Free Agency George Hewett [joins Carlton as a restricted free agent]

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the old formula, the maximum age bonus was +12 for being 26. I don't think there was a way to get any more? If so, Hewett should get the same age bonus, and then it simply comes down to salary. If Hewett's is similar, we should get the same compo. If Hewett is higher, we might get band 3.
You've gotten band 4.

The fact Hewett and Chol get the same compensation should be cause to overhaul the system. Absolutely baffling decision.

An RFA according to the latest AFL article, so I suppose we ought to have a thread for him.

If you're wondering why he qualifies as an RFA;

A restricted free agent is a player in the top 25 per cent paid players at their club this year where they have been for eight or nine years.

It does not take into account the average salary of a player across his contract but simply the number of his final-year money, meaning some players can be lifted due to back-ending of deals or deferments of payments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Criminally underrated player by many fans. No fuss, gets the job done and is reasonably flexible by position. Definately wouldn't want to lose him but the potential size of the next contracts for Gulden, Dawson, Campbell, McDonald, Warner, Rowbottom etc etc make the money a little tight in a few years. Presume he wants a long contract but just not sure how we afford more than 2 years at the moment.

If he is half as good as you say why hasn’t he re-signed? There’s not one source stating there’s any interest from either parties side about an extension. I looked before even making my initial post. I’m only interested in this because his family are friends of a friend. He should go back to SA.

There are many reasons why a player has not necessarily resigned yet.

Also Hewett is an automatic selection at the Swans. He has had a few back issues in thr last few years which sometimes keep him out of the team but when he is fit he has not been dropped in years.

It's no secret he's the top of my wishlist for Essendon next year. Would offer him 4 years on decent coin without much issue.
Yeah, he's that steady & reliable. Will sacrifice his game to tag but can easily play off his opponent when he starts the get on top of them. Smart player.

I hope we re-sign Hewett, but if we had to lose one out of him and Dawson, I'd obviously have to cop Hewett leaving if we could replace him with someone like Lipinski (would still rather just keep Hewett).

I think he will stay, just have to wait to see how we're tracking once the soft cap is announced.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After their rash of high priced recruiting and re-signing their own decent players to sizable contracts how can they afford any more imports?
By losing guys like JSOS, Curnow and SPS

After their rash of high priced recruiting and re-signing their own decent players to sizable contracts how can they afford any more imports?

I really don’t understand how this is asked seriously.

How much do you think he’d be on?

Carlton will lose Murphy, Casboult and Ed Curnow if we get Hewett. That will free up space. Martin and McGovern were reportedly on heavily front ended contracts so they will be on less next year.

I don't think our salary situation would be worse than most other clubs. I mean unless we had access to the books how would really know? The above points I made could be made up rumour.

He’d be the perfect Curnow replacement and as a few blues supporters have said we heavily front loaded 3-4 big contracts (Gov, Martin and Williams) as we had a little extra cap space as a result of consecutive years of underspending under Sos. Martin was reportedly on 550-600k, but in his first year this number was 1 mil. And if Gov and Williams had a similar pay structure we are in a pretty healthy position cap wise despite the outside speculation.

Luv him, but with a couple of columns in the Lotus 123 spreadsheet not quite adding up i think he'll have a new home next year. As we rebuild we cannot hold everyone we'd like to.
Unlucky with injury the last 12-18 months but strolls into best 22 after a good preseason. Only 24 i think, and a solid pickup to put some steel into any midfield.
I'd test the market for him.

How often do Sydney lose someone they want to keep? Last few years they've traded away Rohan, Newman, Hanneberry, Darcy Cameron and Zak Jones for basically cents on the dollar. They are all still running round making an impact (except Hannebery, lol St Kilda). Was it just salary cap or list balance that saw them go?

FWIW, Hewett would be a really handy pickup for almost any side. Seems like the type that will never be top 10 in your B&F but always in the first dozen picked each week.

Was it just salary cap or list balance that saw them go?

Bit of A, bit of B, we backloaded some contracts to keep a solid team 2012 - 2016, so are still paying off some backloaded contracts.

I don't think we expected to improve as fast as we have, and expected to be able to frontload new contracts with Buddy dropping 600k next year then clearing 900k the following.

Hope we don't lose him, would rather us just let S Reid retire, but I understand if we need to lose him in order to front load contracts and set the team up for a solid 4 or 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back