Recruiting James Hird Academy (Father/Son and Next Generation)

Remove this Banner Ad

Done some more digging and my word has young Koby Bewick made a decent resume already

2016 Under 11 EDFL Div 5 club best and fairest - 7
2017 Under 11 EDFL Div 5 club best and fairest - 8
2018 Under 11 EDFL Div 2 3rd League best and fairest - 9
2019 Under 11 EDFL Div 1 League best and fairest - 10
2020 Covid - 11
2021 Under 12s EDFL Div 1 37 goals from 11 games, named in Victorian under 12s squad and maybe League Best and fairest to come? -12
So he won the under 11s every year except the year when he was actually 11?

Done some more digging and my word has young Koby Bewick made a decent resume already

2020 Covid - 11
2021 Under 12s EDFL Div 1 37 goals from 11 games, named in Victorian under 12s squad and maybe League Best and fairest to come? -12
Gee, an u11 B&F at the age of 7 is a fair effort

2020 Covid - 11

Yeah but is he a redhead?

I feel this is the only given of the entire thing.

If the kid isnt a ranga, then Boris has done some mighty fine scouting of adopted kids
Or, you know, somehow split his DNA in half and grafted it on to someone else's entirely different DNA. Sounds crazy, but if anyone has worked out how to do this yet, I bet it was Boris.

I mean a lot of those feats where posted in the JHA newsletter but I’m sure a fair few supporters didn’t really read them 😂
Oh hahaha, i never get it for some reason

I thought you did a deep dive in some kids life haha

Unfortunately league changed rules that no top 20 bid can be matched this year and no top 40 bid can be matched next year. Unfair when a club gets the best player in the draft (JUH last year) and when other clubs get a player they can’t access them.
Joke that

North got Thomas
Freo got Henry
Collingwood got Quaynor
Bulldogs got JUH

then they decide nah fu** it change it
IMO when the rules changed it should have been that they recorded the club who'd had the most points used on NGA (probably Bulldogs) at the end of 2020. Then every club below that could use the same number of points (minus historical ones) until they were exhausted to bid on players in the top 40.

Would have evened out the advantage that those clubs above had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO when the rules changed it should have been that they recorded the club who'd had the most points used on NGA (probably Bulldogs) at the end of 2020. Then every club below that could use the same number of points (minus historical ones) until they were exhausted to bid on players in the top 40.

Would have evened out the advantage that those clubs above had.
That would be an interesting way to do it. Instead of the 20% discount regardless of pick, just give them a budget of like... 250 points a year discount that they can bank for up to 2 years or something. Over and above that there's no discount, and they pay the entire cost or go into deficit. So if you're getting a lot of father-son/NGA/Northern Academy players then you only get a discount up to a point, and if they go closer to the top of the draft then the advantage isn't massive, though they can still match at full price.

That would be an interesting way to do it. Instead of the 20% discount regardless of pick, just give them a budget of like... 250 points a year discount that they can bank for up to 2 years or something. Over and above that there's no discount, and they pay the entire cost or go into deficit. So if you're getting a lot of father-son/NGA/Northern Academy players then you only get a discount up to a point, and if they go closer to the top of the draft then the advantage isn't massive, though they can still match at full price.
I was more saying that if the Bulldogs had used 2400 points, and we'd used (say 700), then we can bid on future NGA players in the first 40 picks as long as their (discounted) points are less than 1700. So if one of our NGA's in 2022 cost 1000 points discounted, our tally would go down to 700 if we matched.

When our tally goes below the points to match pick #40, we no longer have any NGA access.

The only clubs who would keep investing in NGAs would be those who have spare points.

I was more saying that if the Bulldogs had used 2400 points, and we'd used (say 700), then we can bid on future NGA players in the first 40 picks as long as their (discounted) points are less than 1700. So if one of our NGA's in 2022 cost 1000 points discounted, our tally would go down to 700 if we matched.

When our tally goes below the points to match pick #40, we no longer have any NGA access.

The only clubs who would keep investing in NGAs would be those who have spare points.
I understood what you were saying.

I was expanding on the idea as I don't really like that they've effectively neutered the NGAs – I know why they did it, but I think there's a middle ground that could be achieved so that it's not being abused. There should still be an incentive to get kids from non-football & erm, "diverse" backgrounds into footy as kids, before they become Cat B rookies or are lost to the sport altogether.

I think they could take your idea a bit further as a way of achieving that, allowing clubs to still access the top NGA prospects, but having to pay full value especially closer to the top of the draft, and with bids becoming unmatchable if the difference between their earned pick and the pick they want to match is more than a maximum number of points. That would stop clubs from taking multiple top 10 selections that aren't earned, or matching a bid at pick 1 as a top 4 team, but would still allow a cellar dweller to pick up an NGA kid in the top 10.

Well, that incentive is still there, but only if they finish outside the top 40 picks.

The issue isn't really with the pick per se (except to the degree zones have always been uneven and unfair), but that the players being selected were predominantly ones who would have come through anyway. Better to put in rules saying the kids can't have played AFL before age 16 for example.

2020 Covid - 11
Another trophy to add to the collection
EDC79113-69D8-4CF2-8B3B-4254BFD1222A.jpeg D7EA7818-63D3-463B-AD07-5BD717E6D6F8.png

Apparently Essendon have asked both Davey Twins not to play NTFL. Unfortunate we won’t get to watch them as they NTFL season starts this weekend
A shame but probably the right move.

Unfortunate for us but one has already done a knee correct?
Prudent move provably until next year.
Yep, Jayden (I think) had done his ACL at 16 I believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back