Toby Greene makes contact with umpire - Update: Suspension Increased to 6 weeks on Appeal

What will happen to Toby?

• Gone - 4 weeks or more

Votes: 129 24.3%
  • Gone - 1-3 weeks

Votes: 278 52.5%
  • Fine only

Votes: 99 18.7%
  • Innocent - play on.

Votes: 24 4.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There wouldn't be a game without umpires. The ones I know don't cheat but still cop plenty of abuse and take it on the chin. If you start allowing players to deliberately nudge umpires without penalty, we will be lucky to have any umpires who want to do it.
Local league in Sunraysia has an Umpire drought because of the abuse they cop so its a fair call

It's going to be more than 1-2 weeks.

This wasn't inadvertent or innocent, he aggressively walked towards an umpire and intentionally bumped through him. I think 5 weeks is more likely.

I dislike Stevic as much as the next guy but there is absolutely no room for that in the sport.
Did you play the whole footage? They had a water under the bridge moment after the incident.

Jeez, reading through the thread I thought Toby smashed into the Ump during play or something. Nothing in it at all, a fine should suffice.

Some of you lot need to get a grip

It's more that the only real umpire contact charge in the last few years is the Hawkins incident and he got a week for it (+ the crackdown following, Willie Rioli bum tap on an ump got looked at...). This is the contact Hawkins made. Hard to argue that Green's contact was more minor this...

Should get a week but Toby tax gets him six

You guys were rather silent about Dangers elbow last night.
But where does this ‘Toby tax’ come from? Things like today. That’s why he’s not getting a lot of sympathy.

Suspensions and fines are supposed to be a deterrent. If Toby is non-compliant with the rules more regularly than others, then it should not come as a surprise that he cops punishment harder than others for similar indiscretions. It’s actually what we find in many facets of life. Workplaces, businesses, government regulators, and courts to name a few examples tend to consider a pattern of behaviour when issuing out discipline. AFL’s likely the same.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to see how he explains why he arrogantly bumped into the ump as clearly he was frustrated with the ump and it was like he decided to have a stand off with Stevic… I’m the player and you will move
Could he get away with clumsy? People bump into each other all the time?

There wouldn't be a game without umpires. The ones I know don't cheat but still cop plenty of abuse and take it on the chin. If you start allowing players to deliberately nudge umpires without penalty, we will be lucky to have any umpires who want to do it.
Bang on, let this stuff go and you'll have no community umpires left...then there goes the game. Has to be a week.

Jeez, reading through the thread I thought Toby smashed into the Ump during play or something. Nothing in it at all, a fine should suffice.

Some of you lot need to get a grip

there is nothing in it - no one is saying that there is.

BUT the messaging from the AFL is and has always been that the umpires are completely protected. That you cant touch an umpire, even in passing. Given that, I think he will get a week and a fine. He cant argue that it wasnt deliberate, so I just dont see how he gets off with anything less

But where does this ‘Toby tax’ come from? Things like today. That’s why he’s not getting a lot of sympathy.

Suspensions and fines are supposed to be a deterrent. If Toby is non-compliant with the rules more regularly than others, then it should not come as a surprise that he cops punishment harder than others for similar indiscretions. It’s actually what we find in many facets of life. Workplaces, businesses, government regulators, and courts to name a few examples tend to consider a pattern of behaviour when issuing out discipline.

Great so call it down the middle.
All for him rightly getting a week.

But when danger doesn’t even get mentioned for doing something just as bad as what Tobes originally got 2 weeks for it shows the league is full of s**t allot of the time.

It's more that the only real umpire contact charge in the last few years is the Hawkins incident (and the crackdown following, Willie Rioli bum tap on an ump got looked at...), and he got a week for it. This is the contact Hawkins made. Hard to argue that Green's contact was more minor this...

Yea, I agree with you here but that Hawkins decision was one of the biggest joke of the year. It shouldn't have been more than a fine.

Yea, I agree with you here but that Hawkins decision was one of the biggest joke of the year. It shouldn't have been more than a fine.

Which means it comes down to whether the tribunal is willing to back pedal on their previous decisions, which in fairness we've seen they're willing to do at times, especially when it suits their narrative i.e. they want the best players like Green available to play in finals. But at the same time, umpires are sacrosanct, I just can't see him getting less than two for that, they're not going to want to set the precedent that players can put a shoulder (despite how minor) through an umpire. Just a really bad look from Toby and I think he's going to get his whack.

Great so call it down the middle.
All for him rightly getting a week.

But when danger doesn’t even get mentioned for doing something just as bad as what Tobes originally got 2 weeks for it shows the league is full of sh*t allot of the time.
Look I agree that Dangerfield gets off for things that Toby wouldn’t, but I found that having a history means something when an incident is assessed.

I think that Dangerfield will head the way of Toby if he keeps it up as well in my opinion along with a couple of other players. While he’s getting away with it now, I don’t think it’ll be long until his incidents are scrutinised.

Absolutely no way he gets off. Umpire can’t be touched especially where it’s obvious that Greene was remonstrating about some issue. No matter what he won’t be playing next week. And possibly for the remainder of the year if GWS make the GF. AFL won’t be lenient here and Toby has form (not for umpire contact but general tribunal appearances). Love Toby as a player but has some serious anger issues.

Back