Preview Changes vs Western Bulldogs - GRAND FINAL - Saturday, 25 September, 7:15pm AEST - NO CHANGE

Remove this Banner Ad

If: May injured, Smith fit
OUT May
IN Smith

IF: May injured, Smith not fit
OUT May
IN Declase

IF May fit
NO CHANGE

JONES MEDI SUB

💙💙

ONE MORE GAME BOYS, ONE MORE GAME

Last edited by a moderator:
If: May injured, Smith fit
OUT May
IN Smith

IF: May injured, Smith not fit
OUT May
IN Declase

IF May fit
NO CHANGE

JONES MEDI SUB

💙💙

ONE MORE GAME BOYS, ONE MORE GAME
I was totally spewing when they put May back on. It looked like a very mild hammy. I thought we would wrap him in cotton wool and give him every second of the two weeks to get up for the GF. I really hope he hasn't ruled himself out by playing further on his injury. Time will tell. Would be heartbreaking if May missed it - he's a big part of how we got here. Bloody sucks that every year there's a story like this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was totally spewing when they put May back on. It looked like a very mild hammy. I thought we would wrap him in cotton wool and give him every second of the two weeks to get up for the GF. I really hope he hasn't ruled himself out by playing further on his injury. Time will tell. Would be heartbreaking if May missed it - he's a big part of how we got here. Bloody sucks that every year there's a story like this.

I was shocked they put May back on as well, the game was looking almost over despite it being so early when the injury happened.

I can only assume the medicos couldn’t find anything obviously severe and May either lied and said he felt good, or he actually felt good.

May surely can’t be 100% good in two weeks, however I’m sure they will risk him. I think the medical sub choice will depend on the opponent.

If it’s Dogs, their tall forwards don’t look too threatening aside from Naighton so the sub should be a running player (not Jones, no room for sentimentality). Jordon can play multiple positions so stick with him.

If it’s Port, they run with three genuine big talls even without Georgiades, so May potentially breaking down in-game is more problematic.

As much as I’m not a Joel Smith fan, he is athletic and flexible to be able to play on talls and smalls, so perhaps it’s him if fit.

I wouldn’t be shocked to see Hunt in the 22 given how many dangerous small forwards Port have, but he could perhaps be the sub. Come on late and fresh to use his speed, or if May breaks down Hunt comes on and Rivers needs to try to do a job on a tall.

Completely left field - Daw or Mitch Brown? Very unlikely given they’ve played and trained as ruck and forward respectively, but they have both played as a back previously. I don’t even know if Mitch Brown is in Perth or fit.

Finally, Tom McDonald was on Jeremy Cameron very late. I’m not sure if that was just a random handover match up, or whether McDonald was genuinely playing back once May subbed out and Lever was being protected along with Gawn, Oliver and Petracca.

McDonald isn’t giving a huge amount forward although was improved last night. Maybe he’s the May “break glass in emergency” contingency for Grand Final.

If May isn't 100%, J. Smith on standby to replace him.

As much as it would be a nice gesture to put Jones as medisub, I'm not sure we'll do it. I was hearing his wife is due soon anyway so e might even be headed back to be with his family.

I think Melbourne is playing mind games with May's hammy. He seems fine. The limp in that video looks fake or exaggerated.
No way would he be running around post match if it was serious.
If there is a minor lingering issue with May then thats the end of the medi sub slot question. It goes to Hunt/Hibberd/Smith.
Jones is heading back to Melbourne shortly anyway for family reasons.
The CUP awaits him in late Sept. Its his as much as anyones.

It didn't look like May was iced up at the end of the game so the club medics can't be that concerned about it.

Do we potentially play with Smith as the mediSub?

To be honest, I want Hunt as the sub

He's versatile, can play forward or back and his pace is an asset. Think he brings a lot more to the table than JJ as a sub at this point.

A bit more experience to this young team isn't a bad thing on GF day either

Remove this Banner Ad

Back