Strategy 2021 Draft and Hypothetical pick trade proposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol seriously can we just have a ban on posting things ol clickbait Kornes says…

none of it is interesting and it’s all designed to just stir people up.

Hodgey wants a new rule! Hodgey gets a new rule.

No more clickbait s**t from Cornes in here.

Also:
Can we also threadban Rendell quotes. The bloke is senile.
Done ✔️

Cousins and Beweley are different players with different strengths

Cousins was great at finding the ball and played in/out off a HFF, but terrible disposal and decision-making

Beweley is hard at the contest and a good kick, but not a great accumulator and doesn't get involved in chains of play as much as he needs to

different strengths complement different teams
Is that what we need? I don't think so.

i have to ask how many of you have actually ever watched Bewley play? It's a fair enough question because who the * voluntarily watches Fremantle, but if you have a look at his highlights you will see that he actually does possess some AFL-level attributes that we're sorely lacking — a strong left-foot kick

eg. https://www.fremantlefc.com.au/vide...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1558930639001

some really fantastic ball use for a debutant in this video

i get that he's not a very inspiring option, but at the end of the day he is filling a list spot that is nearly always inconsequential. The chances of BB being able to come in and play a role are almost 100x higher than whoever we pick at the back-end of the draft ever playing a game, let alone a legitimate role. And if he works out well for us it's not like he's so old he'll retire in a year or two.

I really just think the negativity towards him is disproportionate to the list position he would be filling.

Our squad is mainly made of up role players. One thing we sorely lack is top end talent. It's what any oppo fan will tell you. Name one star at Hawthorn??

Chad, Sic, Titch

there's three ;)

not to mention Gunston and Breust (though they are older)

absolutely agree though, we need more. CJ, Scrim, DGB and Day could all absolutely become stars though. Possibly even Brockman and Moore

Our squad is mainly made of up role players. One thing we sorely lack is top end talent. It's what any oppo fan will tell you. Name one star at Hawthorn??
Couldn’t care less about opposition supporters when Day is going to be that bloody good, just need him fit and ready.

A lot will emerge over the next two years as well.

What if Bewley isn’t a long term option but worth a 12 month contract in the hope that we get a Hendo type output and the draft selections that we are expecting won’t actually be there because we are 100% committed to moving up to get 2 picks inside the top 10. I’d be fine with that if the A grade talent is drafted, DFA fills a whole if required and we don’t have to squeeze square pegs in a round hole because we have a healthy list and will struggle with continuity as it is because of the demographic and proposed best 22.

Does this mean we are recruiting everyone he's coached 😂
Well the coach who got Brett Bewelly to play his best football is at our club, it's been mentioned Freo played him out of position.

It means that maybe Collins has an idea for a role that he knows he can execute and could be valuable for the team.

But keep those neurons firing

Bewley strikes me as the type of guy who could play a role in a non finals side for 2-3 years. Not someone I think we should be chasing but if we got him he’d probably play a few games over the next couple season.

Well the coach who got Brett Bewelly to play his best football is at our club, it's been mentioned Freo played him out of position.

It means that maybe Collins has an idea for a role that he knows he can execute and could be valuable for the team.

But keep those neurons firing

I've seen alot of bewley both in seniors and his wafl stints, I'm not saying I know more then the next person but these are my thoughts. He was good in his first year but he played in a team where there was a role for him if he was good enough, they lost both langdon and Hill and play at optus a stadium which suits running players. He has always been low production , does he provide more then what we have as well as taking a spot ? I'm not sure but you have to back the club.

I'm all for adding depth but in the right position , I thought hartigan was a good get and has provided exactly what we need from him atm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t do much about it. Would you rather we only field 12 players who are up to your standard?

Bewley has an elite kick. His debut highlights impressive, as his VFL highlights are as well, (just in terms of his very penetrating kicking.) Don't know much more than that about him.

I will say I remember when we grabbed Guerra, and an opposition fan at the time bluntly posted 'He will add absolutely nothing to your list. List clogger'. We moved him to defence and worked around his game, and his elite kick, and turned into a very important cog and his injury really hurt our 2012 chances. We kept Suckling on the list for ages while injured before he made it, and people wondered what the hell we were carrying him for as in some minds 'he has shown nothing'.

Not saying Bewley will turn out the same as Guerra or the above if someone gives him a chance, but the idea that he is automatically a 'list clogger', because of how he sits at Fremantle isn't always a given. We should look to hit the draft for top quality young talent, but there is a place for role players as well, and sometimes you find surprises (like Eldorado mentioned with Henderson). It is a bit different if by going for a player like Bewley the opportunity cost is preventing us from going for a gun young player, but we are talking about delisted free agents on top of our draft selections, so I'm for this 'type' of acquisition (don't know enough about him individually to say). We do need depth, and I don't mind targeting someone with an elite kick as depth, and perhaps our Hickmott/Sam Mitchell Western Scouts see a role for him in the side, that could work around his game similar to what we did with Guerra.

How many A graders do you believe will be on offer to the club in the coming trade / draft period? I can't imagine many clubs get a look at more than 2-3.
I'm saying we've got enough B/C graders on the list. I don't wanna actively bring more in. If anything, we need to keep cutting them

But if Bewley is an average list clogger, and Downie/Mitchell couldn't get a look in before him (even though the club has shown a selection preference for youth), wouldn't that indicate that Downie/Mitchell are a mile off and likely list cloggers themselves?
How old is Bewley?
How old are Downie and SMitchell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back