News & Events Non-Football COVID-19 Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Say you catch covid and are vaccinated and it doesn't do much to you, but then next year you get it again (you have had you're booster shot) but are perhaps a bit more sick from a variant that stronger, then the following year you get a mild case...and so on. What happens after we have had it 10 times. We will be allowing it to come, and allowing us to get it multiple times. Will there be some sort of damage to our bodies that will eventually catch up with us and make really sick.
No. The immune system doesn't work like that. Think of it like memories. For example - imagine yesterday you ate a really tasty looking jelly bean that was flavoured like a piece of dog s**t and you ate it and thought, "this is really gross I am never doing that again". But then next year you see a piece of dog s**t that looks delicious but that smells really similar to that jelly bean, and you take a really big sniff of it and it makes you a little woozy, but you remember that jelly bean flavoured dog s**t that you ate last year, and decide not to eat it because it was nasty. And then the year after that, you come across another similar piece of dog s**t that looks really tasty, but maybe this one is a different consistency, and so you have a little nibble, but then before you can go any further it triggers the memory of that dogshit flavoured jelly bean that you really didn't like, and you remember that it is a bad idea so you run away from that particular strain of dogshit.

its just like that.

The jelly bean is the vaccine, and covid is the dogshit.

People I know who haven't yet had a vaccine don't have access to Pfizer and are concerned about anecdotal reports of things like kidney failure, strokes, heart and lung issues with AZ. Doctors can't answer to any of that, neither can any of the literature and it's not in the medical journals either – I've looked and I cannot dispel those rumours because there simply isn't any published data about vaccine side-effects beyond TTS, CVST, and the contraindications around use of heparin.
yeah they can and yeah it is. post marketing surveillance is a TGA mandated thing and absolutely every AE is captured and included regardless of causation and added to the body of evidence collected from clinical trials and monitored as part of the registration process. safety monitoring of a drug is a massive thing especially considering the biases of the differences between candidates of a clinical trial and those in the real world.

yeah they can and yeah it is. post marketing surveillance is a TGA mandated thing and absolutely every AE is captured and included regardless of causation and added to the body of evidence collected from clinical trials and monitored as part of the registration process. safety monitoring of a drug is a massive thing especially considering the biases of the differences between candidates of a clinical trial and those in the real world.
Of course they’re monitoring it, I know they have surveillance measures and 30,000+ reports of adverse events (including things like irritation at the site of injection and minor stuff like that obviously). The state hubs send out surveys to everyone who is vaccinated and collect all of that data, and the TGA checks all of them. I’ve read the entire covid section of the TGA website, basically the entire department of health websites covid sections at federal and state level, I’ve searched repositories of medical journals, I’ve searched through the American CDC and the British government websites.

They haven’t actually published anything that I can point people to who have concerns about things like kidney failure, strokes, heart or pulmonary issues. And the doctors can’t answer everything because we tried asking them and they actually couldn’t answer everything. One of the things they could answer and said it wasn’t likely to be related, and the other stuff they said was possible but didn’t know for sure.

I’ve personally been vaccinated and most people I know are either vaccinated or booked in, but for those of us who have family members or friends who have genuine concerns and aren’t vaxxed yet, we’re stuck. And there’s no point berating them about it or telling them it doesn’t matter, all we can do is try to find the information they are looking for, try and find somewhere they can go to talk to someone who has the answers.

So far, we aren’t there yet.

Two managers at work, will require proof of Vax to head to construction sites. Both aren't willing.

One is hesitant due to her friends mum getting a blood clot for AZ, can't get into Pvizer for months and I've never had the flu jab so should be right. (three reasons trotted out)

The other one is all about "pro choice, but doesn't make me anti vaxx". Would be the most tiresome line dropped too. Happily will flout but is simply shouldering arms at the vaccine. Probs needs someone close to get it to realise it's serious. (After 18 months lol)

Two managers at work, will require proof of Vax to head to construction sites. Both aren't willing.

One is hesitant due to her friends mum getting a blood clot for AZ, can't get into Pvizer for months and I've never had the flu jab so should be right. (three reasons trotted out)

The other one is all about "pro choice, but doesn't make me anti vaxx". Would be the most tiresome line dropped too. Happily will flout but is simply shouldering arms at the vaccine. Probs needs someone close to get it to realise it's serious. (After 18 months lol)
I am seeing a very similar thing within my organisation. One of the guys is a manager and has a son who gets asthma so badly he is hospitalised every year and a wife who is a nurse and still won’t get it because he has never had a vaccine… he won’t do it because it sounds like his Mother is a bit of a fruit loop (lives off the grid) and he has been shaped by that. He is a ripping bloke for what it is worth but can’t be reasoned with. His kids are vaccinated. He is prepared to give up his job (after 8 years) to try to find residential work.
I have another bloke who is refusing because he is being forced. He is a rope acceas supervisor meaning I will have to shut down sites because he is required for compliance. Another great bloke with kids (that he has not vaccinated). He reckons he will go and drive trucks if he can’t work.
I have one other who has three young kids and claims he is not an anti-vaxxer yet yesterday he sent me the bullshit viral link of the 33 “doctors” claiming that even doctors were disputing the pandemic. Claiming “mainstream media” is full of s**t etc. He is another who cannot be reasoned and had made it clear he is happy to not work rather than get jabbed but is a cracking bloke.
All of these men are quality people. They are not *heads marching in the city or moving their tables out of break rooms onto the road. They are people who are refusing vaccination for a variety of different personal reasons. The thing that makes it really easy for these guys right now is the knowledge that they can sit back and get the $750 disaster payment if they don’t work. Obviously this is not a great long term strategy but they know they can access it.

This is the link attached was sent yesterday:

Obviously I watched the first couple and turned it off and it took me 2 seconds to find the rebuttal with citations that I actually read:

I had a chat to my business partner and he said that if you wanted to find it, you could find someone eating their own s**t on he internet claiming it helped with weight loss. So I googled and it checked out:

I had a chat to my business partner and he said that if you wanted to find it, you could find someone eating their own sh*t on he internet claiming it helped with weight loss. So I googled and it checked out:

https://www.audacy.com/kluv/blogs/m...ecret-to-weight-loss-is-eating-your-own-feces

Here I am practising a healthy gradual caloric deficit like a chump. I'm such a sheep.

I never said Bultitude was one of those people. I said people of those ilk (as in the nut jobs, influencers etc) were the ones to avoid with extreme prejudice when trying to navigate your own personal choice on the matter. They’re not dealing in facts. They’re dealing in bullshit.

Never thought you were mate. This is one of the myriad of reasons I keep a wide berth from socials, or at most carry a large grain of salt when I do venture in.

Had 2nd phizer shot yesterday morning, felt ok rest of the day, woke up 3am with full on body ache like you get with a bad bug/flu but thankfully with no other symptoms. Seems to be easing off this morning.
I’ve heard about that. I had something like it very minorly with the first dose, mostly fatigue and a bit of aches. Has a nap and all good.

Second shot is booked on the public holiday next week, so I reckon I’ll be knocked out during the grand final the following day 😬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Huzzah!

There's a bunch of PDFs attached at the bottom of that link with Victorian specific modelling from the Burnet institute, and PDFs of the road map for regional, metro and how it links to the national plan thing.

1 page version is this:
Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 13.31.42.png

on the face of it, the Burnet institute's prediction of case numbers ranging between an average of 1400-2900 by late October (before many of the restrictions are revoked) seems absurd, even accounting for their usual doom and gloom take on things
Is that total cases or daily cases?

Key findings
1. Even without any easing of restrictions, there is a moderate risk of exceeding health system capacity
• Based on the current epidemic growth rate, a peak in 7-day average daily diagnoses of 1400-2900 is estimated to occur between 19-31 October

It's always possible that Vic might hit that lower number of 1400 for a week or two, but NSW hit a peak around that 1400-1500 mark for a very short period and is currently descending (with the caveat that progress can always be undone). You'd think Victoria would do a little bit better.

Of course, Burnet Institute seem to think curfews are covid's worst nightmare. It's hard to make sense of them sometimes

It's always possible that Vic might hit that lower number of 1400 for a week or two, but NSW hit a peak around that 1400-1500 mark for a very short period and is currently descending (with the caveat that progress can always be undone). You'd think Victoria would do a little bit better.

Of course, Burnet Institute seem to think curfews are covid's worst nightmare. It's hard to make sense of them sometimes
I'm not convinced that NSW case numbers are reflective of actual infection rates, the system seems to be completely overwhelmed...

There's a summarised version here, including assumptions and limitations:

Also it looks like the modelling has a double peak, so it will go up again in December after 80% when more restrictions are eased? Hopefully more cases doesn't automatically mean an equivalent increase in hospitalisations though, the 'decoupling' effect at which point case numbers become more or less irrelevant among the vaccinated population.

2. In the roadmap scenario, the significant easing of restrictions at 80% vaccine coverage led to 63% of simulations exceeding 2500 hospital demand, and resulted in a second epidemic peak over mid-December

Also, they're assuming a 33% compliance rate and that it doesn't deteriorate further 👀

I’ve heard about that. I had something like it very minorly with the first dose, mostly fatigue and a bit of aches. Has a nap and all good.

Second shot is booked on the public holiday next week, so I reckon I’ll be knocked out during the grand final the following day 😬
On the flip side….I had nothing but a slightly sore arm after both Pfizer shots.
You might be fine.

CFMEU workers have attacked the HQ accusing the president of "selling out" to Dan Andrews.

this is a little OH BOY moment. They are now attacking the hand that feeds them. This gunna work out good.
Sure did. Kicking dogs and rioting, breaking stuff. What a bunch of turnips. Ignoring Setka is strange too. Did you go there to be heard or did you just wanna break something?

Setka actually went on radio this afternoon;

Sure did. Kicking dogs and rioting, breaking stuff. What a bunch of turnips. Ignoring Setka is strange too. Did you go there to be heard or did you just wanna break something?

Setka actually went on radio this afternoon;
My heart bleeds for him.

Bunch of flogs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back