News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

Hawks and Sam Mitchell already adding to there assistant coaching ranks.

whilst the Suns twiddle there thumbs away in Quarantine asking each other.. what do we do now.
stil over 20 assignats in the system uncontracted for next year. Is Stevie J uncontrcted?? Suns should look at him. Or Sanderson.

I was thinking the same. That's about as good a 'plan' as we can put together I reckon.

If Dew improves, great, if not we have one last crack at keeping some players with a decent coach switch.
Vossy to the suns as senior assistant seems like the best thing right now... hopefully Clarko for 2023.. He would help with player retention

Tommy Browne podcast mentions the Vic buzz is that an AFL backed $2mil per season proposal is with Clarkson’s management to join the Suns in 2023.

It’s the worst kept secret right now. Huge for us, just need a ITK to confirm it ;)

I’ll say it again, if we have to pay the angry midget $2M a season then he is coming for the wrong reason and that’s a recipe for disaster.

Just ask the Saints when they coaxed Malcolm Blight out of retirement from up here on the coast, there club imploded

He’d be getting offers of over a million else where. I guess this is just topped up by a sweetener from the AFL.
Money talks…

Gold Coast has emphatically backed Stuart Dew as the club’s senior coach for next season despite another late-season slump for his young team.
Suns chief executive Mark Evans told News Corp the club had never been in doubt about honouring Dew’s contract.

“Stu is our coach for next year. He is contracted through to next season and we think he has plenty of upside as a coach. He has got great relationships with our playing group and our leadership group and he sees the game really well,” he said.

“All the way along we have been talking about what we would add to our program to support him and all other aspects of our group. The football review is still being finalised so we will sit down and discuss it once it’s done. At our best we mixed it with the best teams in the competition but we weren’t able to sustain that from game to game and sometimes within a game.

“We have to address what the gaps are with that and make the right choice from here as to how we improve aspects of our performance.”

Despite reports over the weekend the club’s assistant coaches are contracted and required, including Rhyce Shaw, Josh Drummond, Tate Kaesler and Tim Clarke.

The Suns are open to bringing in a senior assistant after contacting coaches including Michael Voss, and could add another assistant coach to their staff given a football cap lift of $250,000 to $6.45 million per season.

The Suns have had talks with former GWS football boss Wayne Campbell, who is their preferred candidate to take over the head of football role from Jon Haines.

But Campbell is well entrenched in Sydney with a young family, so will have to consider his circumstances which might make it difficult for him to take on the role.

Evans said he was thrilled former North Melbourne coach Shaw had been able to settle into the Gold Coast after he stepped down from his senior role to work on his mental health.

The Suns are keen to re-sign Jack Lukosius, Izak Rankine and Ben King over the summer but it remains to be seen whether players already locked in to 2022 will hold off on deals.

King has been adamant he will see out his contract with the Suns and will not consider trade offers in this upcoming period.

Touk Miller won the Suns’ club champion award this week and is set to sign a long-term contract past his current deal expiring in 2022.

The Suns have considered whether to offer Sydney free agent Luke Parker or Fremantle’s contracted ruck-forward Rory Lobb offers given their need to bring in more experience.

But at this stage they look less likely given they are not yet in the finals window and are keen to consider key forwards to help marking target King.

Rhyce Shaw to be care taker in 2022 if all this Clarkson for 2023 business is correct.
Why would Dew want to coach to only be shown the door

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has a scary similarity too 2014. Didn't make finals. Fell away bad with horrible losses. Sack Bluey and Bring in an "Experienced" coach who could lead us to Finals and then we get a Rocket Eade topping up his retirement fund.

Not Saying Clarko would destroy the club but I wasn't a fan of the premature coaching spill and not a fan of it now. Stability is what this club has never had and must get and maintain for a few years. Back in Dew provide as much support as possible and if we don't see COMPETITIVENESS implement a coaching succession with a senior Assistant aka. VOSS who is ready to coach.

This has a scary similarity too 2014. Didn't make finals. Fell away bad with horrible losses. Sack Bluey and Bring in an "Experienced" coach who could lead us to Finals and then we get a Rocket Eade topping up his retirement fund.

Not Saying Clarko would destroy the club but I wasn't a fan of the premature coaching spill and not a fan of it now. Stability is what this club has never had and must get and maintain for a few years. Back in Dew provide as much support as possible and if we don't see COMPETITIVENESS implement a coaching succession with a senior Assistant aka. VOSS who is ready to coach.
I think this is the right approach. I've been all for Clarkson IF it was to happen this off season, and perhaps it'll still be him for 2023, but all this recent chatter smacks of playing it too cute. A little like Carlton have tried to do – stringing out Teague and holding Lyon aside while they try for Clarkson. Would players like Lukosius and King (with plenty of clubs in their ear) really be wiling to donate a year to a caretaker coach while waiting for Clarkson?

It could end up Carlton-like real quick.

I dont think you could ever compare rocket with Clarko... seriously .....

5 years of bottom 3 failure isn't a reliable indicator of future success
Not really sure what your saying here.
McKenna only had the suns in the bottom 3 in 2011 and 2012.
Dew in 2018,19 and 21.

My point being we rushed mckenna out in 2014 with our impatience for success thinking the experienced rocket could give it to us. And I hope we don't mark Dew's papers just yet as he should be given the opportunity to see out his contract after rebuilding the suns considering the rough journey he has had.
2018 season impacted by comm games and cutting out the dead wood from our club.
2019 fresh start with new assistants
2020 covid shortened season
2021 covid impacted season forcing alot of home games interstate.

Clarkson is a good coach no doubt about it but the instability or power struggle in the coaching ranks and higher up kills footy clubs. Just look at Collingwood and Carlton this year. Whatever happens it needs to be a seamless as possible.

With Port Adelaide officially out, we could see more clarity on Voss' potential move to the GC this week.
Geelong are out as well and Chris Scott suggested it may be time for a break. The reason I bring this up is because Caro has said multiple times that the AFL have been pressuring C.Scott to consider coaching us in the future.

Geelong are out as well and Chris Scott suggested it may be time for a break. The reason I bring this up is because Caro has said multiple times that the AFL have been pressuring C.Scott to consider coaching us in the future.
I don't really want him. He seems quite arrogant tbh. Also, if he was any good he would've won a premiership with a team he curated not just the one in 2011 with the premiership team he was gifted from Bomber!

I don't really want him. He seems quite arrogant tbh. Also, if he was any good he would've won a premiership with a team he curated not just the one in 2011 with the premiership team he was gifted from Bomber!
he's missed finals once in 10 years, and if you look at their current list, it's not because they have an insane amount of talent right now.

This year alone they were top 4 and thats with a very old Selwood, a declining and injured Dangerfield, and Duncan, Guthrie and Cameron spending a long time on the injury list.

Their only real elite players this year were Hawkins, Stewart (mature age late round draftee) and maybe Blicavs (category B rookie).

Amazing development, a good game plan and astute trading has kept them in contention year after year. I'd be all over it if it was an option.

1. Clarko
2. Either Scott
3. Hinkley

I think the assumption is that the C.Scott intimately understands the challenges that come with running a football in club in Queensland from his 14 years with the Brisbane Bear/Lions and has maintained an extremely competitive team at Geelong for a decade now. It looks like a winning combination on paper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back