Player Watch Pick #5 (2018) - Connor Rozee (AFL Captain)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't blame the young kids. This loss sits squarely on the shoulders of our senior players, who f’ed it

Cop out.

There's what, at least half a dozen players in that team last night who could be classed as 'kids'? Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Ladhams, Bergman, Drew. Guess what? Nobody cares. It's a prelim final. If those players don't carry their weight then you lose. Full stop. They are all accountable for their varying levels of weak performances on the big stage. Only a loser club would absolve them of responsibility because of their birth certificate.

Cop out.

There's what, at least half a dozen players in that team last night who could be classed as 'kids'? Rozee, Butters, Duursma, Ladhams, Bergman, Drew. Guess what? Nobody cares. It's a prelim final. If those players don't carry their weight then you lose. Full stop. They are all accountable for their varying levels of weak performances on the big stage. Only a loser club would absolve them of responsibility because of their birth certificate.
I was responding to the lopsided criticism of a couple of our younger players compared to our senior players which imo is not on.

There's no way in my team that after that performance I wouldn't firstly be sitting the leadership group and senior players down together and looking each directly in the eye and demanding an explanation. Yes the young players need to perform but it starts at the top. The cop out you speak of is singling out young men aiming disproportionate blame at them instead of our spineless leaders.

The Bulldogs have the majority of their best players in that 25-30 bracket and they step up and go to another level and make sure their team wins. Their kids provide the enthusiasm and icing to their heavy lifting. Our senior players don't do this and instead we expect our young guys to be the difference. Unfortunately it doesn't work this way.

Cant count Butters end of season. Was not at 100% and looked a completely different player to the first three rounds.

Rozee will be elite, has that ability to slow time and usually composed. He had a bad night but who didn't? (besides Bonner)

Don't blame the young kids. This loss sits squarely on the shoulders of our senior players, who f’ed it
They deserve their share of the blame. Most belongs to the leaders and experienced players, but that doesn't absolve young players from not put in, and making dumb arsed decisions, when basic high percentage footy was needed, when they had the ball in their hands.

I think he’s going to be the star. What I don’t like that’s crept into his game more and more is this getting the ball and then doing a few ring a rozees like he’s avoiding any form of touch from his opponents.

He's the one who I think has the most potential to break out in to an explosive beast from stoppage. It's fine to be an accumulator of the footy, but the best sides in the comp have at least one or two teams who just flat out explode out of the stoppage and breakaway from their opponents. We really don't have that guy. I think Rozee is the most likely of our young brigade who can turn into that type of player.

Interesting how in season 1 it was all Rozee vs Walsh and it was close.. real close.. with the general consensus that Rozee has more upside, flair and general match winning ability and Walsh would be the run of the mill but incredibly good mid. Many said Rozee had a better first season even though he didnt win the rising star

Fast forward 2 years and Walsh is red hot favourite to win Carlton's best and fairest and is in the shuffle for the brownlow while Rozee isnt progressing anywhere near what we hoped, or anyone thought.

Right now Walsh is so far ahead of Rozee its not funny

Hopefully Rozee has a big pre-season and gets over all his injuries and has a decent run at 2022

Interesting how in season 1 it was all Rozee vs Walsh and it was close.. real close.. with the general consensus that Rozee has more upside, flair and general match winning ability and Walsh would be the run of the mill but incredibly good mid. Many said Rozee had a better first season even though he didnt win the rising star

Fast forward 2 years and Walsh is red hot favourite to win Carlton's best and fairest and is in the shuffle for the brownlow while Rozee isnt progressing anywhere near what we hoped, or anyone thought.

Right now Walsh is so far ahead of Rozee its not funny

Hopefully Rozee has a big pre-season and gets over all his injuries and has a decent run at 2022
We should stop trying to turn him into a midfielder, just let the guy tear s**t up where he does it best

In today's press Warren Tredrea is calling for Travis Boak to be moved out of the midfield and one of Port's young guns to be given time in the midfield.

Last time they moved Travis out of the middle it did not end well. I get the point about giving the likes of Connor Rozee a chance in the midfield but it will come at a cost. That Prelim disaster aside Travis Boak and Ollie Wines were two of the drivers in getting us to the Prelim.

I do not have a problem with developing Rozee or any other young player as a midfielder, it will have to happen sometime, but the question is how do you do it without going backward for a time?

In today's press Warren Tredrea is calling for Travis Boak to be moved out of the midfield and one of Port's young guns to be given time in the midfield.

Last time they moved Travis out of the middle it did not end well. I get the point about giving the likes of Connor Rozee a chance in the midfield but it will come at a cost. That Prelim disaster aside Travis Boak and Ollie Wines were two of the drivers in getting us to the Prelim.

I do not have a problem with developing Rozee or any other young player as a midfielder, it will have to happen sometime, but the question is how do you do it without going backward for a time?
Boak and wines were responsible for every first quarter blow out this year, you cant pat them on the back for that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Boak and wines were responsible for every first quarter blow out this year, you cant pat them on the back for that

Between them Wines and Boak averaged over 60 disposals per game. Ollie, who managed AA selection, ranked no 2 in disposals over the entire AFL and Travis was 15. That is a not a bad effort. I reckon they will both do well in our B&F .

Last edited:
Between them Wines and Boak averaged over 60 disposals per game. Ollie, who managed AA selection, ranked no 2 in disposals over the entire AFL and Travis was 15. That is a not a bad effort. I reckon they will both do well in our B&F.

Woopdee ******* doo.

All that matters is the last game they played. And they failed.

Woopdee ******* doo.

and if they had not performed during the minor round we would not have made that game. No one really performed against the Dogs but Ollie did have 38 possessions.

and Ollie has since added the Brownlow to his trophy cabinet.

Last edited:
Woopdee ******* doo.

Wally wines kicked our first goal of the game when literally every other player was choking it up like a spud. And he had 36 disposals. The loss isn't on him

Obviously the umpires did not agree. Congratulations Ollie Wines.
but your missing the point, they got smacked on 4 different occasions in the 1st quarter but teams with a better midfield group. Once you would say bad luck, twice you would say bad day, 4 times you would say there's a problem there. To gloss over it and go with the same system next year would be just stupid. Personally i think that wines and boak together are two one dimensional, Boak is your engine that you put in the middle after the heat of the first 15 minutes is out of the game and you allow him to control the middle through the guts of the game. We really should have SPP starting in the middle and im just a little bit perplexed that we have him playing a half forward in a role that doesnt suit. This guy has speed, grunt, can hit as hard as anyone and we have him sitting in no-mans land when our problems are having someone with speed and grunt at the stoppages. Well he's right there.

This is what happened to Wingard.
wingard would have been an ok midfielder but his body could never hack it, once that was realised he should have been kept in the forward line but Ken once again has no-idea and decided it was better to play Boak as the half forward and move Wingard into the middle. It's these type of decision that make him a terrible coach and worse thing is it so obvious to everyone else but it takes him 2 years to finally admit it.

wingard would have been an ok midfielder but his body could never hack it, once that was realised he should have been kept in the forward line but Ken once again has no-idea and decided it was better to play Boak as the half forward and move Wingard into the middle. It's these type of decision that make him a terrible coach and worse thing is it so obvious to everyone else but it takes him 2 years to finally admit it.
Exactly, good post.

The best template for guys like Wingard or Rozee currently is Isaac Heeney. Has been able to become a midfielder without losing his forward ability and still spends time as a forward.

We failed badly at that with Chad.

Rozee's best footy has been as the elusive, classy finisher who can run the lines and break up the oppo's defence.
I agree with those who believe he would need a big preseason in the gym and probably 3 - 5 kegs of muscle to be of ultimate effect as a full time centre square midfielder.

Rozee's best footy has been as the elusive, classy finisher who can run the lines and break up the oppo's defence.
I agree with those who believe he would need a big preseason in the gym and probably 3 - 5 kegs of muscle to be of ultimate effect as a full time centre square midfielder.
Agree here. Was shown up big time in the prelim that he hasn't yet got the composure as a lead up small forward to twist and turn under pressure as its not his natural talent.

Watching a lot of his Junior highlights he is a natural half back/winger and classy kick, see ball, attack ball, move it forward, I wouldn't put him through the midfield because of this reason. Reminds me of a young Wanganeen who played his best footy across half back. I would try him in at DBJ position across half back.

He is nothing like Wingard in that way, Chad is a natural dodger and weaver but not so good in the straight line. There would be room for both these guys at Port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back