock up. Vlaustin knocked out in the first 5 minutes of the game. Played at a neutral ground instead of your opponents home ground (a right they had earned for a change). A flag right there for the taking and Geelong sh*t the bed. Have I missed anything?
I'm trying to figure out what it is you're arguing here.

The aforementioned stats basically shut down your entire argument, in fact you'd be forgiven for thinking port had a pretty sweet ride last year.

Didn't Geelong have to sleep under tables in Adelaide a month or so back?

I'm trying to figure out what it is you're arguing here.

The aforementioned stats basically shut down your entire argument, in fact you'd be forgiven for thinking port had a pretty sweet ride last year.

Didn't Geelong have to sleep under tables in Adelaide a month or so back?

That's the point, Port haven't been complaining. None of the non-vic clubs have. Simpson vented that WC would like certainty going forward and got shat on. By the time the Vics had to hub, they got a much better deal and all we heard was how tough they had it. The 'advantage' we had last year was less than almost every Victorian team gets every year and we've heard nothing but how we're a bunch of spuds for not winning. Why does every Vic team win every year?

All we have heard about is how hard it is for the Vic teams. Noone will cut GWS or Sydney any slack and the annual pilfering of GWS players will occur at the end of the year while w***ers will bemoan Sydney drafting someone from their academy that other teams could have bid on. And then 2022 will likely be back to normal and the travelling will suddenly be something that is 'easy' and if you don't win 80% of your games in Vic, then 'you don't deserve to win the premiership anyway'.

On the topic of 2020. Why didn't you win? We softened Richmond up for you, whilst Brisbane didn't rock up. Vlaustin knocked out in the first 5 minutes of the game. Played at a neutral ground instead of your opponents home ground (a right they had earned for a change). A flag right there for the taking and Geelong sh*t the bed. Have I missed anything?

I'm not the one complaining about it, you are. Do you have to turn your pillow over during the night when you tears have soaked through one side of it?

I'm not the one complaining about it, you are. Do you have to turn your pillow over during the night when you tears have soaked through one side of it?

I'm not the one starting a thread to bag a team using bullshit reasoning from last year, that was you. You don't like having it returned straight back in your face, don't start bullshit threads.

Unfortunately every team knows that if they apply pressure and intensity from the first bounce we will wither.

I'm not the one starting a thread to bag a team using bullshit reasoning from last year, that was you. You don't like having it returned straight back in your face, don't start bullshit threads.

It started last year and has continued right through this year too.

What have you returned back to me? All you done is have a VicBias melt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's strange because in 2015 and 2018 our ability to deal with adversity were hallmarks of our side and the reason we were able to be so successful in those years. Especially 2018 with wins after the siren, epic comebacks in finals and overcoming multiple injuries to stars.

Post 2018 we have failed a lot more tests than we have succeeded. I don't know if that's a function of long term contracts and players being satisfied with winning a flag, a lack of accountability from the coaching staff or a lack of pressure from underneath due to a conservative match committee. Probably a function of all three.

Game plan is no good at the moment but the lack of effort is the most concerning.

Seeing someone like NN try and carry a midfield with talented players who won't work hard is endlessly frustrating. Seeing JK still needing to bring the ball to ground and lay tackles because no one else will.

But we've seen teams turn around effort within a season and look so much better. I don't think we have any say in the finals this year but hopefully a gameplan or personnel or coaching shake up will be in the works in the off season.

They did win a flag 3 years ago and have been a regular finalist for a fair while now.

Might be just a side out of form or a few guys in decline.

Mind you I think most thought they’d be 5-6th this year and they are 7th so they are only a bit behind where I thought.

The form of the last 6-7 weeks has been pretty poor though.

In response to the OP, I'd say we're worse.

In addition to folding on the field, we get our club ambassadors in the media to have a go at fans or other media people who dare question our club.

It started last year and has continued right through this year too.

What have you returned back to me? All you done is have a VicBias melt.

How many teams have played consistent football this year? Your mob sure haven't. If Jeremy Cameron isn't playing you suddenly become a 8 goal worse team. Port are the most consistent side all year and we're getting crapped on for consistently beating worse teams than us and losing to better ones. All you have posted is tripe and the sort of 'flat track bully' s**t that dumb people parrot from the commentators. Well done, you must be a genius.

In response to the OP, I'd say we're worse.

In addition to folding on the field, we get our club ambassadors in the media to have a go at fans or other media people who dare question our club.

Pfft Hawks are in a much much worse state.

Unlikely to get out of the bottom 4 for a decade

As a club they have never faced any significant hardships in their entire history, yet their fragile supporter base somehow thinks they are hard done by

BOOO!!

Was it the worst 300 game milestone match ever? And Shannon the only eagle ot ever get there? Unbelievable.

Well not to brag or anything but Adelaide responded to the trauma of losing the 17 Grand Final by waging psychological warfare on it's players at a camp that ended up destroying the culture of the club and fractured the playing group taking us from a wide open window to two underwhelming seasons followed by a wooden spoon, the turning over of much of our staff both on and off field with no end in sight to our pain. So yeah, I'll take a little ******* whinging here and there and some subpar performances over that mess.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back