Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really have no feel ....and there would be no logic to any thoughts I may have ....other than him & family being Crows supporters, and being managed by an ex Crow stalwart in Doughty

The fact Dawson indicated he wanted a trade back to SA suggests the Crows offer is enough for him to declare his intentions .....but Port still playing means little either as trade discussions are occurring throughout the season

I'd suggest we're pushing the hardest ....that's my feel anyway .....feeling the love from the Crows, hopefully sways him our way
Then it should come down to how significant an amount of extra money Port will need to offer to get him to swap allegiance.

Further to our discussion ....

Senior foxfooty.com.au reporter Tom Morris first revealed last week that the script had “flipped” on Dawson’s future, with both South Australian clubs “confident” of luring him home – who then officially declared his bid to do so.

Contrary to reports that Port Adelaide was in the box seat, Ralph believes there’s no frontrunner yet given he hasn’t met with either the Power or Crows, while they would need to offer him approximately a five-year deal worth $500,000 per season.

“He’s in quarantine in Adelaide for another week and then both Port Adelaide and the Crows will pitch for him,” he said. “Both (are) very keen, the perfect demographic in terms of age for the Crows. Just a quality player, so Port Adelaide would have to give up their first pick, but I think would be prepared to.”

Ralph said losing Dawson should in theory clear up cap space for the Swans to re-sign Hewett, who’s a free agent. However it’s believed Sydney is happy to let him walk as a move to the Blues looms.
I would go with Doedee (likely captain next year), Nick's, Silver's, Burns and some players such as Schoenberg, Laird, Seedsman, Berry, Thilthorpe as part of the presentation. Burgess would have been nice to be there but I'm sure this will be a selling point if he's coming to the club. Balmey would have been good to roll out as well but still a good chance once OOC. The club really needs to show how they can help him further develop as a player to maximise his career.

Hopefully Dawson saw Hinkley sitting clueless in the box while powaa got smashed on Sat night. Pretty much sums up Hinkley. The other factor with Hinkley is that he will likely be sacked next year so Dawson doesn't exactly know who he will be playing under over there. I'm sure we would mention some of the players we possibly will be bringing to the club with our cap space over the next couple of years.

Last edited:

His move appears on face value to be more about wanting to get back to be around family than money because Sydney's offer is reported to be very reasonable, that and the fact he's already told them je wants to be traded to SA so that only leaves two options and there again it seems we're leading the race. He will already know what kind of money is on the table from both clubs.
The media coverage makes it sound like they offered him a raise to $500k (from probably $350k or so).

Not unreasonable, but I think it wouldn't be hard for him to get more while also coming home.

Isn't it a buggar when the family all have integrity. ;)
Which just goes to show the journalists making claims as to his preference are guessing.

Under the new agreement for 2021:

• The total TPP for each club will be $12.1m and the Additional Services Agreement Limit will be $1.09m for the 2021 season.
  • Each club must have a minimum of 37 players with a maximum of 44 players. The primary list must have no less than 36 players and no more than 38 players. The maximum number of Category A rookies will be 4-6 (depending on the number of Primary List Players and with the maximum across those two lists not exceeding 42) and the maximum number of category B rookies shall be 2.
  • A new minimum base salary category to be added for any player who has previously been Primary Listed and is subsequently Rookie Listed.
  • Payments to the AFLPA/Players that include AFLPA Operating grant and player retirement fund have decreased by more than 10 per cent.
Is the last point because of covid?

Morris says Stephens to COLL ....Ralph says no ....guess one news hound will be right

But smelling like Stephens now stays at SYD given Dawson's departure
Smells like Stephens manager shopping him around for a contract increase... or is it also for more opportunities?

I thought we had banned anyone from NSW coming back, even returning residents?
No, there is an application process to get back into SA.... but they are only processing around 200 per day... so thousands are stuck trying to get home.

Smells like Stephens manager shopping him around for a contract increase... or is it also for more opportunities?
Probably both ....SYD probably offered Stephens a basic increase & 2 years .....may very well be correct and Manager simply hawking him around to clubs

In other words pick 23 for Dawson. Billy aka "Dean Gore steak knives". Love it. Will piss them big time but they did f**k us with Jesse White. Swans would be pushing hard for him to go to pear to get 17 but it's better to pay Dawson an extra 100k a year to get the deal done. Payback is a b*tch. In all honesty we should be handing over a pick to the swans for taking Billy off our hands haha. We should throw Murphy or Rowe into the deal as well.

The Gore ruse was Noble's only real trading win while with us. "Look, I can't sell a mid first and mid second for a 26 year old top 5 player. Have you got a SA bred potato that's a near certain delist that I can buy for a mid 50s pick? We can throw all that into the one deal, you leak how he was going to play games next year and how disappointing it is to lose him and I'll sell him to the lemmings as an exciting 2nd rounder."

"Have we ever!!!"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's absurd, the shortfall shouldn't be returned to the AFL until the ability to spend it in a subsequent year is lost. This basically allows a club to pay 100% of the cap each year plus an extra 5% every second year.

Year 1 - negotiate to 95% of the cap, but don't worry, the AFL will bump that up at the end of the year.
Year 2 - due to 'underspend', we can now spend an extra 5% even though the playing group ultimately shared in the full cap the previous year.
Rinse and repeat.
It's only the shortfall below 95% that is returned and redistributed; nothing happens if you're paying 95%+. So the scenario you describe can't happen.

While we're at it, it's also worth noting that the 95% is a minimum, the 100% is a maximum, and you don't have to spend the 100% in any year, or at all. In theory you could run at 95% year after year but there's no incentive to do that with the AFL picking up the bill, and it just makes it harder to attract/retain good players.

You live in VIC now though, don’t you?

as frog said, SA (just). It was a rare event, I was in SA applying for return having disclosed that I'd been in Victoria for 1 day to sell my truck. I did stuff up a bit, I picked a town that I thought was within the cross border bubble, but turns out it wasn't. Still, that would be the experience of most applying to return.

The solution was easy anyway, I stopped at the SA border checkpoint and told the police that I was exchanging the truck indude the SA border, which I did. When asked on our way back to Mt Gambier, I just repeated that and we were waved through. The Vic police obviously don't man the border as they couldn't give a rats how many of their people escape to SA.

Dawson probably hasn't even been in NSW for a couple of months at the moment

But also there are different sets of rules for the privileged, so who knows -

Wasn't their last game in Tasmania?

If he went straight from there then there'd be no quarantine you'd imagine, or maybe less so restrictions. Don't we let home quarantine now?

I know the Sydney B&F was a virtual event.

Wasn't their last game in Tasmania?

If he went straight from there then there'd be no quarantine you'd imagine, or maybe less so restrictions. Don't we let home quarantine now?

I know the Sydney B&F was a virtual event.
They’d have to declare that they were in Vic in the last 14 days though which means quarantine.

So is the club all in on Dawson or are we chasing Dylan Stephens?

If we miss out on Dawson because we're chasing Stephens then that's understandable, but if we miss out on both then I will be a bit concerned.

If we miss out on Dawson because we're chasing Stephens then that's understandable, but if we miss out on both then I will be a bit concerned.

It’s really hard to get a gauge on how interested we are in Stephens. We should be trying to get he and Dawson. It’s annoying we aren’t declaring our interest publicly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With all the talk of Stephens potentially coming here or Essendon or Collingwood or wherever (or even staying at Sydney), it sounds like nobody is actually beating down the door to sign him. When a player is linked with that many clubs, my usual assumption is that it's his manager desperately shopping him around trying to get a decent contract somewhere, meanwhile there's lukewarm interest from a few places that might be interested if he's cheap enough. I'm sure we'd be one of those clubs, but whether that constitutes actually "chasing" him (as opposed to his manager chasing us) is debatable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back