Opinion 2021 Non-Crows AFL 3: Things Fall Apart!

Who sneaks in to 7th & 8th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brisbane ruckman Archie Smith has made the decision to depart the football club.

The 26-year-old has requested a trade after struggling to break into the Lions’ best 22.

Smith has played 16 career games for the Lions since joining the club in 2014.

He did not feature at AFL level in 2021, stuck behind Oscar McInerney.

Clubs across the competition are in need of ruck depth, including the likes of Gold Coast, GWS, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

Rucci‘s article on the Port website is hilarious, even the Port supporters are up in arms about it.

To summise, all is well down at Alberton, they're a "destination club" and they shouldn't be hasty to shoot themselves in the foot by getting rid of Kern.

He even manages to somehow use Melbourne as an example to justify why holding firm with Kern can deliver success.

It's great to see Rucci turn into a Port version of the very thing that he used to complain about.

Last edited:
Rucci‘s article on the Port website is hilarious, even the Port supporters are up in arms about it.

To summise, all its well down at Alberton, they're a "destination club" and they shouldn't be hasty to shoot themselves in the foot by getting rid of Kern.

He even manages to somehow use Melbourne as an example to justify why holding firm with Ken can deliver success.
What do they expect? He’s paid by Port to deliver Port propaganda. At least its just more obvious now.

I think it will be tough for them to make it again.

2020 to me was their peak.

They're an aging list and besides Ollie Wines they have no high end talent in their mid 20s

Since 2020 they've lost Ebert and Hartlett, Robbie Gray is 34 next year and not even close to the player he was, Boak is 34 next year, Dixon 32 next year, Motlop 31 next year, Jonas 31 next year and Lycett is turning 30 next year too.

It's hard to see where the improvement is going to come from.

I think they will do a Geelong of 2021.

They will of course get rolled by teams like Dees, Dogs, Lions or Eagles in the finals.

To summise, all its well down at Alberton, they're a "destination club" and they shouldn't be hasty to shoot themselves in the foot by getting rid of Kern.

He even manages to somehow use Melbourne as an example to justify why holding firm with Ken can deliver success.
Crows just need Ken at Port for another 2 years while we rebuild and we can feel safe they wont add to their only flag.

The media bloody love Ken.

I listened to him and Dillon this arvo, they were sickening.

Then Rowey starts, followed by Bicks who compares them to 01-03 and then winning in 04. The big difference is they were up on the up in this period but choked. Given the list profile they are on the way down.

Clowns but may it continue.

Brisbane ruckman Archie Smith has made the decision to depart the football club.

The 26-year-old has requested a trade after struggling to break into the Lions’ best 22.

Smith has played 16 career games for the Lions since joining the club in 2014.

He did not feature at AFL level in 2021, stuck behind Oscar McInerney.

Clubs across the competition are in need of ruck depth, including the likes of Gold Coast, GWS, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.

I read somewhere today that Ned Cahill has parted ways with the Dons?, rated him in his draft year where I thought he was one of the better small pressure forwards in that draft. Given none of our small forwards have really nailed down that role he'd be worth a look as a delisted free agent on the rookie list.

Actions probably speak a lot louder than words.

Im sure the players aren't sitting there wishing Goody sounded more animated, they are too busy executing the winning strategy he has put into place.

The days of players being primarily motivated and driven by game day speeches is well in the past.

*The winning strategy the assistants have put into place.

They only turned it around once they stacked their coaches’ box this year. I suspect Yze is the main driver.

*The winning strategy the assistants have put into place.

They only turned it around once they stacked their coaches’ box this year. I suspect Yze is the main driver.

Head coach has ultimately say and sets direction about overall strategy.

To say the assistants have put this in place shows a lack of understanding of the strategy creation process.

It would also never work.

If every assistant basically set the strategy for their area, you would have pieces that would not integrate or fit together.

A great leader is not one that gets into the weeds and has to do everything thing themselves, its one that can utilise the talent around them and get the best out of people.

I read somewhere today that Ned Cahill has parted ways with the Dons?, rated him in his draft year where I thought he was one of the better small pressure forwards in that draft. Given none of our small forwards have really nailed down that role he'd be worth a look as a delisted free agent on the rookie list.

Yes Cahill was delisted yesterday

Head coach has ultimately say and sets direction about overall strategy.

To say the assistants have put this in place shows a lack of understanding of the strategy creation process.

It would also never work.

If every assistant basically set the strategy for their area, you would have pieces that would not integrate or fit together.

A great leader is not one that gets into the weeds and has to do everything thing themselves, its one that can utilise the talent around them and get the best out of people.

You’re demonstrating a lack of understanding of the impact assistants have on strategy and execution. I’ll leave it at that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He even manages to somehow use Melbourne as an example to justify why holding firm with Kern can deliver success.

It's great to see Rucci turn into a Port version of the very thing that he used to complain about.

I mentioned this a few days back they'll be comparing themselves to Melbourne in 2018. But someone mentioned they look forward to them finishing bottom 4 next year then first.

Yep I said last year was their best shot and they blew it, I maintained this year they were not getting close.
You could see it at the beginning

I was telling people this before the recommencement of the league going into rd 2

Port Adelaide is about to fall in a hole that will take 4-7 years to get out of.
And that's assuming they
1) Draft well, or hit free agency/trade period well
and
2) What they have now continues to grow, rather than stagnate like those before them.

As I said then, 2020 is their only chance before their good elder statesman are off, or in decline.
Then you have a hole in your list with duds everywhere.

Ports fabled excellence in drafting is a bit of a myth. Apart from 2018, there is nothing to write home about. Reckon we’ve beaten them most years.

2020 we clearly won

2019 I reckon we drafted the best player in Schoenberg. They drafted Georgiadis and Bergman. We could also include Keays from the rookie draft. I’m giving us this one too.

2018 is them.

2017 I don’t know who we drafted but I checked their picks, and we won. (Okay just checked and we win with Fog and McPherson)

2016 is ugly for us but for them, Marshall is a dud, SPP on the way out and Drew a random scrapper. Nothing flashy. They won by default though as our draftees are useless.

2015 clearly us with Milera and Doedee

2014 the best players picked up by both teams have left and ours were better in Lever and Mcgovern. but we also because we still have ROB.

2013 they got Byrne Jones and Amon which is decent, but Matt Crouch, Hartigan and Charlie Cameron and Jake Kelly from the rookie list for us. We win in a canter.

2012 is them easy with Wines over Atkins. Let’s move on.

2011 we picked up Laird as a rookie as well as Brad Crouch though they got Wingard. We still win though.

So over last 10 years I have us drafting better in 7 of them.

Ports fabled excellence in drafting is a bit of a myth. Apart from 2018, there is nothing to write home about. Reckon we’ve beaten them most years.

2020 we clearly won

2019 I reckon we drafted the best player in Schoenberg. They drafted Georgiadis and Bergman. We could also include Keays from the rookie draft. I’m giving us this one too.

2018 is them.

2017 I don’t know who we drafted but I checked their picks, and we won. (Okay just checked and we win with Fog and McPherson)

2016 is ugly for us but for them, Marshall is a dud, SPP on the way out and Drew a random scrapper. Nothing flashy. They won by default though as our draftees are useless.

2015 clearly us with Milera and Doedee

2014 the best players picked up by both teams have left and ours were better in Lever and Mcgovern. but we also because we still have ROB.

2013 they got Byrne Jones and Amon which is decent, but Matt Crouch, Hartigan and Charlie Cameron and Jake Kelly from the rookie list for us. We win in a canter.

2012 is them easy with Wines over Atkins. Let’s move on.

2011 we picked up Laird as a rookie as well as Brad Crouch though they got Wingard. We still win though.

So over last 10 years I have us drafting better in 7 of them.
No offence but this is hilarious and is one massively biased analysis.

I’ll just look at 2020 and 2019 to highlight that.

2020, we had pick 1 which became pick 2, pick 11 and another 2 picks in the 20s. They had Jones and a pick in the 40s. No s**t we won that, that’s because of our quality picks and their lack of picks.

2019, we used pick 6 on McAsey which looks like a bust and they picked Bergman and Georgiadis, both quality footballers. Sure Schoenberg is as well, but that doesn’t discount who they picked. But given our draft hand and what we did with it, if McAsey is a bust that’s a massive fail.

2020, we had pick 1 which became pick 2, pick 11 and another 2 picks in the 20s. They had Jones and a pick in the 40s. No sh*t we won that, that’s because of our quality picks and their lack of picks.

2019, we used pick 6 on McAsey which looks like a bust and they picked Bergman and Georgiadis, both quality footballers. Sure Schoenberg is as well, but that doesn’t discount who they picked. But given our draft hand and what we did with it, if McAsey is a bust that’s a massive fail.
No offense but if you want to take into account draft position and maneuvering over the 10 years, go right ahead. We had a better hand in 2020 and rightfully recruited better. As did Port when they got Wines at pick 7 and we had pick 62. Over the course of 10 years it should even out.

And I’ve given my view on 2019. Don’t care where McAsey was drafted except so far he’s a fail. But Schoenberg is the best of all players picked by us and Port that year. Georgiadis is good but not great yet. Bergman is very vanilla. Keays has been better than both port players.

No offense but if you want to take into account draft position and maneuvering over the 10 years, go right ahead. We had a better hand in 2020 and rightfully recruited better. As did Port when they got Wines at pick 7 and we had pick 62. Over the course of 10 years it should even out.

And I’ve given my view on 2019. Don’t care where McAsey was drafted except so far he’s a fail. But Schoenberg is the best of all players picked by us and Port that year. Georgiadis is good but not great yet. Bergman is very vanilla. Keays has been better than both port players.
Yep, 2020 supports that Ports fabled excellence in drafting is a myth. They ****ed up their picks picking Jones in the teens and whoever they picked in the 40s.

As for comparing their 2019 draftees in their second year to Keays who has been around for a few years and has questionable disposal and decision making is equally as funny.

I get it you don’t like Port, none of us do, but at least try and be objective.

2020, we had pick 1 which became pick 2, pick 11 and another 2 picks in the 20s. They had Jones and a pick in the 40s. No sh*t we won that, that’s because of our quality picks and their lack of picks.

The Zac Butters ruling of 2018 is certainly well in effect for 2019 on our end. It is very hard to turn down Harry Schoenberg for anything that Port got that year seeing that kid is well on the way to being a top line midfielder. Then factor in Ben Keays who is certainly a very good midfielder in its own right. Georgiades is a good pick on their end though, so I doubt they're too cut up about this draft, but the points are firmly in our favour.

Remember, the end result of draft matter, not just first round picks. I would gladly see us fail every first round pick we ever have if you offered me a consistent stream of gun players from the 2nd round onwards.

Yep, 2020 supports that Ports fabled excellence in drafting is a myth. They f’ed up their picks picking Jones in the teens and whoever they picked in the 40s.

As for comparing their 2019 draftees in their second year to Keays who has been around for a few years and has questionable disposal and decision making is equally as funny.

I get it you don’t like Port, none of us do, but at least try and be objective.
So your key argument that my post is not objective and humorous to you is that it’s silly I rate Keays higher than Bergman and we shouldn’t compare them even though both players were available to be drafted, and we picked him and Port didn’t? That’s kind of how drafts work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back