Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking back at this thread, who would have thought we would be waving Robbie goodbye in 2021, after 174 games and him accepting 2 years elsewhere.

Was touch and go he didn't become another JWS.

Cant begrudge him at all and wish him nothing but success.

Having said that, I'm not sure Richmond will be that far in front of us within 12 months. I certainly don't think they will win another flag.
I have to agree mate.
I like your list a lot.
The difference between the first and second halves of this season was quite amazing.
I think we have two years left in us to compete but don’t think we salute again.
Roos on the other hand are set up very well.
Peace.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I have to agree mate.
I like your list a lot.
The difference between the first and second halves of this season was quite amazing.
I think we have two years left in us to compete but don’t think we salute again.
Peace.
Agree Tugga. You are like the thylacine. A rational Tigers man.

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
I have to agree mate.
I like your list a lot.
Peace.

You guys will make the 8 next year, maybe even the 4.

I just think 31 year old Dusty isn't going to be as influential as 26-29 year old Dusty. Same with Riewoldt, Cotchin etc

Taz probably falls into that category too.

Anyway, if you make it to the pointy end again, I think you will have a lot of North fans cheering you on based on him playing.

In a better era, he would be remembered as one of the greats and should have a min 2 AA jackets.

You guys will make the 8 next year, maybe even the 4.

I just think 31 year old Dusty isn't going to be as influential as 26-29 year old Dusty. Same with Riewoldt, Cotchin etc

Taz probably falls into that category too.

Anyway, if you make it to the pointy end again, I think you will have a lot of North fans cheering you on based on him playing.

In a better era, he would be remembered as one of the greats and should have a min 2 AA jackets.
Good summary mate.
all good. If we pinch another one I will be happy but am happy anyway.
Never expected us to win one let alone three.
Roos are my tip to be the leagues big risers next year. Can see 7th or 8th.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wish him all the best. He deserves success as much as the likes of Goldy with how much of the burden he carried as one of our key position players.

Will never forget his leadership in that backline when our young guys were being beaten by their opponent. He is still a North man to me and always will be.

Wow some big time meltdowns on here!
Remember our 99 Premiership team?
11 of them played elsewhere at sometime after that game!
Allison, Bell, Capuano, Carey, Martyn, McKernan, Motlop, Mooney, Pickett, Pike, Welsh.
Completely different scenarios.

yeh there is a lot of love for him in here and I get it. At the end of the day he’s a 33 year old key defender next year and he’s averaged under 12.5 games a year across his career.

don’t get me wrong at his peak he was great. But he’s not in my top 3 defenders at our club historically
Top 5?

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
All the best for the future Robbie.

As soon as he runs out in the yellow sash, cue w***er commentary "ornament of the game - should have 3x AA, robbed - NM dropped the ball letting arguably the best key defensive player they've had in 2 decades go etc etc"

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wow some big time meltdowns on here!
Remember our 99 Premiership team?
11 of them played elsewhere at sometime after that game!
Allison, Bell, Capuano, Carey, Martyn, McKernan, Motlop, Mooney, Pickett, Pike, Welsh.
IIRC Welsh left for family reasons, Mooney was traded, Martyn (and perhaps Allison and Pike) weren't offered new contracts, McKernan wanted to escape Pagan and Bell wanted to return home. I can't remember why Carey left. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 30, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Sad to see him go but whatever, prob only had 1 or 2 years left anyway. Watch the media now talk him up like Alex rance

No longer a NMFC player.

Sad really.

Yeah, I'm disappointed and sad about it too. One of our heart and soul players. Doesn't feel right that he's going to be wearing other colors.

Having said that, I was also disappointed and sad about losing Ben Brown, and Wellsy before him. The silver lining is that I got over both really quickly. Like, before Christmas both times.

Anyone else reckon the club statement was just the slightest bit... off?

It reads fine but something about it feels strange.

We upped our offer and he still decided to go.

Can only suggest he was offended by the one year, which considering his age and recent injury - don't think he's justified in being aggrieved.

Get the feeling the Brown and Tarrant situations are still residual effects of the club re-signing senior players on chunky contracts with no performance attached to it during the 2010-19 era , and any time the club hasn't caved, we've seen the players leave in sour circumstances.

Chat Pile

Hammers and grease.
Sweet F.A. Reigning Premiers - Gumbies - SFA
Jun 29, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
We arent? Most of it is congratulations and celebrating his career with us.. perhaps you should post this question in the ccj thread.
I'd say the thread has been 99% supportive and those that aren't just are surprised. We went through the same with Higgins last season. Can't speak for other forums like Twitter or Facebook but if you're basing it on the North board it comes off a little like wishful thinking. From my observation one supporter base is being supportive of their player looking for a different opportunity and another has torn a guy to shreds for looking for a different opportunity, I'll let you work out which one is which.
Like you guys did with deleido 😱
To be fair he asked why supporters, not all supporters and not just north supporters get bitter, then framed it within the context of this situation. It wasn't personal. Also....
I hope the door hits him on the arse on his way out. fu** him.
And that's just one, I've seen plenty in here (not a majority though). There's plenty of it on the tigers board and every club board on this site whenever a much loved or required player leaves. Each supporter base will also be able to rationalise the bitterness of their fellow supporters better than oppo supporters will because they are the closest to it.

The bitterness is usually proportional to the love of the player. To deny it just because an oppo supporter raises the question is a bit silly and pointing out other clubs doing it doesn't erase the bitterness in your own camp.

Last edited:

Chat Pile

Hammers and grease.
Sweet F.A. Reigning Premiers - Gumbies - SFA
Jun 29, 2021
AFL Club
Richmond
Age is a concern but very excited at what he can bring on and off the field. Was a bit jealous of you lot when he was running hot. Probably won't reach that peak with us. Would be nice if we could help him to a flag, but I'm not sure that'll happen.

Reckon you guys will be laughing in a few years once CCJ gets going.

Intothewind

Team Captain
Jan 1, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Bloody good player at his best. Wasn't as good this year coming back from some time off though.

Was reported he hated the hub and looked at leaving last year. In life that normally means he found out some of his teammates were f-wits and could no longer stand the sight of them. Might have saw how s**t we where going to be this year and felt too bad to leave, but now sees wer'e going be alright and has made peace with leaving.

It's more polite to say he's leaving for a flag at Tigers than give the real reason whatever it may be.

Glad he's healthy now and hope he does really well at Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back