Movie What's the last movie you saw? (5)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vertigo

I'm not sure I loved this. I've seen this referred to as one of the greatest films of all time, but I wouldn't even consider it in Hitchcock's top 3.

It was okay. Maybe I've seen too many other films inspired by this since, but I saw a lot of it before it had played out, and I'm a bit dissatisfied with some of the characters' stories (Midge and Gavin).

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Jaws with my 5 year old son. Girlfriend bitched at me like I was conducting a Séance tho.
Went off the handle like me no tomorrow about it being R rated. I said “well at the time it was R but these days The Lord of the Rings is only M and much more graphic”.

What do you guys think?

HAPPY BUDDHA

🤣🤣🤣
10k Posts
Oct 2, 2018
Scarborough
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth Royals
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.
What is it about Tarantino movies, that once I switch on, I’m in for the long haul. No matter how many times I’ve seen them.
Even on free to air, I actually put up with the ads. Cant watch anything else on FTA.
Just gets me in every time.
Reservoir Dogs still his best for me.
Raw, straight up and no messing around.
Now he just seems to drink his own bathwater and bog the movies down with too much dialogue. His scripts are pretty epic but * me there’s a lot to get through if you’re sitting in a cinema chair. 😩

rank and file

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2013
michael mitchell country
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
bell park
Jaws with my 5 year old son. Girlfriend bitched at me like I was conducting a Séance tho.
Went off the handle like me no tomorrow about it being R rated. I said “well at the time it was R but these days The Lord of the Rings is only M and much more graphic”.

What do you guys think?
Time to take your girlfriend surfing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda

What do you guys think?
I probably won’t show my boy jaws at 5 but it’s not that bad, I’ll be interested to know come December is he’s terrified of the beach.

Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC

What do you guys think?
It's an absolute cinema classic. I also wonder how far that film went towards the fear and killing/hunting of sharks that stray too close to the shore, or attack people. I love the ocean, I've swam in many different oceans and seas, but it's always the territory of the marine life IMO. I'm a guest and if I end up as a meal I wouldn't be angry at the fish.

A bit like if you venture into Kruger or somewhere similar and get out of your car and go for a walk.. It isnt the animals problem, and the animal shouldn't suffer.

Love Woody Harrelson. Do you think he’s better at comedy like ‘White Men Can’t Jump’ or something more serious like ‘True Detective?’

I personally loved him in both but especially as the badass hillbilly in “Out Of The Furnace”..

He's great at anything. Has he done anything lately?

The Sting

Another justified classic. I wrote above that having seen too many modern takes on Vertigo might’ve ruined that for me. This isn't the case with this film.

It holds up really well, and Redford/Newman were a dynamite pairing. I wish we could've seen more of them together.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

What do you guys think?
Your girlfriend is right; five is young enough to be scared by it and too young to actually appreciate what makes it a classic anyway.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Yeah, no issue watching violence or that for kids, but the best bit about Jaws isn't the shark or the blood and violence, it's the three main men and how their relationship with each other and themselves develops.

At five I wouldn't have gotten that.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Indicate the direction of my abode
I'm fatigued and I wish to retire
I drank a small beverage 60 minutes ago
And it went directly to my brain

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Mangrove

The first of 5 in the Small Axe film series, created by Steve McQueen (12 Years a Slave).

I enjoyed it, although it made the blood boil as you'd expect.

Set in Notting Hill in the 70s, the true story of the West Indian community being harassed by police, building up to a trial where "The Mangrove 9" defend themselves in court against charges of inciting a riot.

Well written, filmed and acted. Am looking forward to the next 4 films, which each apparently tell a different (true) story.

Just started. This is awesome

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Kate... serviceable action film in the Taken/John Wick genre, this time with Mary Elizabeth Winstead the girl kicking ass. Nothing groundbreaking and most of the developments are signposted, but location is good, soundtrack is good, and getting there is fine. 7/10.

Video game style plot of carry out a mission then move on. Most of it worked for me. I liked that there was some time invested in the Japanese characters. All the performances were solid. As others have said MEW reminds of a young Sigourney Weaver.

6/10

Oct 18, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa
The Guilty : 6/10, had promise but the last 3rd of the film let itself down

Old - 5/10 - i nice premise/ idea, the makeup in making characters seamlessly age was impressive, but the story was ridiculous and it fell short of the mark....worth a watch just to check out i reckon though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back