Game Day Elimination Final: Sydney Swans vs GWS @3:20PM UT Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I don’t order you to attack, I order you to die. By the time we are dead, other cygnets and swans will have come up to take our place.”

"You see, killbots have a preset kill limit. Knowing their weakness, I sent wave after wave of my own men at them until they reached their limit and shut down." ... the great leader, zapp brannigan

There are no gifts this year, no easy path. Swans have earnt this spot by hard work, great football and sheer determination in a year where it felt like the challenges never stopped and so what is one more on this journey.

The first Elimination Final, no second chances for a team who have dragged themselves up the ladder from 16th to 6th with some of the most exciting football we've seen all year and delighted all who watched them play.

Our 3rd final against GWS and we're due for a change in fortune. Let's not sugar coat this, we've lost two finals by an average of over 40 points :oops: Ouch! But we're not that team anymore, and neither are they. So wipe the slate clean and start afresh. We're 1:1 this season with some great run downs which says both teams are going to play this through to the bitter end, right down to that final siren.

Never have we needed our team to play team football more than now. Never have we needed four quarters of 110% effort and pressure more than today. Because we know that if they give that, we're in this to up to our eyeballs.

“The Giants’ advantage is their score from stoppage differential. They’re +96 points for the season, and Sydney are -41 points,”
“The Swans’ advantage is that they’re the best (scoring from) turnover team in the competition, where the Giants are 14th.

We're like the Ying/Yang of footy, two very different ways of attacking the ball and winning games. GWS are going to clog the corridor, stop us going up through the middle of the ground. Swans are going to have to battle them around the stoppages and run, run run the Giants into the ground by making them chase and keeping the ball out of their very dangerous hands.

There are stars and matchups all over the ground. Toby Greene looms large in Swan fans psyche, he's mauled us more than a few times.

But Lance is in great form, The Chad has returned to best 22 and is probably champing at the bit to get into it, meanwhile Dawson and McInerney are playing like champions.

Isaac Heeney. James Rowbottom. Your time is nigh. Opportunity looms large for these two to step up another level today, we need them to. We don't need Buddy to kick a bag if everyone plays their role and the team does its job properly resulting in multiple opportunities in the forward 50 and our smalls can get busy with it.

Bit of pressure on Rampe today, his form hasn't been great but if every we needed our co captain to step up then its today.

GWS have made their intentions clear. They've picked a big bodied side and are going to try to intimidate and smash our younger crew.

We fear nothing if we attack the ball and the man who holds it, with our pressure we can create our own game on our own terms.

GO BLOODS :largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largeredcircle::mwcirlce:

INS: Chad Warner, James Bell
OUTS: Braeden Campbell (Omitted),Callum Mills (Injured),Robbie Fox (Medi-Sub)

Match Report:

View attachment 1218628
Big shout out to Ticky. 2021 has been a season of unexpected delights for all Swans fans in a time of uncertainty and gloom, and her excellent previews have captured the mood every step of way.

For everyone (like me) feeling the nerves and stress of finals game day, it's an absolute joy to have it back. So much better than sitting back during the finals with no stakes. You can only have the true emotional highs as a fan if you're willing to put it all on the line.

Let's go Swans.

GWS have one gigantic monkey on their back and it's called the 2019 AFL Grand Final.

Do not underestimate how much they were humiliated.

They have not played a final since that humiliation.

They will be extremely mentally fragile.

For everyone (like me) feeling the nerves and stress of finals game day, it's an absolute joy to have it back. So much better than sitting back during the finals with no stakes. You can only have the true emotional highs as a fan if you're willing to put it all on the line.

Let's go Swans.
Damn straight!

Might not be a bad thing to have a few injuries… no over reliance on systems and overthinking… just go hell for leather for the duration and hope it’s good enough.

The thinking-neutral, looking past the anti-Sydney thing, must be licking their chops for this one… The Bud, AA Tom, Box of Chocolates Heeney and our other excitement machines up against a young Giants back six that have quietly got the job done lately even without Davis (could Cameron pull a swifty and bring him in late?)… while down back Himmelberg, Greene and Taranto have beaten better defences than our very own motley crew, that make an art form out of living on the edge… and in the middle, it’s their factory Rolls Royce vs our untested hi-tech spare parts turbo. Fascinating match up really!
Thinking it’ll probably be a little too stressful to watch so I’ll just follow the stats from the match centre and listen on the radio, as our Tassy Bloods provide the difference and get us over the line.

Yes Ticky they have gone for the big bodied side at the expense of speed. They want to bulldoze the packs. That is their intent. We on the other hand have picked a side who rely on swift ball movement and speed. Our outside game is the best in the AFL. Not only that we can extract from stoppages very quickly when players like Hewee, Warner, Rowie, Ollie, Paps and Gulden are in the mids.

So it will be the modern game v Clarko's older style. GWS will try to play tempo footy and hit on the turnover. They will rely on winning the clearances to belt the ball forward. They will attempt to clog the corridor, block the leads and slow us down. We need to be moving all the time. Our boys need to work harder, deliver efficiently and move the ball quickly to bring them undone. We need to turn them over. Force them into high pressure situations where they make errors. Then we need to pounce.

It will be a great game. The old safe footy v daring nouveau footy.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Might not be a bad thing to have a few injuries… no over reliance on systems and overthinking… just go hell for leather for the duration and hope it’s good enough.

The thinking-neutral, looking past the anti-Sydney thing, must be licking their chops for this one… The Bud, AA Tom, Box of Chocolates Heeney and our other excitement machines up against a young Giants back six that have quietly got the job done lately even without Davis (could Cameron pull a swifty and bring him in late?)… while down back Himmelberg, Greene and Taranto have beaten better defences than our very own motley crew, that make an art form out of living on the edge… and in the middle, it’s their factory Rolls Royce vs our untested hi-tech spare parts turbo. Fascinating match up really!
Thinking it’ll probably be a little too stressful to watch so I’ll just follow the stats from the match centre and listen on the radio, as our Tassy Bloods provide the difference and get us over the line.
Remember when a depleted bloods beat Port over there in a final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we'll get beat. They've improved recently, have Greene back this time and we're missing Kennedy and Mills. Pity, I think if we get through Geelong are there for the taking.
I agree about Cats. They play a very old style and got found out against Port. I predicted that one.

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm actually confident today. I just feel like we are going to go against expectations and walk it out of the centre with hickey, papley, Heeney and Chad joining in with the regulars at centre bounces. I just think we have too much pace for them. It will be close until half time and then we will accelerate to victory Lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back