Geelong from 2007-2021: 3 premierships, 5 GF appearances, 11 prelim appearances, 12 top 4 finishes

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL should ban Geelong from drafting, trading or signing free agents for 3 seasons. The AFL talks about equalization, if Geelong wants to cheat the system but laughably fail miserably, then the AFL should force equalization.

More concerning that their measures to keep the competition equal have been more convincingly dodged by Essendon who’ve found 17 different ways to * it up for the AFL since 2004.

well done. With all the different ways s**t sides get assisted year after year you’d think it would be virtually impossible to be that inept for that long. Somehow the bombers have defied the percentages though and managed to do it.
Full credit

Obviously that is not the answer but the current rules are not equal.

No they aren’t. We should be playing all our home games at home. It’s a good observation.

if it wasn’t for the current recruitment rules, btw, that saw the best player of the millennium tabled an offer that was miles better than anything we could give him, there’s every chance that the list of high finishes would include a couple of additional premierships.

if it wasn’t for the current recruitment rules, btw, that saw the best player of the millennium tabled an offer that was miles better than anything we could give him, there’s every chance that the list of high finishes would include a couple of additional premierships.
No, Geelong would've probably had to shed a bunch of players in order to accommodate Gazza's hefty salary

Ablett leaving after 2010 meant you were able to keep the rest of your team together

If Ablett was still on your books in 2015 and earning top dollar, along with Selwood, then it's highly unlikely you would've been able to sign Dangerfield and stay under the salary cap.

No, Geelong would've probably had to shed a bunch of players in order to accommodate Gazza's hefty salary

Ablett leaving after 2010 meant you were able to keep the rest of your team together

If Ablett was still on your books in 2015 and earning top dollar, along with Selwood, then it's highly unlikely you would've been able to sign Dangerfield and stay under the salary cap.

Perhaps. At any rate the recruiting and player movement rules mean that we lost a once in a generation player at our peak so moaning about how the current rules ONLY benefit us is a bit rich. Remember too the foundation on which equalisation is founded is the draft. Which in itself isn’t equal because it rewards mediocrity. (And no I don’t really have a better way of doing it, I’m just saying that by it’s very nature it’s not what I’d call a fair process)

Phenomenal side 2007-2011. Good to really good side most of the other seasons, but for me 2021 is the only year where they don’t feel like pretenders (but still might end up being so).
Long way to go though.....

Saying that... I look at that cats 2007 and 2009 premiership sides and Richmonds 2017 and 2019 premiership era and both those clubs have so much in common its not even funny.

By far the best period in the AFL era. Haven't been the best side in alot of those years that's why they haven't gotten 10 flags or so. But awesome efforr to be near the top.

Historically though teams like Hawthorn 76-91 (7 flags) have them covered but that's in the era of bricklayers and plumbers according to many on here.

There is plenty to say the Hawks fans know all the emotions of the build, the rebuild & the most flags of the AFL era. Geelong fans are entitled to feel happy with their club. The knockers do what they do best, they knock.

Their recruiting/drafting strategy over the journey has been brilliant but having a fortress like Kardinia Park has given them at least an extra 2-3 wins per season in comparison to other Vic teams.

But they can wait until 2022, otherwise us Demonites will move to New Zealand.

On the other hand they get cheated out of home finals against Melbourne teams every year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very likely they would have won 19 (prelim but most likely smash gws in the gf) and 20, they leading both matches comfortably at halftime.
Also the only side to have the Dogs number in 2016.

So much equality right? Free agency working wonders? They are the only team in the league in a regional area and if players want that lifestyle year round then Geelong are their only options

It works for us now, but it is swings and roundabouts. For a long time Geelong was not a desirable place to live in and it affected our ability to bring in players. Right now, it is desirable.

Just secured their 12th top 4 finish out of the last 15 season. Impressive. It's a real shame about the shortcomings of the last 9 seasons though... No premierships. 1 win 4 losses in the prelims (13, 16, 17, 19, 20)

How does this period of dominance rank up there?
It is probably in top ten in history.
Melbourne in 50's and early 60's I suspect is better.
Even off top of my own head I think back to Carlton era before my time in Jesaulenko playing era to back to back flags in early 80's and I can count 12 top 4 finishes but 6 premierships from 8 grand final appearances in that time as the dominant club in league in that era. If Geelong had won the 2008 grand final it would be a bit more up there as making more of all these regular finals series appearances. I think Melbourne in 50's and early 60's is the most dominant era in league history. Hawthorn from 1983 to 1989 were in 7 grand finals in a row which is best sequence of grand finals I seen in my lifetime. They did lose 3 of those though so why it not up there with Melbourne dominance in 50's and early 60's.

Their recruiting/drafting strategy over the journey has been brilliant but having a fortress like Kardinia Park has given them at least an extra 2-3 wins per season in comparison to other Vic teams.

But they can wait until 2022, otherwise us Demonites will move to New Zealand.
Fair point. Think Kardinia Park gives them a comfy 4 or 5 wins in bag to have a head start on clubs without genuine homeground advantages.
Clubs like West Coast get same comfort although you still got to be good to make sure you a decent side to ensure you make use of those advantages.
I think they been the most stable club in terms of recruiting/drafting and developing culture to be a regular contender in last 15 years and Swans the other club same develop their players so well for more than just a short era.

It begs the question:

Have Geelong underachieved or overachieved with Chris Scott as their coach?

I lean towards the latter

Until this season with Hawkins + Cameron up forward (and Richmond out of contention) I've never really rated Geelong as a big premiership threat. I've always felt they were punching a few kegs out of their weight division in all of those Preliminary Finals. Even in last years Grand Final when they led at half time before getting dusted in the 2nd half.... I reckon the Cats have always done as well as they possibly could to get as close as they have.

I think we missed a few due to bad luck/management.

2013, 2016 and 2019 could have turned out differently. Not a slight on the winners who were well-deserved but they’re the ones that stand out to me.

Richmond have had a fantastic 4 year period people are commenting on their fatigue levels from playing finals each year and having shorter preseasons.

Joel Selwodd started in 2007 along with Tom Hawkins.

Joel has played for 15 seasons and has missed finals once, he has played in 34 of them. Tom Hawkins has played for 15 years and missed finals 3 times (he wasn't selected in '07 or '08) he has played in 26 of them.

Dusty in comparison has played in 15.

It's an incredible run. For Joel it's an extra season and a half on most players and 14 shorter preseasons.

Barring injury or suspension, add at least another 2 finals this year for both of them.

Richmond have had a fantastic 4 year period people are commenting on their fatigue levels from playing finals each year and having shorter preseasons.

Joel Selwodd started in 2007 along with Tom Hawkins.

Joel has played for 15 seasons and has missed finals once, he has played in 34 of them. Tom Hawkins has played for 15 years and missed finals 3 times (he wasn't selected in '07 or '08) he has played in 26 of them.

Dusty in comparison has played in 15.

It's an incredible run. For Joel it's an extra season and a half on most players and 14 shorter preseasons.

Barring injury or suspension, add at least another 2 finals this year for both of them.

Yes it's amazing how a team of geriatrics is up there when most players are cooked at 30. Geelong have about 10 of them in their best 22. Must be very good supplements and recovery methods indeed.

Yeah that’s the only way any 30+ year old footballer has ever been able to play respectably good football.

Blicavs
Dangerfield
Duncan
Hawkins
Selwood
Henderson
Higgins
Rohan
Stanley
Smith
Touhy

We're not talking about 1 player. All those players are best 22 and all above 30. It's really to be commended how that many old fogies can still be performing near their peak. Every other club would love an insight as to how they're able to keep their old players bodies right.

Another top 4 finish is nice but this year is now not looking the easiest.
We had our chance with a far better side in 2013 but the loss of Enright and Chapman got us. Most thought Hawthorn was a better or the greatest side ever so it is hardly a choke.
2016 we absolutely blew that prelim final, got hammered.
2017-2020 had to compete with another great side of the modern era so I don’t think that’s choking either. Plus our side is nothing on 2007-11

This year unfortunately now seems a bit of a stretch. Injuries are taking their toll at the back end of the year, we have no continuity and Stewart out for the year has us a mess down back.
It would be a super human effort to win this one. You usually require a bit of luck and we are not getting it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back