NO TROLLS Taylor Walker racial slur

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if Optus ditching us impacts the club's decision making regarding Tex's future. Before that I would have thought he'd survive but now I'm not as sure.
Good point.
If it's just being seen by the club as a commercial decision, another sponsor can be found and therefore in spite of Tex damaging the club, this can be fixed.
However, the optics(pun sorry) of a major sponsor choosing to leave as they're ashamed to be associated with our name or reputation... that's a bigger problem.
I know we've had some sponsors pledge their support but I believe any reputational damage will be seen as damage which cannot easily be repaired without Tex being removed from the club.
I hope this is not the case as I believe the club and Tex can work together to get past this problem.
In spite of the club's best efforts to solve this problem, if we risk the situation where a racist player creates a perception that we are a racist club or tolerate racism, even slightly, Tex can't survive. In this scenario, not only will the oppo shame us for years, I believe membership will reduce; perhaps by a lot.
None of these outcomes will be tolerated by the club and members.
Sad as it is.

I don’t know. HiVisBis, why is Young ‘culpable’ for Tex calling him a black campaigner?
I presume he meant because Young struck Crouch behind the play, which is what prompted the comment from Tex.

As a South Australian reading this I find the victimisation and anger directed at everyone but Taylor Walker absolutely appalling. There is no justification or excuse for what happened and at most other workplaces such an offence would result in a dismissal.
The hopeful narrative so many on here are painting whereby he was triggered (and therefore the racial abuse was somehow less heinous), or it was ‘heat of the moment’, ‘white line fever’, ‘just a one off’ only serves to highlight that there is a significant issue in general society. All the anger directed at leaks, wives of ex-players and journalists is especially confusing as they have done nothing wrong.

Racism should be called out, not swept under the carpet. Skin coloured references which precede insults don’t just happen. A 30+ year old should know and do better and it defies belief that he doesn’t.

I'm shocked it's taken this long for us to start losing sponsors.

Wish it had happened on Chapman's watch. No doubt he'd think this is something he could have prevented.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I presume he meant because Young struck Crouch behind the play, which is what prompted the comment from Tex.
Didn't you watch the game?

The hit behind play was early in the 2nd quarter, the comment was made at the quarter time huddle.

All through the 1st quarter you could see both Robbie Young and Andrew Moore harassing, verballing and pushing and shoving etc Crouch whether the ball was in their area or not.

As a South Australian reading this I find the victimisation and anger directed at everyone but Taylor Walker absolutely appalling. There is no justification or excuse for what happened and at most other workplaces such an offence would result in a dismissal.
The hopeful narrative so many on here are painting whereby he was triggered (and therefore the racial abuse was somehow less heinous), or it was ‘heat of the moment’, ‘white line fever’, ‘just a one off’ only serves to highlight that there is a significant issue in general society. All the anger directed at leaks, wives of ex-players and journalists is especially confusing as they have done nothing wrong.

Racism should be called out, not swept under the carpet. Skin coloured references which precede insults don’t just happen. A 30+ year old should know and do better and it defies belief that he doesn’t.
Thanks for your input.

So 3k responses here and where are we - no where - all this has done is create a massive sh*t storm and will divide even more - certainly with the pile on from the media cretins weighing in with gusto - nobody on here knows what was said the context and the actions that led to the comment- Young consoled Tex because he was partly culpable for the comment - leave it there people we are one of the most racist countries on this planet and all you good guys selling your righteousness are hypocrites to the nth degree

Three thousand comments is awesome for awareness of racism. Sure, we anonymous keyboard warriors can have our own view and it's proven impossible to agree with all of them.
However, one thing is certain...
Three thousand comments proves that Australia does NOT want to just leave this alone. How you might choose personally to create a fairer nation is up to each of us. But there is clearly appetite to do so.

Didn't you watch the game?

The hit behind play was early in the 2nd quarter, the comment was made at the quarter time huddle.

All through the 1st quarter you could see both Robbie Young and Andrew Moore harassing, verballing and pushing and shoving etc Crouch whether the ball was in their area or not.
Yeah, I watched it - I thought the comment was the 3/4 time huddle, but happy to be corrected.

I hope we wear the indigenous jumper in rnd 23.
And play our indigenous boys if possible.
Would be good to see the club make a bold and highly visible statement.

While it's great to have a racism discussion and punish Walker for his comments etc I'm not sure this week taught anyone in society anything.

Firstly, the media I think caused more pain to the indigenous community than anything Taylor said. The constant baiting for comment and hounding of anyone indigenous who walks past a microphone I believe was just as racist. Think about it. What Taylor said was kept in house for a couple of weeks. Then it turned to rumour before eventually the media ran around telling everyone and shoving it in every indigenous persons face. That to me is every bit racism. That style of reporting designed to create anger and crucify Taylor for a story, sell papers and ratings cause way more unnecessary hurt. And no one is better for the discussion.

Yet, the racist comment to Aliir was not mentioned because it was deemed too hurtful. Same thing though. Racism is racism. We would have been better served with a frank and focused discussion around the comment to Aliir then what the media did. Served no purpose.

In hindsight I would bet any money I have, based on the media reaction and the hurt the media have caused through the hunt for comment and the race up the pc moral high ground mountain, the Crows and those within who demanded AFL action probably would have backed down.

Think about it, if those inhouse had kept it to themselves and Tex was punished internally and undertook education, Robbie would have never known and had his life turned upside down. What the hell did it serve telling him? Really, it's made his life worse for essentially no reason other than to publicly crucify Tex for profit. No one has learned anything new from this discussion.

On SM-N981B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hope we wear the indigenous jumper in rnd 23.
And play our indigenous boys if possible.
Would be good to see the club make a bold and highly visible statement.
That would only go down as tokenism and players who are white deserving a spot would be racially segregated purely because of colour. That would be worse. Imagine a white pride day and all white players are selected only.

That would only go down as tokenism and players who are white deserving a spot would be racially segregated purely because of colour. That would be worse. Imagine a white pride day and all white players are selected only.

Fair enough.
What could the club do to make a statement in your view?
I understand it's tough but doing nothing feels like a bad strategy.

Fair enough.
What could the club do to make a statement in your view?
I understand it's tough but doing nothing feels like a bad strategy.
We don't need to really overreact and come out with tokenistic gestures. The club made a statement. Taylor's suspended. Time to worry about football.

Good point.
If it's just being seen by the club as a commercial decision, another sponsor can be found and therefore in spite of Tex damaging the club, this can be fixed.
However, the optics(pun sorry) of a major sponsor choosing to leave as they're ashamed to be associated with our name or reputation... that's a bigger problem.
I know we've had some sponsors pledge their support but I believe any reputational damage will be seen as damage which cannot easily be repaired without Tex being removed from the club.
I hope this is not the case as I believe the club and Tex can work together to get past this problem.
In spite of the club's best efforts to solve this problem, if we risk the situation where a racist player creates a perception that we are a racist club or tolerate racism, even slightly, Tex can't survive. In this scenario, not only will the oppo shame us for years, I believe membership will reduce; perhaps by a lot.
None of these outcomes will be tolerated by the club and members.
Sad as it is.
Where did Optus say that was reason for pulling their sponsorship exactly?

So you've gone past Tex making a one off racist comment we know about to him being a racist now it appears from this comment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back