Past Jordan "I don’t think Sydney fans should be nervous at all" Dawson: Grand Theft Completed, traded 2021 to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the swans social media accounts replied to fans saying they were sad posting the Jordan Dawson news. Think it caught everyone by surprise. Hes young, young people make dumb decisions. Hope he changes his mind somehow.

Nah, there's such thing as loyalty.

I dunno, I think it's a complicated thing. There's loyalty and then there's obligation. Forcing yourself and your partner to live and work in a state where you don't want to live and work just so you can appease the fans and the coaches who are used to seeing players come and go all the time... that borders on obligation.

I don't think we should knock the guys who just can't fall in love with the club in the way we want them to, but more we should really make note of and praise those who do fall in love with the club and make it their spiritual and actual home. Like JPK and Parker, who both started as Victorian boys, but have made the club their life. Hopefully there are guys of their ilk in the next generation.

Officially completes the Dunkley non-draft decision since Dawson was the only thing we could hang our hat on with that.

this argument only kind of makes sense if he was turning his back on his football career.

But he’s not.

he’s got multiple job offers to continue to play football, for equal or more money, in a city that apparently he’d prefer to live in.

why should he stay here? To appease a group of fans that would turn on him were he ever to hit an extended parch of poor form?
He didn't turn his back on his footy career.

He turned his back on us fans, the Swans football department and worst of all his teammates. All while they're building to something special

I dunno, I think it's a complicated thing. There's loyalty and then there's obligation. Forcing yourself and your partner to live and work in a state where you don't want to live and work just so you can appease the fans and the coaches who are used to seeing players come and go all the time... that borders on obligation.

I don't think we should knock the guys who just can't fall in love with the club in the way we want them to, but more we should really make note of and praise those who do fall in love with the club and make it their spiritual and actual home. Like JPK and Parker, who both started as Victorian boys, but have made the club their life. Hopefully there are guys of their ilk in the next generation.

I think the biggest gripe I have is we always seem to get well under what the value is. I can’t remember the last time we seemed to get what we deserve for all these players we lose. Quality players and we get second round picks or late first rounders or players who "fill a need".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the biggest gripe I have is we always seem to get well under what the value is. I can’t remember the last time we seemed to get what we deserve for all these players we lose. Quality players and we get second round picks or late first rounders or players who "fill a need".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No doubt, I share your frustration there, but it's not the individual's responsibility for us fans to get the outcome we want from the trade. That's on our list management staff. Hopefully they play hardball as much as they can here.

When was the last time a Swans player had such a bitter farewell? Not used to it.

The 2013 Mumford trade to GWS in the fallout to landing Buddy springs to mind as we were unable to offer a contract and GWS swooped and he has held a chip on his shoulder ever since.

But in terms of how the trade request was made and how the club and the fans reacted the Jolly trade to Collingwood in 2009 would spring to mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even the swans social media accounts replied to fans saying they were sad posting the Jordan Dawson news. Think it caught everyone by surprise. Hes young, young people make dumb decisions. Hope he changes his mind somehow.
About as much chance as one of these trotting down Stacey St, Nugg

Also (very very small brightside).

We have likely been focusing on shifting around contracts to make space for this "attractive" long term offer to Dawson.

May allow us some space to start signing up some younger players to long term contracts.

He didn't turn his back on his footy career.

He turned his back on us fans, the Swans football department and worst of all his teammates. All while they're building to something special
That's tne unusual thing.
We are on tbe up.
Anyway, enough energy lost on him tonight.

Long may his new club flounder.

Meh , another lost to "homesickness" , not the first, won't be the last.
I've said it before but COVID circumstances aside, I think this homesickness is BS. These guys have everything laid on for them, and it's not like they're living on the other side of the world from their families. Couple of hours max in a plane for most of them. Cry me a river.

We all laughed at Archie Perkins saying he didn’t want to leave Vic.

But at least he had the courage to say it. And as a 17 year old, leaving family would be a bit daunting.

Dawson, on the other hand, spun a bulls**t, misleading line, then declared (as a 24 year old, mature man) that he “wants to be close to his family”. And in doing so, turned his back on the only club that gave him an opportunity.

All respect for Dawson is gone.

And if we do OK out of the trade, I’ll be fine with him buggering off.

It just makes you appreciate the Jake Lloyds of this world who have stuck fast, despite getting offers thrown at them.

No doubt, I share your frustration there, but it's not the individual's responsibility for us fans to get the outcome we want from the trade. That's on our list management staff. Hopefully they play hardball as much as they can here.

Personally, my read on this is the club does the right thing by the player in a trade if they do the right thing by the club when requesting a trade.

Trade request was always kinda expected even though we tried our best to keep him, he personally never led us on and he left on good terms with the club and the playing group in the end.
I thought the post was in reference to a bitter farewell from this board which feels way more frequent. :p

But yeah, we're usually professional when it comes to these matters and the way Dawson went about this is poor form.

All eyes are on the list management team now, at the end of the way footy is a business and players will leave, but we really need to start ensuring we're appropriately compensated when it happens.

This is now the 2nd time in my sports fandom that I have had a player lie or turncoat on their word about staying and its too many.

Looking at you LaMarcus "I want to be the greatest Blazer ever" Aldridge

Personally, my read on this is the club does the right thing by the player in a trade if they do the right thing by the club when requesting a trade.
I'm looking forward to the day when clubs can send players to a club that offers the best trade. Not for FA but for players that have barely given the club that drafted them nothing. There are 10 Vic clubs so don't choose one.
Since he was drafted & for all he's been paid, we got one qualty year out of him.
That's it. A big investment into him from the club. Our recruiters are starting to get things wrong when it comes to interviewing draftees trying to determine if they will be lost to the go home factor.
This isn't finished yet.
Stevens, Gould. It explains why we get spooked into 4 & 5 year deals for these young blokes. We'll keep bleeding young talent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back