Gil and AFL time to part ways

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Do we think that Gil should step down at the end of the season like in October.

i do.

I think the AFL needs a new ceo and its time that Gil moved on.

AFL needs a past player or something someone more like a player thats played the game and not a private school tie corperate type person that Gil is.

What do we think.

Time for Gil to move on.

Fitzey

Painting The Town Red
Jun 2, 2011
Tas
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Not sure he could of done a much better job over the last couple of years to be honest, not sure where this has come from? Would love to know how many hours that Gill and the team have spent on the phone to State governments and clubs etc over the last couple years, it’d be something crazy and they have done a great job to keep the game going with all the hurdles they’ve had and continue to have.

I’m actually surprised you didn’t mention Richmond in the OP though, at least you’ve moved on from that.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

i do.

AFL needs a past player or something someone more like a player thats played the game and not a private school tie corperate type person that Gil is.

What do we think.

Time for Gil to move on.

Why?
Why now?

Not a fan of Gils here, but its not a good time at this point.

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton

i do.

What do we think.

Time for Gil to move on.

"Do we think"

"like in October" .............. so not really October, but some time 'like, you know' October ??

"I think"

"What do we think"

Hmmm ......... I'm sure you have the best intentions but it may be better if you leave the starting of threads to some of the other posters ...... like .... you know.......... like the better ones.

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
Depends on whether the levels of nepotistic corruption become totally evident to all by cancelling the Perth Grand Final Parade. Rumour in the media is the Vic cartel have manged to find a way to ensure we don't showcase fan-packed, beautiful weather, riverside Perth for a lengthy televised period by saying it's too dangerous and a terror threat.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having an ex player as the CEO of a national organisation as large as the AFL just because he’s an ex player would be a terrible idea.

Say what you want about Gil, but he’s obviously a very intelligent person and had years and years of corporate experience to take a CEO position. You cannot have a CEO who doesn’t have a corporate/business background.

Only have too look at his experience too see he was a good for the role:
- Bachelor of Commerce degree
- Bachelor of Law (Honours)
- Completed a Senior Executive Program at Stanford university

- In 2000, he was employed as a strategy consultant to the AFL
- In 2003, he was appointed as General Manager of Commercial Operations
- In 2008 was appointed Chief Operating Officer.
- In December 2012, he was appointed Deputy CEO.
- Before taking on the CEO role

Unless there is an ex player with that much experience at the head of an organisation, too think they can just walk in and take over is ridiculous.

Whoever takes his position will need too have similar experience too. Not necessarily from within the AFL but from within a large national corporation or sporting code most likely.

Sep 25, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
Depends on whether the levels of nepotistic corruption become totally evident to all by cancelling the Perth Grand Final Parade. Rumour in the media is the Vic cartel have manged to find a way to ensure we don't showcase fan-packed, beautiful weather, riverside Perth for a lengthy televised period by saying it's too dangerous and a terror threat.

The terror threat thing is so dumb.

60k in a stadium and heaps arriving by train? No threat.

But sparsely populated outdoor parade? Big threat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Having an ex player as the CEO of a national organisation as large as the AFL just because he’s an ex player would be a terrible idea.

Say what you want about Gil, but he’s obviously a very intelligent person and had years and years of corporate experience to take a CEO position. You cannot have a CEO who doesn’t have a corporate/business background.

Only have too look at his experience too see he was a good for the role:
- Bachelor of Commerce degree
- Bachelor of Law (Honours)
- Completed a Senior Executive Program at Stanford university

- In 2000, he was employed as a strategy consultant to the AFL
- In 2003, he was appointed as General Manager of Commercial Operations
- In 2008 was appointed Chief Operating Officer.
- In December 2012, he was appointed Deputy CEO.
- Before taking on the CEO role

Unless there is an ex player with that much experience at the head of an organisation, too think they can just walk in and take over is ridiculous.

Whoever takes his position will need too have similar experience too. Not necessarily from within the AFL but from within a large national corporation or sporting code most likely.

Nah. Any idiot could do it. Well not just any idiot, you need to be compliant and say the right things, you just need to be a puppet of the Vic State Government.

Sep 6, 2009
FNQ
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Bears

i do.

What do we think.

Time for Gil to move on.

Could be worse, could be Eddie. Imagine that, he'd Collingwoodise the whole damn comp...we'd all be ****ed

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball

i do.

What do we think.

Time for Gil to move on.
I agree Gil is money his whole basis has beenTV rights more income and now towing to the politically correct which has led to contact dropping therefore stopping in TOO many contests with petty free kicks. So intent on TV audiences BUT seeing it so wrongly that many thousands and thousands of users of TV get to see the confusion and miscalculation the wrong calls made or calls that Don"t warrant penalties. Big or small changes have turned our sport under Gil's watch and Demitriou too a basketball foul styled adjudication and no matter how good it looks when we get to finals the horrible useless unfair over killed rules mess the game the momentum killing for teams we have all seen it Some ignore and take it, most who really know football are mystified lots of times with the comments everywhere "what was that for?".Every week every game some worse then others frees we don't understand rules we can't gather why they were even introduced Really games can be changed by decisions that are so greyed by rules fiddling AND ALL UNDER GILS Watch and Demitriou we can blame for expansion dilution after North and Footscray would not play his game he begins the introduction of money devouring new plastic clubs and gives us TOO MANY TEAMS! Dilutes the standard down and almost gives us the VFA all over again with more than one division. That's Gil McGlachlan to me and AD before him grand ideas no proper preparation as is visible every week lower scoring less skills, and a rules committee to cover up the bad parts they've created over 15 years or more.
So yes Gil goes or gets made to go.Hiw you do that in a dictatorship well who knows but it should happen He may have tried hard but no. One can tell me that the game has not gotten worse with penalties and whistles that's Gil's doing and the sychophants who work under him or on Fixfooty although good blokes they toe the line because they are in cushy well paid easy work?

i do.

What do we think.

Time for Gil to move on.

Eddie is looking for a job

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
sigh

I agree Gil is money his whole basis has been TV rights more income

I mean its literally what the commission was formed to do - generate revenue - and sure if you ignore every other piece of data over his tenure as well I can see how you can arrive at that. Memberships are up, tv audiences are about even, sponsorship is up, participation - both registered players AND overall participation is up, and up until COVID hit attendances were on the way up.

And anyone who says that anyone could have done needs to take a good hard look at themselves. You only need to look at the NRL leadership over the years to know that isnt true. In the 90s, the NRL was basically running neck and neck with the AFL in many areas. That changed with superleague, changed again with the NRL, changed again with the ARLC, and they are still playing catch up.

and now towing to the politically correct which has led to contact dropping therefore stopping in TOO many contests with petty free kicks.

The man has an obligation to take measures the Commission will believe lead to less concussions and other injuries or else they can be charged with neglect. its not like this hasnt happened already, and if the concussion lawsuits have legs then this will cost the game a pretty penny, as it already is costing the NFL in the US.

So intent on TV audiences BUT seeing it so wrongly that many thousands and thousands of users of TV get to see the confusion and miscalculation the wrong calls made or calls that Don"t warrant penalties.

And yet the tv audiences remain strong.

Demitriou we can blame for expansion dilution after North and Footscray would not play his game

Your aware that demetriou and mclachlans work probably saved North and Footscray right? the ASD was not a thing until the 2000s and the competitive balance fund did not exist before 2002. Prior to the Demetriou it was the stated goal of the executives under Jackson to get rid of Victorian clubs.

he begins the introduction of money devouring new plastic clubs and gives us TOO MANY TEAMS!

Thats as arguable as the rationale that same have that there are too many teams....in Melbourne.

Gil McGlachlan to me and AD before him grand ideas no proper preparation as is visible every week lower scoring less skills,

Less skilled players? you should blame the clubs that dont place emphasis on goal kicking, introduced flooding and defensive tactics that actively go against scoring, and recruit athletes rather than footballers.

So yes Gil goes or gets made to go.Hiw you do that in a dictatorship well who knows but it should happen

Clubs can vote no confidence in the CEO.

Last edited:

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Going by the last two AFL CEOs it's not a decision anyone can make bar Gil himself. We were stuck with Andrew Demetriou for a decade. Until he made the call. He lasted 11 years

Gil been a lot better then him and his pretty young for a CEO. Reckon we will have him for at least 5 more years before he considers calling time.

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Brendon Gale ticks pretty much all the boxes but otherwise it's really hard to find someone competent, particularly as sports like to hire from within the sporting bubble rather than open it up to other industries who really have similar challenges. Still, look around the various sporting codes in this country and you soon realise the AFL can do a lot worse than Gil.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's an inveterate liar and has campaignered my club. I'd contribute $50 to have him offed.
Richmond sure seem to have struggled under McLachlan. They were definitely much better under Demetriou, Jackson or Oakley.

I for one remember all those premierships Richmond won in the Demetriou era. So many premierships. Then Gillon took over and they've been hopeless. That's the case right. They definitely haven't won 3 of the last 4 flags in Gils era have they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back