Past George Hewett - free agent to Carlton, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

zQRnVjAT.jpg

George Hewett

George Hewett is regularly praised in the media by his teammates and coach John Longmire for his steadfast reliability. Regardless of whether the 2013 draftee is tasked with winning the footy or blanketing a ball magnet, he has the full trust of the Sydney Swans camp. Dustin Martin, Patrick Cripps and Shaun Higgins are just some of the gun midfielders Hewett has shut down in his unheralded career as a Swan. The South Australian carved out a career-best season in 2019 en route to finishing second in the Bob Skilton Medal voting, joining star duo Dane Rampe and Luke Parker on the podium.

George Hewett
DOB: 29 December 1995
DEBUT: 2016
DRAFT: #32, 2013 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Broughton-Mundoora (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Not criticising the rest of your post Ted at all, just pulling the number out for a quick point.

Next year the average AFL salary (including all the no-hopers, rookie listers, and new draftees) is $350k. There is no way that a player like Hewett who was picked every week if available would be signed on below the AFL average wage. He might well be on more than that right now, and probably fair enough too.
Yeah very true SF51. I was just pulling out a number not really thinking about it properly. More just showing emphasis on one figure against another.
But you are spot on.:)

Are we sure he still wants to stay? Treated pretty badly by the club with no contract offer till now
He wanted to stay last year. Idk, even in the finals he bought in.
McDonald was shopped around last year
Amon shopped around at Port

Players understand it.

Snippet at the bottom of this article suggests Hewett could become a Blue, it would be a bad off-season indeed if we lost both Dawson and Hewett...

Snippet at the bottom of this article suggests Hewett could become a Blue, it would be a bad off-season indeed if we lost both Dawson and Hewett...

Maybe we need to bottom out in salary cap terms before we can rise again. Who knows? Is this the pain before the gain?

Herald sun reporting 4 years at 450k per season

This has literally been said for about 3 weeks - basically from the monday or tuesday after we lost. I'd say that there was already a deal on the table for him from the blues and the swans told him they couldnt afford to match

Good luck to him. The kind of big-bodied midfielder they need to back up Walsh and Cripps.

So we saved Parker, Stephens, McLean, lost Hewett and Dawson. About as good as could be expected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Key stats in last game as a Swan: 19 disposals (73% effective), 3 score involvements, 13 tackles (next highest on ground was Hopper with 9).
And we don't want to pay the 25 year old defensive midfielder $450k per year?
Words fail me.

It's certainly not great. I would have thought with Dawson leaving we'd be able to match.

Maybe we're still holding on to hope that we can keep Dawson, that it will be another ROK situation?

Or maybe we've got a trade/free agency play of our own up our sleeve.

I love George and have been following him since he was drafted. I've loved his amazing kicking off the left boot when he got into trouble as well as the fact that he seemed to have time in a contest. He has been our best defensive mid for a few years now.

However.

I think that, although the footy department may feel the same, there comes a time when you know that the player won't be getting any better than that. He is what he is - a good footballer and role player - and will probably never tear a game apart. Now, if the footy dept thinks that we have more talented replacements coming through and that if Hewett stays he may start to see some time in the ressies as depth as we try to develop those behind him, then they would probably feel that they owe it to him to maximise his financial returns at this stage of his career by taking advantage of free agency.

If we had signed him for 4 years at $450k but in 2 years he is a depth player, then it would be a terrible decision - as much as we all love George now and know that he may be worth it at the moment. However, if Carlton gives him a good contract and don't have many players behind him to push him out in the next four years, then to encourage him to explore that is the right thing to do.

I see this as a win/win for player and club, but I will still not enjoy seeing him in blue.

Hewett & Dawson moving on leaves us with around an extra $1M in our cap.
Not completely sure about that. I think the Hewett money would have already been accounted for because we have been planning this for 12 months. Also, I suspect that the money we offered Dawson may have been about $500-600 per season on average for the next five years. My suspicion is that Dawson wanted a couple of fairly lucrative years before RFA, however we could only do that if we backended the deal over five which would mean a lower amount for the first 2 (because of our cap) and then increasing after that.

would hate to see George go, but if he wants to go home and Carlton are prepared to pay that much for his services good luck to him. Was great for us this year, and I'm not using that word lightly. He was great. Reminds of Kirk how he is able to stop his man from having an impact while rarely wasting a disposal. A real team player. Good luck George.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back