Transfer discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

FFP is out the window with Grealish going to City and also their obsession with signing Kane.

Its inevitable that a salary cap will be brought into the PL.

Unfortunately it will proabably take a few more decent sized clubs to hit the wall before real change is enforced.

Broadcasting is preventing full bleed out, but make no mistake, English football is absolutely broke. Transfer fees aren’t killing leagues, it’s the wage bills.

The continental clubs will go first, starting with Barca. England clubs 5 or years behind.

By the end of the decade there will be a salary cap.

Another push for the super league in 12-24 months, hopefully this time the teams are expelled.

Its inevitable that a salary cap will be brought into the PL.

Unfortunately it will proabably take a few more decent sized clubs to hit the wall before real change is enforced.

Broadcasting is preventing full bleed out, but make no mistake, English football is absolutely broke. Transfer fees aren’t killing leagues, it’s the wage bills.

The continental clubs will go first, starting with Barca. England clubs 5 or years behind.

By the end of the decade there will be a salary cap.

Another push for the super league in 12-24 months, hopefully this time the teams are expelled.

There was a salary cap imposed on L1 and L2 last season. Have a look at how long that lasted.

There was a salary cap imposed on L1 and L2 last season. Have a look at how long that lasted.

And there’s a salary cap that has just cost Barca Leo Messi.

Like I said, it will take a few years, but European football is in a death spin, including England. It will happen.

And there’s a salary cap that has just cost Barca Leo Messi.

Like I said, it will take a few years, but European football is in a death spin, including England. It will happen.

Has it? Reckon Messi stays at Barca despite all this.

Salary caps would kill smaller clubs not save them.

Has it? Reckon Messi stays at Barca despite all this.

Salary caps would kill smaller clubs not save them.

It’s no longer about saving small clubs, it’s about preventing the entire pyramid collapsing.

Broadcast revenue is going backwards in every major league including the PL, which was the only thing currently preventing collapse. COVID has just supercharged it.

Man Utd commercial revenue has stagnated for the last 4 years. Match day revenues may not recover for a while.

Broadcast revue has increased by 36% in the last 5 years. So it hasn’t been an issue of growth.

Wages bills in the same time period are up 60% and they were already disproportionately a high % of total turnover.

It’s no longer about saving small clubs, it’s about preventing the entire pyramid collapsing.

Broadcast revenue is going backwards in every major league including the PL, which was the only thing currently preventing collapse. COVID has just supercharged it.

Man Utd commercial revenue has stagnated for the last 4 years. Match day revenues may not recover for a while.

Broadcast revue has increased by 36% in the last 5 years. So it hasn’t been an issue of growth.

Wages bills in the same time period are up 60% and they were already disproportionately a high % of total turnover.

If it's not about saving small clubs, how on earth do you preserve the pyramid? Hint: the small clubs are the base of the pyramid. They fall over and the entire structure collapses.

If Sky etc. can't offer the leagues sufficient funding they'll split off and set up their own on-demand streaming service. Simples.

I’m not a fan of salary caps. Never have been. It along with drafts breeds mediocrity in sport. FFP and relegation is the right approach.
It saved the AFL. Closed competitions need caps and/or drafts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not a fan of salary caps. Never have been. It along with drafts breeds mediocrity in sport. FFP and relegation is the right approach.

And in a sport with so much plastic amongst supporter bases already, stagnating the quality/competitiveness of smaller clubs would kill off the remaining interest in them.

It saved the AFL. Closed competitions need caps and/or drafts

It would need to be every competition for it to work. You would get the most resistance from oil clubs, it will never happen.

AFL works because it is the only option for elite footy players.

We see A-League salary cap hurting the league with players that otherwise would have stayed chasing big wages in Asian leagues.

FFP is the way to go but done correctly.

What on earth makes you think of football in England as a closed competition?
???? I was replying to a comment that stated ….”I’m not a fan of salary caps. Never have been. It along with drafts breeds mediocrity in sport.” .

So that implies that he is talking about sports that have /have had caps and drafts. One of those is the AFL, hence my comment. I then said that those comps being closed need caps and drafts.

Football is bigger than the AFL.
NFL is pretty big. Caps and drafts serve a purpose in certain closed leagues…don’t think it’ll ever work in European leagues…impossible really

???? I was replying to a comment that stated ….”I’m not a fan of salary caps. Never have been. It along with drafts breeds mediocrity in sport.” .

So that implies that he is talking about sports that have /have had caps and drafts. One of those is the AFL, hence my comment. I then said that those comps being closed need caps and drafts.

??? The discussion is about imposing a salary cap on football in England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back