List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Honest to God…I haven’t seen belly aching like this since…Daniel McConnell?…

Even if Brander does go on to play good footy somewhere else….it’s not like the guy has ever shown any outstanding attributes in his 22 games of AFL football. He’s played a handful of ‘oh look he wasn’t terrible!’ games in peripheral roles. That’s it. He’s not exactly dominated in the WAFL either.

…but that’s all down to someone other than the player himself yeah?..
It's more to do with the fact that he has been developed in roles other than KPP to be able to squeeze him into the AFL side. If he played as a KPP for 4 years and spudded it up then people would be less up in arms about it as at least he was given an extended go over a long time as a KPP and failed.

The fact that he trained first season as KPP and then every other role but from his second year onward in an attempt to fit him in the side is what's annoyed people.

I'm not joking when i say this. But how do i get in as a recruiter for WCE?

I think they need some fresh meat and new ideas. Because who ever has been involved in selecting these players need to get axed pronto.
2 questions to at least get an interview
Did you go to a private school?
We’re you school captain?

It's more to do with the fact that he has been developed in roles other than KPP to be able to squeeze him into the AFL side. If he played as a KPP for 4 years and spudded it up then people would be less up in arms about it as at least he was given an extended go over a long time as a KPP and failed.

The fact that he trained first season as KPP and then every other role but from his second year onward in an attempt to fit him in the side is what's annoyed people.

The fact is Waterman is a better forward (whether that is FF, CHF, Third tall or flanker), Allen overtook him in the forward line pecking order within the first few days of training and Harry Edwards overtook him as a Key defender almost straight away.

He has talent but isn't a forwards a-hole and doesn't check the man, read the play well enough or have the burst speed to recover against a leading forward. He's also super soft and has squibbed multiple contests at AFL level, is easily pushed under the ball due to expecting no contact in a marking contest and is a dead average kick over short distances.

It's a bust pick. He went into his draft year as a potential number 1 pick and then showed * all bar 1 game at the champs where he was good but not spectacular. It was a shock he made the U18 AA team.

I'd go as far as saying Andrew Mcdougall looked hard in comparison to Brander. * McDougall kicked 35.29 in his third season on the list FFS and we bemoan what a horrendous pick he was.

Personally pretty sick of the club picking players who had good to great U16 or U17 years and then did * all in their draft year before patting themselves on the back for getting a slider. Swift, Stevens, Venables, Brander all just a short list of examples of a recurring pattern.

Ok....

You must know him better than I do.
Nah just reading the Geelong board during the year he was angry about his non selection during the season even though he was doing everything they asked .
We he finally got his chance he wasn't played is his preferred position .

Eastcoasteagle
Do you know much about Mitch Knevitt and Zac Taylor?

They sound likely types.
Yes, only seen Knevitt play the once though. Thought he was a centre half forward but was starting centre bounces. So you get the picture, tall n lean and good runner.
Skills decent, was getting clearances and then presenting up the ground like a CHF. He's definitely one to consider at our 2nd pick if we miss out on MJ.
Taylor, seen him a few times now and he's the complete opposite. Short somewhat stocky midfielder but looks like he has a really nice kick on him. Personally prefer a Warner to him, but one to consider.

Lachlan Rankin is one I really like, his name barely been cited on draft boards. Good user, smart footballer. He'd be 20 to 35 ranking.

I just worry a tad about Vic prospects this year, they really have missed 2 years of development. I go every Saturday to Sandy Dragons oval for a kick with some other fellas, and you'll regularly see the u17s and 19s doing personal training but not the same as playing. Has to be an impact in their development compared to SA/WA guys.

Honest to God…I haven’t seen belly aching like this since…Daniel McConnell?…

Even if Brander does go on to play good footy somewhere else….it’s not like the guy has ever shown any outstanding attributes in his 22 games of AFL football. He’s played a handful of ‘oh look he wasn’t terrible!’ games in peripheral roles. That’s it. He’s not exactly dominated in the WAFL either.

…but that’s all down to someone other than the player himself yeah?..
Haha, what was the sentiment like around Dan McConnell?

I don’t think Nissy is that silly (Brander comment) - he may be playing a long game of poker.

I’ll now sit on the sidelines with fingers crossed hoping I am close to the mark.

Otherwise, fold the club.
Something must have happened between Brander and the club. He went from being a best 22 option on the wing in the first half of the year to being stuck in the WAFL towards the end of the year even though we had more injuries and he was putting out reasonable numbers.

Now we've basically said he's delisted if no one wants him. Has he got a case of the Tom Lambs?

South Coast is one the money. 6It's a negotiation between two parties.

Maybe Brander's management is pushing hard, shopping him around etc. Club has $x and no more to offer.

Both parties are testing the market, if he gets a better offer he moves, if not he stays on the clubs terms.

Brander was a prime example of the eagles trying to outsmart everyone else. Brander was ranked as a possible no1 pick after his under 17 year then had a bad 18 year and we went well thats good enough for us…. Seems credits in the bank even extends to our drafting at times …

Just pick the best available whatever it is at that oick we need and leave shitty drafting to others!

Selection table definitely stitched Brander up. Both getting in, and getting out.

Was often overlooked despite doing well in the reserves, or last years "scrimmages".

WAFL form is hard to put a finger on when it's a basket case and our developing players get flogged each week and are supported by a bunch of amateurs.

When Brander DOES finally get a game, we ask him to play the sacrificial defensive Chris Marsden gimp roll, THEN drop him at the first possible opportunity.

Do not past go. Do not collect 200 credits in the bank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On the same show I also caught Malthouse saying we should keep Shepherd OR Hurn - not both.

MM indicated that he believed Shep was on a sharp decline, as a player, already.

Outside commentators always talk a big game about trading and delisting the talent in other clubs - but none of these bigmouths did it when in the same position to do so.
Why? Because this is the AFL, not the NBA. You don't/cant just trade players against their will.
And you dont just 'get rid of' a faithful club stalwart such as Shepherd like that - it's hardly a move that inspires loyalty and you can disenfranchise players.

Even if we did it, the logic isn't there.
If Shep is no longer best 22 and there truly is a better younger player under him then let the transition occur naturally.
Why get rid of depth? Especially if you want to be contending. (that's right, I still think we should be aiming to contend next year).

Also he had one bad year - let's wait and see if it really was an off season or if he has started his decline, he's 30, not 34.

Last edited:
Selection table definitely stitched Brander up. Both getting in, and getting out.

Was often overlooked despite doing well in the reserves, or last years "scrimmages".

WAFL form is hard to put a finger on when it's a basket case and our developing players get flogged each week and are supported by a bunch of amateurs.

When Brander DOES finally get a game, we ask him to play the sacrificial defensive Chris Marsden gimp roll, THEN drop him at the first possible opportunity.

Do not past go. Do not collect 200 credits in the bank.
Nah pretty sure brander was dropped for that squib in the goal square vs essendon where he pulled out of the high ball and tippa crumbed and goaled .

Those are non negotiables at afl level .

Cameron and Brander both appearing to have walked out on the club is a ******* terrible look regardless of who's to blame.
Brander hasn't walked out on the club he just doesn't like his new contract offer .
He was the one that insisted on staying and fighting for his position in the team .

It will come down to stay for 1-2 years at a lower rate or find another club who will offer more .

Doesn't look like he has had much interest

Surely going to the draft, which is what he's apparently doing if we can't find someone to trade with, means he's going to be on less than what we'd be offering.

Draftees don't get paid a huge amount. Even less if it's rookie or pre season draft obviously.

I don't think it's about money. I think it's about role and opportunity. Clearly what he wants in that regards compared to what we've done and can offer isn't compatible.

I mean jesus, Kennedy just keeps going and going, Oscar doesn't get dropped even when he's awful/injured. Nobody should be surprised Branders disgruntled.

Pretty much what Badge said. It’s odd. They obviously saw enough of him over the summer while he had permission to train to think he warranted more of a look, but then decided he wasn’t worth persisting with? I’d have thought that decision could have been made earlier.

Others think he has the tools but is a long way off. I don't know the answer here hence my asking. As he has now been delisted, does he become a delisted free agent? Club says go back and develop, we'll stay in touch and provide support, and when you are ready you can nominate us? Hence avoiding the draft?

Since 2018 we've had no selections that look capable of being AFL players. Think about. 3 STRAIGHT YEARS OF PLAYERS WHO ARE NO LONGER AT THE CLUB OR WON'T MAKE IT.

SMH

Since 2018 we've had no selections that look capable of being AFL players. Think about. 3 STRAIGHT YEARS OF PLAYERS WHO ARE NO LONGER AT THE CLUB OR WON'T MAKE IT.

SMH
Luke Edwards *shocked Pikachu face*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back