2023/2024 Gold Coast Draft & Trade periods

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Swapping out a high draft pick in Will Brodie for another "potential""big bodied" high draft pick midfielder who no doubt will demand the same exorbitant salary to stay with us before he shows anything (with the potential to leave when he actually does)
I'm not sure we're solving anything here
You're just gambling
I'm all for bringing in Parker, but enough with the expensive unproven 18yo's

Is that meant for me? I’m just saying I’d rather Anderson over Horne-Francis

I’ve been all for Parker but too bad he’s signed on for 4 years now

Amazed Dewey can’t get a single Sydney player up here after all that time as assistant coach

...and with all of those great relationships he had

Why would Parker want to leave? Sydney are a finals team, with a better list demographic than us. All we could offer is money and that isn't everything.
Agreed but just thought he’d be able to bring some good experienced players up here to help out - bit like Fagan did

We aren't attractive, Brisbane are. Different situations
They weren't when he first got there. Fagan got Hodge and Cameron up there when they were coming off a wooden spoon.

Jarryd Lyons, Lincoln McCarthy, Lachie Neale, and Marcus Adams all traded the year brisbane finished 15th win 2 less wins than we had this year.

Dew's recruitment has been dogshit and we're in a better striking position than Brisbane were at the end of 2017.

They weren't when he first got there. Fagan got Hodge and Cameron up there when they were coming off a wooden spoon.

Jarryd Lyons, Lincoln McCarthy, Lachie Neale, and Marcus Adams all traded the year brisbane finished 15th win 2 less wins than we had this year.

Dew's recruitment has been dogshit and we're in a better striking position than Brisbane were at the end of 2017.
Better list, kids not leaving, actual Veterans on the list to help shape culture. We still don't look attractive as we have a history of capitulation when we look to have turned a corner. If I was an AFL player, Brisbane at the end of 18 is more attractive than we are now.

Better list, kids not leaving, actual Veterans on the list to help shape culture. We still don't look attractive as we have a history of capitulation when we look to have turned a corner. If I was an AFL player, Brisbane at the end of 18 is more attractive than we are now.
Recency bias there. Brisbane had just as bad retention issues as us up until that wave of 2016 players have come through and even then it wasn't known how committed they were until about 2018.

in the 4 years prior to Fagan they'd lost: Sam Docherty, Elliot Yeo, Jared Polec, Billy Longer, Patrick Karnezis, Joel Patfull, Jack Redden, James Aish, Matthew Luenberger, and Pearce Hanley (and while many of these guys are not guns of the competition, at they time they were highly rated first round picks at the end of their first two year deals)

And only gained: Trent West, Allen Christensen, Dayne Beams (came home for his dad), Ryan Bastinac, Josh Walker, Jarred Jansen, and Jack Frost

and then in his first two off seasons moved on Tom Rockliff (retired), Josh Schache(fringe), Sam Mayes (fringe), and Dayne Beams (retired)
and recruited Charlie Cameron (2xAA), Luke Hodge (retired but was in a mentor role), Lachie Neale (2xAA, Brownlow medalist), Lincoln McCarthy (36 goal small forward this year), Jarryd Lyons (gun), and Marcus Adams (good key defender)

Dew on the other hand has moved on some very talented players, and has really only gotten any of our good recruits - Greenwood and Ellis over the line by offering them money and years that their previous club wouldn't. He also delisted Lyons, traded Wright for peanuts, lost Martin for nothing and brought in Atkins on 400k a year for 4 years.

Fagan is clearly a lot better at recruiting than Dew and I don't believe its because Brisbane were a 'more attractive' prospect at the time.

Recency bias there. Brisbane had just as bad retention issues as us up until that wave of 2016 players have come through and even then it wasn't known how committed they were until about 2018.

in the 4 years prior to Fagan they'd lost: Sam Docherty, Elliot Yeo, Jared Polec, Billy Longer, Patrick Karnezis, Joel Patfull, Jack Redden, James Aish, Matthew Luenberger, and Pearce Hanley (and while many of these guys are not guns of the competition, at they time they were highly rated first round picks at the end of their first two year deals)

And only gained: Trent West, Allen Christensen, Dayne Beams (came home for his dad), Ryan Bastinac, Josh Walker, Jarred Jansen, and Jack Frost

and then in his first two off seasons moved on Tom Rockliff (retired), Josh Schache(fringe), Sam Mayes (fringe), and Dayne Beams (retired)
and recruited Charlie Cameron (2xAA), Luke Hodge (retired but was in a mentor role), Lachie Neale (2xAA, Brownlow medalist), Lincoln McCarthy (36 goal small forward this year), Jarryd Lyons (gun), and Marcus Adams (good key defender)

Dew on the other hand has moved on some very talented players, and has really only gotten any of our good recruits - Greenwood and Ellis over the line by offering them money and years that their previous club wouldn't. He also delisted Lyons, traded Wright for peanuts, lost Martin for nothing and brought in Atkins on 400k a year for 4 years.

Fagan is clearly a lot better at recruiting than Dew and I don't believe its because Brisbane were a 'more attractive' prospect at the time.
Im not arguing Dew isn't a bad recruiter, the whole club has a whole has always been poor at that. We've never been able to attract anyone of note bar Ablett. The only AA level player we ever attracted was Malceski and he was ****ed when he got here.

Im just saying Brisbanes win/loss total in 18 wasn't indicative of their clear improvement from 17, they where in so many games, didn't get flogged often and had an impressive young core to build around.
We have a young core who still get flogged and a poor list demographic, we are still a few seasons from challenging at the very least, Brisbane did a fantastic job of recruiting and finding talent, Fagan is also clearly a much better people manager than Dew. But I still maintain that package made Brisbane a better looking prospect than us now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So it seems like Bodhi Uwland is an excellent chance to be academy drafted by us this year and it has been suggested that he is considered a genuine first round talent in this year's nation draft. Uwland is a Burleigh junior and is currently playing for the Broadbeach seniors in the QAFL finals series. He took part in their four point Semi Final victory over the highly fancied Labrador Tigers on Saturday which means Uwland will get to line up for Broady in the QAFL Grand Final next weekend. He could join the list of guys we've drafted who won a QAFL Premiership in their draft year like Caleb Graham and Jacob Dawson. Bodhi is a true Gold Coaster who has spent his whole life in our city and went to All Saints Anglican School. He's a powerful midfielder that can also play across halfback and half forward if needed. It'll be nice to add some more first round midfield depth to our list and we all hope Bodhi will be able to make the transition from VFL to AFL footy next year. Keep an eye out for Bohdi's younger twin brothers (who are both already in our academy) in a few years too!

5aNv9OR.jpg

So it seems like Bodhi Uwland is an excellent chance to be academy drafted by us this year and it has been suggested that he is considered a genuine first round talent in this year's nation draft. Uwland is a Burleigh junior and is currently playing for the Broadbeach seniors in the QAFL finals series. He took part in their four point Semi Final victory over the highly fancied Labrador Tigers on Saturday which means Uwland will get to line up for Broady in the QAFL Grand Final next weekend. He could join the list of guys we've drafted who won a QAFL Premiership in their draft year like Caleb Graham and Jacob Dawson. Bodhi is a true Gold Coaster who has spent his whole life in our city and went to All Saints Anglican School. He's a powerful midfielder that can also play across halfback and half forward if needed. It'll be nice to add some more first round midfield depth to our list and we all hope Bodhi will be able to make the transition from VFL to AFL footy next year. Keep an eye out for Bohdi's younger twin brothers (who are both already in our academy) in a few years too!

5aNv9OR.jpg
He is draftable but anyone suggesting he is a first round talent has rocks in their head. I'd be surprised if anyone bids on him before the 3rd round if at all.

Im not sure yet, I don't think we know what our options are as of right now. I don't think we should be given pick 19 but im under the impression we will be.
Yeah, I think the general feeling is that pick stays. Hasn't been said otherwise at this point. And being bottom 4 this year prob increases that chance.

5aNv9OR.jpg
Have watched him play this year and he looks good but if they are going to get him they need the start the delistings, now Rosa's stays that's a full list of 38. If you add Moyle, Townsend and Nicholls thats 41 . A normal list is 44 , so if the suns the only have 3 picks (3 to be demoted from senior to rookie) no room for academy. If they keep the extra picks they will probably keep the two overseas players which brings it to 43, list spots are very tight as the Suns have a bad habit of giving ordinary players ie MacPherson, McLennan and Graham long term contracts but it then affects long term flexibility and list balance

I remember everyone thinking raynor would leave brissy at the first chance he got...

At the moment, Suns got 46 players, 38 on senior list (max number), 6 cat A and 2 cat B rookies. I can't see AFL reducing Suns list to 44 as it would mean to de-list min 5 more players just to fit 3 required draftees before even considering bringing in at least one ruck/forward player and couple of academy kids.

Let's say if we trade out just 1 player (Brodie) and bring in 3 required draftees, 3 academy kids (from Stevens, Bella, Uwland, Harris) and 2 players (from current rumours Chol, CCJ, Lobb, Dunstan, Casboult) that would mean Suns still need to de-list 9 players to fit into 44 players list. If Suns are allowed to have 49 players list as in 2021 (38 senior + 9 cat A + 2 cat B), that would mean de-listing 4 more players.

De-list candidates: all current rookies except Moyle, cat A - Moyle, Townsend, Conroy, Fyfe, Nicholls, Murtagh, cat B - Ace, Towey. It also depends if some current or incoming rookies can be moved to cat B.

De-list from senior list and re-rookie candidates: Macpherson, McLennan, Thompson, Graham. Min 3 required at the moment to make space for 3 draftees.

Last edited:
At the moment, Suns got 46 players, 38 on senior list (max number), 6 cat A and 2 cat B rookies. I can't see AFL reducing Suns list to 44 as it would mean to de-list min 5 more players just to fit 3 required draftees before even considering bringing in at least one ruck/forward player and couple of academy kids.

Let's say if we trade out just 1 player (Brodie) and bring in 3 required draftees, 3 academy kids (from Stevens, Bella, Uwland, Harris) and 2 players (from current rumours Chol, CCJ, Lobb, Dunstan, Casboult) that would mean Suns still need to de-list 9 players to fit into 44 players list. If Suns are allowed to have 49 players list as in 2021 (38 senior + 9 cat A + 2 cat B), that would mean de-listing 4 more players.

De-list candidates: all current rookies except Moyle, cat A - Moyle, Townsend, Conroy, Fyfe, Nicholls, Murtagh, cat B - Ace, Towey. It also depends if some current or incoming rookies can be moved to cat B.

De-list from senior list and re-rookie candidates: Macpherson, McLennan, Thompson, Graham. Min 3 required at the moment to make space for 3 draftees.

With our current draft pics and rumours of chasing Chol and CCJ our list is a mess. Hopefully we can get it together

With our current draft pics and rumours of chasing Chol and CCJ our list is a mess. Hopefully we can get it together
Totally agree , believe at least Nicholls is contracted and sure Towey seems confident of coming back.so that muddy the waters further , they have to raise the performance recontract bar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back