List Mgmt. 2021 List Management

El Topo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 18, 2013
the wilderness
AFL Club
Carlton
Would love SPS to pull his finger out and really get going and take his spot. Massive kicking upgrade but Ed is one hell of a competitor and tough bastard. I am willing to bet he offers a lot of voice on the field as well, not easy to replace but we need to.

No need to guess, you can hear Ed loud and clear on the crowdless TV broadcasts - iconic on field voice

FitzroyBlueBagger

FitzroyBlueBagger
Sep 30, 2018
Fitzroy
AFL Club
Carlton
Dylan Stephens anyone?
With Sydney under salary cap pressure and this kid being out of contract.
I think we could persuade him to come to us, we could quite possibly be able to get him for a second rounder.
We need a wingman with pace I think Dylan is the perfect player for us and hope we are talking to his management.
In a heartbeat, we could possibly get him for a good draft pick but fair price...

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Eddie is going alright but I am not sure keeping him on the list is the right thing to do here. We need spots, so do we squeeze another season out of Betts or dump some raw but talented young player or a depth player?

I'm happy to go into next season with guys like Owies, Honey, Fogarty, SPS, Carroll, Fisher, Martin, Durdin, Philp and whoever we draft floating around there.

Betts has been great but I would like to use some draft picks this season and chase some forwards and to give ourselves a good opportunity to find players I think we need to use late picks as well.

I think for where our list is at we really need to hang on to young players and give them those extra years of development rather than delist them to keep old blokes in the very twilight of their careers.

I think 4 or 5 picks in the national draft his year would be good. Go for forwards who have pace, finishing skills and provide good pressure and give ourselves ample chances to find them.

I'd be shifting Murphy, Betts and Casboult on for a start and we need to find one or two more to go with that group. Could be McDonald, Setterfield, Parks, O'Brien, Gibbons or Cottrell. IMO those are our options. Keeping players for depth is a key to who goes and stays.

I just don't see Betts as crucial to next season or beyond that.

Eddie is going alright but I am not sure keeping him on the list is the right thing to do here. We need spots, so do we squeeze another season out of Betts or dump some raw but talented young player or a depth player?

I'm happy to go into next season with guys like Owies, Honey, Fogarty, SPS, Carroll, Fisher, Martin, Durdin, Philp and whoever we draft floating around there.

Betts has been great but I would like to use some draft picks this season and chase some forwards and to give ourselves a good opportunity to find players I think we need to use late picks as well.

I think for where our list is at we really need to hang on to young players and give them those extra years of development rather than delist them to keep old blokes in the very twilight of their careers.

I think 4 or 5 picks in the national draft his year would be good. Go for forwards who have pace, finishing skills and provide good pressure and give ourselves ample chances to find them.

I'd be shifting Murphy, Betts and Casboult on for a start and we need to find one or two more to go with that group. Could be McDonald, Setterfield, Parks, O'Brien, Gibbons or Cottrell. IMO those are our options. Keeping players for depth is a key to who goes and stays.

I would like Eddie to head up our indigenous programme .. and be an assistant forward line coach.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
No need to guess, you can hear Ed loud and clear on the crowdless TV broadcasts - iconic on field voice

I hindsight he would have been an excellent choice as captain. If he was picked instead of Cripps/Docherty we would be at a point where he hands it over next season but that wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

OldFoss78

Draftee
Sep 5, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Dylan Stephens anyone?
I think we could persuade him to come to us, we could quite possibly be able to get him for a second rounder.
We need a wingman with pace I think Dylan is the perfect player for us and hope we are talking to his management.

From a family of Carlton supporters as well

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I would like Eddie to head up our indigenous programme .. and be an assistant forward line coach.

That's an excellent idea. I think he is done as a player, he could probably play on but IMO we are better if he doesn't. Would be good to have him on the parole in some sort of way such as that.

That's an excellent idea. I think he is done as a player, he could probably play on but IMO we are better if he doesn't. Would be good to have him on the parole in some sort of way such as that.

He has moved his whole family back to Vic ... I would be filthy if they let that superstar walk ... even if he could impart 10% of his forward craft, I would see it as a win.

Edit: ALTHOUGH, the Mines are hopeful he will consider moving back with his family to Kal ... pie in the sky stuff I know. But I would love a champion back here.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Just can't imagine how anyone can mention Marchbank and playing AFL with a straight face.

How long has it been since he played? How long since he played most of a season?

Needs to be rookied at best.

All very good points but he's only 24 and he's still contracted for next season, should be playing around mid 2022, we will know by the end whether he's finally over being injured all the time or whether he is just unable to play AFL football. Next season is make or break for him, I wouldn't be writing him off, not at his age, would be a very timely and strong "recruit" should he come on next season.

bmaurizio

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2004
Singapore
AFL Club
Carlton
Just can't imagine how anyone can mention Marchbank and playing AFL with a straight face.

How long has it been since he played? How long since he played most of a season?

Needs to be rookied at best.
I reckon club will pay out his contract come end season, he’s behind C. Curnow & MM for sustainable OTP time, that’s not an easy feat.

rp84

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal, Philadelphia 76ers
All very good points but he's only 24 and he's still contracted for next season, should be playing around mid 2022, we will know by the end whether he's finally over being injured all the time or whether he is just unable to play AFL football. Next season is make or break for him, I wouldn't be writing him off, not at his age, would be a very timely and strong "recruit" should he come on next season.
Man, I hope you're correct because he was becoming a gun but much younger shorter players have had career ending injuries.

I'm shocked he has a contract for next year. That is entirely irresponsible.

He'd need to play 10 games at a a decent level for me to keep him on the senior list.

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
Man, I hope you're correct because he was becoming a gun but much younger shorter players have had career ending injuries.

I'm shocked he has a contract for next year. That is entirely irresponsible.

He'd need to play 10 games at a a decent level for me to keep him on the senior list.

Considering he's a replacement for Jones who has plenty of footy left in him, he has time.

TBH with his last injury I'd be happy if he finished off with a handful of strong games in the VFL, that would make me go for a 1 year contract. I just want confidence in his body, already have confidence in his ability.

ray8182

All Australian
Sep 11, 2008
Echuca
AFL Club
Carlton
Marchbank, McDonald, Casboult, McGovern and Parks. All can play key defender or second tall defender. All have been mostly injured apart from Parks. Weitering and Jones are very durable. You would have looked at that group before knowing about them missing most of the season and thought our backup key defender depth was fine and it was. Terrible run of injuries. In saying that a young tall defender may be on the cards for the long term.

Overpaid for Williams, Saad a little however both have plenty of good footy left and are elite defenders and sure up our defence for years.

Things aren't as bad as it looks. Would be terrific if Marchbank got his game back together and became that Jones replacement we will be looking for in a few years time. Has the talent to be a top line CHB.

I think that’s an optimistic assessment of our possible key defenders.
McDonald is on the only one you have listed that has played there consistently and has struggled.
Marchbank always injured.
Parks not a key defender. You would have to have no one else.
McGovern has no experience there. Could try him there in a pinch.
Casboult could be a decent backup there. Seems to have knee troubles now.

It’s a bit of a dodgy list in my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

gbatman

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2008
Behind You...
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Justice League
I think that’s an optimistic assessment of our possible key defenders.
McDonald is on the only one you have listed that has played there consistently and has struggled.
Marchbank always injured.
Parks not a key defender. You would have to have no one else.
McGovern has no experience there. Could try him there in a pinch.
Casboult could be a decent backup there. Seems to have knee troubles now.

It’s a bit of a dodgy list in my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Are they any worse than what most clubs have running around in the reserves though? The likelihood that any of them come in and play on the best key forward is pretty slim. A backup tall defender is pretty much there to play a handful of games on the second best tall forward or sit in a hole in defence.

Casboult - Done it before adequately.

McDonald - He's no star but in a good system playing on number 2 forward, and lets face it most teams number 2 tall forward is nothing special, it's within his capabilities.

Marchbank - He's be pushing pretty hard for CHB right now if not owning it if he wasn't injured all the time, should be at full fitness now.

Kemp - Forgot to mention him, playing CHB in the VFL and doing a very good job.

Parks - Probably not up to a key position at AFL level yet.

McGovern - I reckon he would be good on most opposition's number 2.

We could draft a teenager but they are likely to be years away from even being backup however if there was someone we rated later in the draft and other bases are covered I'd have a look for sure. I think our reserve tall defender stocks have been blown up by injuries. We gave up on Macreadie last season so we probably weren't over worried at that point in regards to key defenders.

I think key defender may be something we have to address soon but it's only been an issue this year because of the injury toll, without that we would be quite healthy in that department.

BigFrizz36

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 20, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

We have a first rounder (say pick 9) a second rounder (say pick 30 with father sons etc) no 3rd round selection and then a 4th rounder (say pick 58) so any selections after our first 3 will be in the 70's.

This can change if we trade players out but needs to be taken into account when there are draft discussions. The real question is whether Eddie playing 20 games and mentoring young forwards is worth more to us than pick 76 which might be our fourth pick.

I don't know the answer about keeping eddie on the list but as it currently stands I would prefer him than pick 76.

I rate him as mediocre, I neither like or dislike him. Do a best 22 on here and he's going to be in half, if that of people's teams, is he in your best 22? Is what it is. We're jack of players consistently missing very gettable goals, he's one of the main offenders. Can't just bury your head in the sand while that remains one of the biggest reasons for many of our losses. He might make better than mediocre.

Best 22?

Clubs don't talk about best 22s. They talk about having a deep squad of players who they can rely on to play their role if and when called upon throughout the duration of a season.

When was the last time you heard anyone from club land talk about a best 22? They're a fun exercise for supporters and the media but don't mean much beyond that.

Is he a part of our best side? Maybe. He was there early on in the year so clearly the club thinks he's at least in the conversation. Is he a part of a squad that can take us forward? Absolutely and the club believes so too.

Bury my head in the sand? I'd say that's exactly what's going on when you suggest he's not in our plans because he's not currently playing senior footy. Or that because he 'can't kick' he can't be a part of a good team.

Both are clearly false.

I absolutely referenced the stats that matter

Did you?

You referenced fantasy points, contested possessions, disposals, goals, marks and uncontested possessions.

For a small forward.

Your confidence is misguided.

You just can't handle that fact so select one borderline irrelevant point from my post and attacked that rather than the overall body of evidence - with ZERO counter argument.

Can't handle the fact? 🤣

You tried to use stats to put your case forward, I (and others) pulled you up on the use of stats that aren't even remotely relevant to his role.

Show us how he compares when it comes to stats that actually matter. That might help your case. And tone down the condescending attitude while you're at it - you've been asked to do this previously.

He is crap - the stats prove that - and if you have something to offer lets have it.

Which stats - fantasy points? Where are the hitout stats?

You certainly proved something. I'm just not sure it was what you were trying to.

His point is that however stupid and implausible the things that he says are they must be true.

He's been banging on about Eddie for a while now. Last I checked Eddie had scored the 6th highest amount of goals as a small forward in the comp. He also bangs on about a stat where Eddie isn't in the top 75 in the comp - it's actually the amount of marks that he's taken compared to all forwards, including key position players. Sadly this has no relevance to his overall performance.

Suspect that your not going to change his mind either despite the fact that you are correct. That pretty much sums it all up.

Where does Eddie rank in defensive spoils?

If he's not at least on par with Weitering I'm not sure why we'd bother keeping him around either to be honest.

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
It's all well and good saying you want to keep Betts or E.Curnow on the list, for another year...
But it will be at the expense of a kid/our future...

We must
ListDraft
National DraftDelist or trade a minimum of 3 senior playersTake at least 3 players, either by drafting or Rookie upgrades
Trade PeriodDelist or trade equal or more senior list numbers than coming in
Rookie DraftDelist 2x Rookie Players for MSD picks + If we want to use any picksEither draft or re-rookie players

Our OOC players are listed HERE and of course we can trade anyone on our list...

If you go through the exercise list numbers are so tight...
In my opinion I'd rather address list needs in the off season, start the season with a full list, and free up list spots for the MSD with LTIs. If we don't have any by mid season, then that's a good thing in my eyes!

(That also allows us to keep someone like Betts on the rookie list)

DELIST/RETIRE: Cottrell, Boyd, Murphy, Casboult, Marchbank - payout
TRADE: Petrevski-Seton, Setterfield?

I'd also be open to moving players to the rookie list in order to open more spots on the primary.

Big Delut

All Australian
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Inter, Cubs, Gli Azzurri
When you head into a game with Jack Silvagni as the lone tall forward, who then can't even play there because he has to ruck all game, it's clear there's some issues with the list. Don't have anyone able to fill in if either Weitering or Jones go down either

When did that ever happen? The only game we had Silvagni as the lone tall forward (against North) De Koning rucked a huge portion of the game

Dylan Stephens anyone?
In a heart beat, remember we were going to take him in the draft but Sydney got in first... Then we split our pick...
Has pace and elite by foot, not sure why he hasn't played more for Sydney...

Could be ever bit as good as Cerra, but at a quarter of the price

Nov 3, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sandringham Zebras, Melbourne Renegades
Disappointed that list sizes are remaining the same, but glad that rookies can now spend a 4th year on the list. Lots to unpack here...

CLUBS are set to retain the same list sizes for 2022 while rookies in their third season will be allowed to spend a fourth 'replacement year' on the list after the AFL passed a rule change ahead of the off-season.

The free agency period will run from October 1-8, with the trade period starting on Monday, October 4 to Wednesday, October 13. The draft will again be staged over two nights, with the League planning for the first round to be conducted on Wednesday, November 24 and the rest of the national draft on Thursday, November 25. The rookie and pre-season drafts are being slated for Friday, November 26.

Back