Analysis Play Todd Marshall...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marshall needs to model his game on Tom Lynch from Adelaide. Be the "connector"

His kicking into the forward line is excellent, he can outmark most midfielders, and he can use his running ability rather than when he's parked in the 50 with a tight checking defender.

He can then become a crucial piece of our puzzle.

Great call.

Todd had a good game, not sure what the complaints are about. His kicking inside 50 is very underrated, has a great sense of where to put the ball to give us best chance. Even the one in the last qtr that Haynes almost marked was excellent because it was to our advantage and we had more players at the fall of the ball allowing an easy goal. That's Marshall's goal in my eyes.
That was a shocking decision, he ignored Ladhams standing on his own 30m out on a slight angle to try and hit that Globetrotters pass. Rozee and Butters made the low percentage option look good.

Just like Marshall made Amon look good when Amon ignored the straight forward hit up lead from Lycett. Other teams hit those easy options which is why they look better than us going into their forward 50.

I don't think Todd can go head to head with the best backs in the game, in reality he shouldn't have to because his best footy comes 70 metres from goal. I think playing Ladhams has really helped Todd and Charlie. It's allowed Marshall to roam up the ground and get out of our forwards way. One of the biggest knocks on Todd throughout the year is bringing his man in to compete with our other forwards.

He will never be a contested marking, massive goalkicking type of option.
Plays a bit like a shorter version of Hoff - clever and quick thinking.
Make him a Lynch (Crows) lead up high forward, who drifts down to the goal square at times, into the midfield at others, sometimes helps out down back. As long as he keeps himself and his oppo away from Charlie, MG and Pistol, they can compete without him spoiling them.

Todd isn’t a gorilla key forward and never will be, nor do we ever need him to be. If we need a player of that type we need to find them elsewhere. Honestly I don’t mind Ladhams in that position so I’m not panicking about Dixon’s future retirement as much as I was.

I honestly don’t know how you find a genuine strong KPF tho, they just seem so freaking rare and clubs always value the best of them very highly at the draft so you basically need a top 2-3 pick and even then you can miss out or draft a player who doesn’t make it.

We did very well to land Dixon honestly. And I think pulling off a recruit like is the most likely way we are going to replace him.

lol cheap stats?! a tall getting up the ground to be a link man isnt cheap stats. in fact its where i would play him. has beautiful foot skills

That's fine. Play him as a wing. If we play 3 talls (likely) he can't get cheapies up the ground. Dixon will be in the ruck at times and 2 kpfs mean either Dixon is getting mugged or georgiades is having his run blocked.

Our 4 talls are starting to become very hard to defend against as the group of them are finally getting some consistent footy together.

Dixon takes the best defender or two every single week as teams try to muscle him out of the game just to break even. You basically have to infringe him every second contest to get to the ball and if you don't get the umps on your side he's having a handfull of shots on goal per game off of that alone. Not only a threat in the air however, Dixon has suprisingly good agility for a bloke of his stature and can rove alright as well. Charlie is doing it rough up forward? Throw him in the ruck for a few minutes and watch the opposition s**t themselves as he charges at them in the middle.

Ladhams takes a tall defender just on height alone, so there goes one of your big blokes you would've used to gain an advantage on Georgiades or Marshall. Oh but Ladhams can crumb and kick them like a small as well? And becomes an extra midfielder when rucking? That's a difficult matchup to hold and with less than 30 games under his belt Pistols can only get better.

Georgiades probably takes the third tall or at least a small who can play tall type defender e.g. Jonas who needs to be focused at all times to contain Mitch. Not only can he lead, kick straight, has hands like a vice and all the other hallmarks of a classic tall forward, but he can leap with the best of them so be prepared to have a hanger taken on you. Has the ability to kick a bag in him so you absolutely can't let him have his way.

Then there's Marshall. Probably plays on the third or fourth defender depending on the oppositions matchups but once again, you can't let him get away from you. Can lead and kick straight, but most importantly has great footy smarts and impeccable use of the ball. Ideally he leads up the ground and becomes that linkman delivering inside 50, but if we're smashing them in the middle he needs to create that overload of hieght up forward. Another very dynamic tall who can play small.

I think we've got an incredible mix of talls in the forwardline right now. You'd be licking your lips as a coach looking at all those chess pieces in front of you to work with, but I have little confidence in Bassett or Hinkley to get the most out of them at the moment. That being said, I will give Ken credit for sticking with Marshall and showing confidence in the lad. Has probably become somewhat of a father figure following the passing of Todd's parents and I really respect the public faith he's put in Marshall because he's the exact kind of person who needs it. I have no doubt that he'll be better for it and now with 50 games under his belt we can start to see the best of him moving forward.

Our 4 talls are starting to become very hard to defend against as the group of them are finally getting some consistent footy together.

Dixon takes the best defender or two every single week as teams try to muscle him out of the game just to break even. You basically have to infringe him every second contest to get to the ball and if you don't get the umps on your side he's having a handfull of shots on goal per game off of that alone. Not only a threat in the air however, Dixon has suprisingly good agility for a bloke of his stature and can rove alright as well. Charlie is doing it rough up forward? Throw him in the ruck for a few minutes and watch the opposition sh*t themselves as he charges at them in the middle.

Ladhams takes a tall defender just on height alone, so there goes one of your big blokes you would've used to gain an advantage on Georgiades or Marshall. Oh but Ladhams can crumb and kick them like a small as well? And becomes an extra midfielder when rucking? That's a difficult matchup to hold and with less than 30 games under his belt Pistols can only get better.

Georgiades probably takes the third tall or at least a small who can play tall type defender e.g. Jonas who needs to be focused at all times to contain Mitch. Not only can he lead, kick straight, has hands like a vice and all the other hallmarks of a classic tall forward, but he can leap with the best of them so be prepared to have a hanger taken on you. Has the ability to kick a bag in him so you absolutely can't let him have his way.

Then there's Marshall. Probably plays on the third or fourth defender depending on the oppositions matchups but once again, you can't let him get away from you. Can lead and kick straight, but most importantly has great footy smarts and impeccable use of the ball. Ideally he leads up the ground and becomes that linkman delivering inside 50, but if we're smashing them in the middle he needs to create that overload of hieght up forward. Another very dynamic tall who can play small.

I think we've got an incredible mix of talls in the forwardline right now. You'd be licking your lips as a coach looking at all those chess pieces in front of you to work with, but I have little confidence in Bassett or Hinkley to get the most out of them at the moment. That being said, I will give Ken credit for sticking with Marshall and showing confidence in the lad. Has probably become somewhat of a father figure following the passing of Todd's parents and I really respect the public faith he's put in Marshall because he's the exact kind of person who needs it. I have no doubt that he'll be better for it and now with 50 games under his belt we can start to see the best of him moving forward.
So long as they’re all in form, then I agree.
Dixon has kicked 10 these past three weeks, MG 6, Ladhams 5, Marshall 4.
They’re all having good patches. If they keep that up and share the load and have some presence at ground level and linking around the ground, then we can pull off all four in the same side. Even moreso if SPP doesn’t hit his straps before Gray’s return.

Man westhoffs career really has gone up since retiring lol

Same westhoff who lead a forward line against Richmond's vfl team and put together a disaster class with Ryder despite Hoff playing 252 games and a dozen pre seasons under his belt and only taking 4 marks and 1 goal as the main target lmfao

So long as they’re all in form, then I agree.
Dixon has kicked 10 these past three weeks, MG 6, Ladhams 5, Marshall 4.
They’re all having good patches. If they keep that up and share the load and have some presence at ground level and linking around the ground, then we can pull off all four in the same side. Even moreso if SPP doesn’t hit his straps before Gray’s return.
I worry about having all 4 when Gray returns though.

Gray is a but of a liability pressure wise nowadays so him and 4 talls leaves us vulnerable on the rebound.

It will be a tough call as like you said the talls are working well together.
On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Same westhoff who lead a forward line against Richmond's vfl team and put together a disaster class with Ryder despite Hoff playing 252 games and a dozen pre seasons under his belt and only taking 4 marks and 1 goal as the main target lmfao

Keyword being 'main target', Hoff was never main target material, same with Ryder, but he was capable of bobbing up and having half a dozen shots on goal sometimes when there was another main target for him to work around. So far Marshall's ceiling looks about three shots on goal a game. That needs to double. Three should become the average.

Last edited:

The Westhoff comparison is for saying that he shouldn't be doing any of that! Never leading the forward line!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

for me the mention of westhoff when discussing marshall, is highlighting the best role may not be as a KPF but as a utility, link up man, on the wing etc

that said I feel todd has one more year before the jury has to make a decision on his best position

Marshall needs to model his game on Tom Lynch from Adelaide. Be the "connector"

His kicking into the forward line is excellent, he can outmark most midfielders, and he can use his running ability rather than when he's parked in the 50 with a tight checking defender.

He can then become a crucial piece of our puzzle.
this is not a new comparison. I disagree to some extent. Todd should be expected to clunk a few more contested marks when delivered to him like they were in qtr 1. But yes he is no key forward.

EF97824E-1F0F-45FD-ABAE-DE8CA777B0DE.png
Pictured: Not a Key Forward Todd Marshall outmarking Elite Defender Phil Davis in a one on one contest.

I think this image must be doctored based on things I’ve read in this thread.

View attachment 1194971
Pictured: Not a Key Forward Todd Marshall outmarking Elite Defender Phil Davis in a one on one contest.

I'm not criticising Marshall at all, but that's an uncontested mark. Davis has no way to defend that except by getting a fist to the ball without looking or by infringing Marshall. Every AFL footballer over 190cm should mark that ball 9/10 times and the other time should be a free.

I'm not criticising Marshall at all, but that's an uncontested mark. Davis has no way to defend that except by getting a fist to the ball without looking or by infringing Marshall. Every AFL footballer over 190cm should mark that ball 9/10 times and the other time should be a free.
Marshall pushed Davis under the ball lmao, he beat him to the best spot and owned him.

Marshall created that separation through timing and body work.

Otherwise known as key forward craft.

View attachment 1194971

Replace "Elite Defender Phil Davis" with the "Crippled Corpse of Phil Davis" and it might be more accurate.

Kick should never have gone to Marshall though, but should've hit Lycett on the easy lead about 20m further out.

Marshall is tracking beautifully for a 50 game tall forward.

A lot of the flaws in his game will buff out as he continues to develop his body and grows in confidence.

I’m not sure what people are expecting from a second and sometimes third option. At the moment he’s reminiscent of Nathan Ablett riding shotgun with Cam Mooney in 2007, and that’s perfectly fine for where we’re at.

I’m amazed how some otherwise normally sensible posters are so biased about Todd Marshall it’s like reading a thread on Donald trump.

usually the truth is somewhere in the middle

Marshall has all the skills to become one of the best second talls/CHFs in the game. He has had his best year and has continued to track upwards year on year. He is one more preseason away from having a breakout season imo. As a fourth tall that has great ground skills, he unbalances the opposition defence and doesn't mess with our structure. Though if it comes down to Ladhams or Marshall for the finals, I would play Ladhams to keep Dixon from rucking all game.

Marshall created that separation through timing and body work.

Otherwise known as key forward craft.
Yeah reading a kick and getting to the drop when the ball gets kicked to your advantage is not key forward craft it's called playing football. He put a slight push on him when he already had seperation and the ball drop covered. That's all he did, it's not some ground breaking mark. The kick from Amon was to his advantaged side, a little high but Marshalls height and reaction time covered it. Good uncontested mark where the player was lead to the ball by the kicker. I smell gas in here.

Marshall is tracking beautifully for a 50 game tall forward.

A lot of the flaws in his game will buff out as he continues to develop his body and grows in confidence.

I’m not sure what people are expecting from a second and sometimes third option. At the moment he’s reminiscent of Nathan Ablett riding shotgun with Cam Mooney in 2007, and that’s perfectly fine for where we’re at.
I was checking out how he compares with Naughton yesterday. Naughton is now at 71 games and Marshal at 50 so even though Todd is a year older he is a whole season of games behind. I don't see why Marshall cannot be at Naughtons level by the end of next year if he continues to stay on the park. I think some people forget how broken up Marshalls career has been to this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back